Musukunda chakravarthy
  • Yaa, Thiruvarur Temple I have some information:
    Its was build ( restructured) by a women called Paravai Nachiyaar , she is basically a thevardiyar, lived in the period of Rajendra Cholan, Paravai got friendship of Rajendra Cholan and with his help she converted the temple, before that it was Sengal temple ( i Mean ordinary Stone) .

Even today we can see inscription and more she donated a BIG Brozne Lamp to the temple thats also still there.

Shankar
  • Dear Sankaranarayanan,

I am sure there should be more references

re SAPTHA VIDANGA STHALAMs in Deyvathin Kural !

Also would like to clarify that the posting on Rama could be SLIGHTLY SPACED to enable members to read and cherish ...

By no way discouragement / slow down meant.

rgds/ sps

========
  • dear SPS,
    I don't know what 'chistle' is. Can you explain?
    Do you mean carved? like not carved = Svayambhu?
    kathie
  • Chistle is the Iron instrument used to break/shape rocks using a hammer.

Its similar in shape of a 'crowbar' but very small in size, just fits in
    palm...A sculptor holds a chistle in one hand and a hammer on the other, and
    hits the chistle to break the rock and shape it.

My 2 paise :)

Satish
  • Hi Satish,
    I think the spelling is chisel not chistle, and thats what confused Kathie. I did not mean any offence my friend.
  • Thanks, it was the spelling. Chisel.
    kathie
  • ---

Musukunda Chakravarthy
    The Legend is - Once Shiva and Parvathi were sitting under a Bilwa tree. A monkey sitting on the tree unknowingly plucking the vilva leaf and dropping down, which fell on lord Siva. Siva was pleased with the Vilvarchana and gave a boon that the monkey will be born as a Great King. The Monkey requested him that he be born with the face of a monkey so that people in the world ( Boolog) realise the benefit of worshipping Siva and understand even a monkey can become a king with the grace of the lord.

His image is in a pillar - dont remeber the place.

His minister's name was Amudogar who built the Alangudi siva temple ( Gurusthalam)
    regards

sankar
    regards

sankar
  • THEN I SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE.

SHOULD TAKE DEAR MEMBER KOTHANADRAMAN'S ADVICE MORE SERIOUSLY...

(jokingly Advice or Advise ? )

rgds/ sps
  • attached pillar from Perur - locals claim this is muchukundan
  • "chisel" is just atoolfor chipping materials. It cannot be called an "instrument".

VKRi

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters