Ponniyin Selvan, Art and VFX Department, Wish List
  • Vanakkam,
    My name is R.C.Kamalakannan. By profession I'm called Visual effects supervisor and consultant. Magadeera ( Maaveeran ) and Naan Ee ( Eega)are some of the Films I was a VFX Supervisor. I was in telugu industry for almost a decade and now joined (L.V.)Prasad Group, Chennai, as Visual Effects Consultant.
    I'm currently trying to come out with what we call, Art Department and VFX Job List , if Ponniyin Selvan is made as a Film. Please, no producer/director has commissioned me yet. I'm doing it as it is my passion. Since it will be a Period Film, I calculated that the Pre-production work alone ( before going to sets/shooting ) for, Ponniyin Selvan Movie, will take between 12-15 months. Hence, like to be prepared early.

The following is the list I prepared on the Mudhal Baagam, till chapter Five.

Mudhal Baagam

Veeranam Lake and its environment.
    City streets, where Vandhiyadevan meet Periya Pazhavettayar's procession.
    Kadambur Sambuvarayar Palace.
    Kadambur Sambuvarayar Andhapuram (outside & inside).
    Kuravai Koothu Medai.
    Vandhiyadevan open sleeping quarters at palace terrace, surrounded by palace rooftops.
    He runs towards Azhvarkadiyan on rooftops, over-hearing Sambuvarayar and company talks.

Now you all know what I'm trying to do. Could anyone already prepared this kind of list and wish to share it with me please 'Or' can anyone help me preparing it. FYI - I've read this Great work twice, in my younger days.

Nandri

Kamalakannan
  • All the very best!
  • Great thought and initiative!! Wish you the Best! This great work deserves incredible research and detail.
  • Excellent.
    Since you were mentioned that u read the novel in you younger days, i suggest you to read it again before u start ur work, it ll give u the clear picture of wat u want.
    All the very best.

Thanks & RegardsPremkumar K
  • Dear Mr. Kamalakannan,

I am a relatively new to this monumental work. I am sure the veterans here will throw lot of light.

Here are a few scenes that come to the mind right away as I keep recollecting the story and its impact on me.. hope its of use.

Arisalaru, aatrankarai
    Tanjai Kottai
    -Periya Madhil suvar
    -The City inside it with all the mada maligaigal
    -The moat around it
    - Arasar Maligai
    - Siraichaalai
    - Pokkisha Kalanjiyam
    Kodikarai
    Kalangarai vilakkam (Where the Sun sets in the Ocean !!)
    Kollivai Pisasu scene
    Buddha Choodamani Vihare
    Ruins in Sri Lanka of an Ancient palace
    Caves in Sri lanka with paintings
    Perehara Scene
    Elephant Pass (aanaiiravu)
    Aditya Karikalan's Ships
    Pallipadai Kaattu mandapam - where the tiny pandiyan is coronated
    The island in Veeranam
    Rajapattai
    Kollupattarai
    temple Where Periya Pazhivettarayar finally comes.
    Streets of Nagapattinam where RR alights an Elephant
    Jothidar Veedu
    Kollida Karai, Malai Gugai
    Vadavaaru and the bridge - where madhurandhagan disappears

A few more

Jetavanaramaya - Very large Buddhist structure in Sri lanka
    Suzhi Kaatru - Fire in the Ship
    Island house where veerapandiyan is killed
    Canals near Kodikkarai
    Thaazhai Pudhar
    Dhoomakedhu
    Birds and Cat, which Young ArulMozhi Varman saves
    Vellam in Kudandhai, Vanadhi floating
    �
  • Thankyou Thirumalai Veerasamy, Ganapathy Subramaniam, Prem, and specially to Poornima Shenbaga moorthy, for sharing the Chapter Wise Location List. Started to read the Great work again as suggested by Prem. Give me a day to go thru' the list Poornima, I might ask some help again.

Kamalakannan
  • Dear Thirumalai, 

Thanks for these links! Shows the fascination towards Ponniyin Selvan by so many.
    Its indeed an intriguing thing, as we know even as early as the 60s MGR kept attempting making a movie.

It goes to show the mammoth task involved. It would certainly take more than human efforts to make PS take a new Avatar. 
    I guess the likes of Mr Kannan can make a difference with today's access to technology and the possibility it brings in creating and rendering hyper realistic worlds.

I personally still believe that the story as it is written in text form will be the best possible version. Its carved in stone for eternity just like the characters and the events that the genius Kalki spun and penned:) 

Best Regards.

Please also check our earlier discussion

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=site:ponniyinselvan.in/groups/ponniyinselvan+animation

http://ponniyinselvan.in/groups/ponniyinselvan/forum/topic/35121-ponniyin-selvan-animation-movie-trailor/
  • Dear Kamal,
    Hearty congratulation to you and good luck. Ill pray to the god for your success. Now, you going to work for story board or screen play? One time I discuss with Mr.sushi ganesan(director) associate with Mr.manirathnam regarding this project. If you going to do story discussion,ill also join the team if you agree. And good luck for your project.
  • Hi KamalaKannan Sir,

Glad that the list helped you. I will try to provide help as much I could.

Good Luck to start the work!
  • Dear Minish,
    There are tons of prelim work to be done, even before storyboards are to be laid out. Screenplay is the Film Director's concern. Thanks for your wushes.

Kamal
  • thanks thiru and good openien
  • Hi Kamal,

First of all, hats off for the effort...

I have a feeling that the pixar of the tamil film industry will be the one
    to produce a world class ponniyinselvan. And if you build a reusable
    framework, you can repeat it over and over again which can be commercially
    very successful, and also be a great aid to teach history to school
    Kids.

Pl let me know if you need help. We could meet and talk. ..
  • Dear M,
    Thankyou for your kind words.. Doing PS as a full fledged 3d Animated
    feature, that runs into several episodes, in Tintin kind of quality, would
    be very difficult at present, unless the script can be Americanised like
    Alladin, which will sacrifice everything Amarar Kalki visualised..
    The next best thing is a Live Action feature film. I refused to think about
    it, when it was discussed with in the team, 4/5 years before. But after the
    two telugu vfx features, Magadeera and Eega, I believe there is a remote
    chance to pull it off, if planned neatly. It is still a monumental task.
    It can be done quicker, if I can concentrate on it 24/7. Sadly, my present
    job description doesn't allow it. Let me pray Lord Muruga, to show me the
    path, as he was doing always.

Thankyou

Kamalakannan
  • VERY NICE TO KNOW OF YOU DEAR KAMAL.K.

MAHADEERA VISUAL EFFECT WONDERFUL.

WELCOME TO OUR WONDERFUL GROUP..

WE HAVE SRI SRI - WHO RELEASED PS AUDIO..

VENKAT .. WHO PUBLISHED KAVIRIMYNDHAN - SEQUAL TO PS

DR. KAILASAM - WHO PUBLISHED PREQUAL..

MR. BHARATH .. FOCUSSING ON AUDIO / PS - USING VARIOUS CHARACTERS..

MR. RAMESH - WHO SHARED HIS CARTOON / PS - TRAILOR WITH US..

MAJIC LANTERN / KOOTHU PATTARAI IS THE ONLY GROUP WHICH ENACTED PS DRAMA - ALMOST A DECADE BACK.. WHO SHARED THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH US IN SOME OF THE MEETS...

VERY GLAD TO HAVE YOU AMONG US.. PLS DO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE RE PS AND ENRICH US..

ANBUDAN / sps & other moderators
  • vanakkam i have already released an audio book of sivagamiyin sabatham with 35 artistes 3 songs music special effects etc now i have already made an audio book of ponniyin selvan which will be released shortly this is of 70 +hours duration with as many as 60 artistes and 15 songs i may be also included in your list thanks bombay kannan
    many of our members have listened and appreciated sivagamiyin sanbatham
  • congrats
  • Thankyou Mr.Kannan. Appreciate your reply. Keenly awaiting your audio book release. All the very best.

Kamalakannan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters