Indian History - Lost works (Treasure!)
  • With all respects to Dr Radhakrishnan, I agree with the view that we somehow missed out in recording our history and rather went behind stories. We still continue to be so.Like Babar Nama, Humayun Nama - thereare works on kings like - Thagadur Yattirai, Pandikkovai, Nandikkalambagam, Kalingaththupparani, Vikrama Chozhan Ula etc.. Of cource, they contain more "Agam" subject but still works are availble. That shows that we as a society lost many such works and it has nothing to do with sprituality.

But a few scholars spent their life in bringing out the history from excavations, coins, inscriptions. They should be respected and their works should be preserved.

Though there are many inscriptions and Copper plates of Vijaya Ganda Gopala, they are scattered. Simillarly Parthivendra Pallavan. Actually he is a contempraray of Parantaga( Could not have been the friend of Aditya Karikala). I understand that a scholar from TN Archeology department brought a book on him but not availble now. Parthibendra Pallava gave grants to Thirumullaivayil, Vellaivasal and for temples around Porur, Pullalur.

The Thirumalpuram ( Konar Kovil) inscription even mentions the name of his charioter as Kannan. Parantaga built a temple for Rama at Pullalur ( the standing brick structure might be that but again speculation only) and Partivendran's queen gave jewellary to this Rama.

http://poetryinstone.in/tag/pullalur

The first recorded epigraph of Tirumala - Of Kadava queen Samavai - is speculated to be from this family ( not his queen)

Even the recorded bits and pieces need to be structured. History is very imporatant and need to be recorded. Taking shelter under sprituality for our failures is just an excuse.
  • > Even the recorded bits and pieces need to be structured. History is very imporatant and need to be recorded. Taking shelter under sprituality for our failures is just an excuse.

very rightly said
    just look around in wiki for kings of france italy and england in 10th century and compare it with our recording system

all societies try to introduce fiction in the lives of their heroes
    alexander the great had this benefit long after he died
    Alexander romance is any of several collections of legends concerning the mythical exploits of Alexander the Great. The earliest version is in Greek, dating to the 3rd century

poets went so far as to invent a tryst between Alexander and Thalestris, queen of the mythical Amazons. (According to Plutarch, when Onesicritus read this passage to his patron Lysimachus, one of Alexander's generals who went on to become a king himself, Lysimachus quipped "I wonder where I was at the time.")
  • all societies try to introduce fiction in the lives of their heroes

Yes sir - People in my office started doubting my history knowledeg after i said that the shadow of big temple shadow do fall, the crest stone is not a single piece, no sarappallam etc.

For them - The shadow don't fall, the stone is given by the "idli patti", sarappallam, growing nandi etc etc are more imporatant and true.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters