Temples around Chennai
  • There is some information about this temple and RajaRaja Chola. I have read it in 'Theivaththin Kural".

The Great Raja Raja Cholan, has given immense wealth for developing Arts and Artists too. There was 'Kottaattupaattu', which was Kottu - Strike, percusion instruments, Aattu - Dance, and Paattu - Songs. And this was also performed here, and it is said there is a Sirpam on this in this temple. Let me go refresh the article and wite on that. May be someone who is aware, please write.

On Thiruvanmiyur...

It seems Valmiki Munivar, who had heard a lot about Shiva Thaandava, want to witness it. And he performed penance to please Lord Shiva. The Aasuthoshi, Lord Shiva, one who is easily pleased, told him to go to Thiruvaanmiyur, Vaalmeeki mahamuni also came here and witnessed it.

Very near to the temple, in the middle of the highway, we have Valmiki Munivar's temple, a small one.

Planned or Co-incidentally, the adjacent locality is called Valmiki Nagar. It is a 'Paadal petra thalam' by Sundarar. Being proximity to Pallava Raajadhaani, Kaanchipuram, may be it is related to Pallavas. I am not sure of Great Cholas related information.

Rajendhra Cholan!
  • Would really love to join the trip. But if its more than a day, then January would be perfect, since there are some exams. Regarding our tour itinery, there is a temple in Tiruninravur, built by Rajasimha pallavan Hridhayalishwar. Its really wonderful. This was constructed by him for the sake of Poosala naayanar, who was one of the 63 nayamars. It seems that Rajasimha pallava had a kumbabishekam fixed on a particular date at Kanchi. But shiva in his dream appeared and asked him to postpone it since he had to attend this kumbabishekam at Tiruninravur. The king was set to find out the temple which shiva preferred to his temple. When he reached the place it seems that there was this poor man, who constucted the temple in his heart alone, hence the name Hridhayalishwara. Then he constructed the temple as was dreamt by Poosala nayanar.
    And there is one vaishnavite temple of Bhaktavatsala perumal and the goddess is 'Ennai petra Thayar', which dates back to pallava period. Then when we move some way down in a place called Suruttapalli, near Tiruvallur, I remember having seen a temple of shiva, lying in the lap of Parvati. Normally we see only Vishnu as 'Palli konda perumal'. But here it is shiva and I have not seen anything of this sort before. The sthala puranam is that shiva after his intake of kalakoota poison, was resting for some time here. The place is really beautiful.
    These are also real places of interest.
    We need to decide whether we are to move north/south of Madras.
  • Yes, "Suruttupalli", is on its way from Periyapaalayam to Thirupathi. The presiding diety is "Palli Konda Eashwaran". the temple priest told me that it was constructed during the period of VijayaNagara Samraajya.

After intaking the HaalaHaala poison, the Aalaalakanda, it seems will act as if he has lost the balance. Godess Parvati, will make him lie on her lap and will soothen his 'Kanta'.

There is also a sannidhi for Maragadhaambikai, in this temple. This is the Temple for 'Pradosham'. And of late Suruttu palli, is in accessible on the day of pradosham.

But if the size and sculputure is noticed, it closely resembles to the Sirkaali temple. There is a sannidhi, that we need to take from back and climb up the stairs and have a darshan. There is God and Godess in a Huge form.

Kindly give me some time, I want to write about two temples, not that that famous.

1. Kamaakur - Near Arani
    2. Palaivananaathar - Near Pazhaverkaadu

Rajendhra Cholan!
  • Great and interesting. Let us get this going. 1 - 2
    day trip is OK for me.
  • Hi All,

I must congratulate the members of this group on their outstanding
    knowledge (and desire to learn) on history. As a tamilian who grew up
    in the north and hence wasn;t exposed to tamil history all that much
    during my school days (apart from the mandatory references to
    Pallava-Mahabalipuram and Raja Raja Chozha), Ponniyin Selvan and
    Kalki;s other novels were a starting point for my tamil history
    learning drive. I must say that joining this e-group has been
    immensely beneficial in terms of what I have learnt. Please keep the
    emails going people.

Also am mildly jealous of all the trips you people are planning. As an
    Indian living outside India, I can't really participate in these but I
    hope you all would share your experiences and photographs on the
    group.

CHeers,

Arun

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:04:42 -0800 (PST), Venkateswaran Kasirajan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters