The date of GKC
  • Dear all,

Could the legendary members pls clarify me that,

Is there any inscriptional evidence mentions the date of GKC from when it was active as the capital.

Alberuni's notification about the chola country little differs from the scholars words.

Pls clarify me.
  • Dear Sakthi Sree
    GKC became an active capital from the 17th year of RJC. But his 17th and
    18th year inscriptions were not readable. His inscription on 242th day of 19th
    year is on the south wall( 1st and 2nd tiers,) in the central shrine of
    Rajarajeswaram Big Temple, Thanjavur clearly states he ordered from his new
    capital GKC for 2000 kalams of paddy to be supplied to the priest of the temple.
    I will look for other references if any.
  • http://www.poetryinstone.in
    “*Here the language of stone surpasses the language of man*” – Nobel
    laureate, Rabindranath Tagore
  • There is a place by name Ganagikondan near Tiunelveli

should visit some time.
  • Hi

If GKC's abbreivation is Gangai konda cholapuram means, then it is near by Kumbakonam and called as Jeyamgondan. Also there is a palace like Raja rajeswarar temple. And it may be Cholla's capital when Rajendara Cholan's period.

Devi.
  • Dear all,

As I have asked about the date of GKC... I had a confusion by the
    notification of Alberuni, who is praised by the scholars as one of the great
    scholars of Medieval india, who eventually succeeded in Finding the Radius of
    the Earth.

His Arabic notifications has been translated by Mr. sacchu… He hastitled the
    book as “ ALBERUNI’S INDIA in 1030 A.D. ". It’s a two volumed content, in the
    first volume, a section has been alloted by Alberuni to mention the country
    profile.

In the book the translator has notified the Names of the places, as mentioned in
    the original document by alberuni…

The following details are the notification ofAlberuni about the coastal regions
    and the internal regions also…

East Coast:

Other tracts of country extend from the Tree of Prayaga southward towards the
    coast. Arku-tirtha, 12 farsakh from Prayaga; the realm uwaryahar, 40 farsakh ;
    Urdabishau on the coast, 50 farsakh.

Thence along the coast towards the east there are countries which are now under
    the sway of JAUR ; first Daraur, 40 farsakh from Urdabishau ; Kanji, 30 farsakh,
    ; Malaya, 40 farsakh ; Kunk, 3o farsakh, which is the last of Jaur's possessions
    in this direction.

The scholars who deals with these details says that “ JAUR ” notifies CHOLA... (
    I think, Alberuni already done the thing, that’s what the british scholars
    wrote,CORA instead of COLA )

1 Farsakh ==> 4 Miles ( by Mr. sachhu )

West Coast:

The places on the coast are :

Tawallesvar, 50 farsakh from Daibel ; Loharani, 12 farsakh; Baga,
    12 farsakh; Kacch and Baroi 6 farsakh; Somnath, 14 farsakh; Kanbayat, 30
    farsakh; Asawil, 2 days ; Bihroj, 30 farsakh (?) ; Sandan, 50 farsakh ; Subara,
    6 farsakh ; Tana 5 farsakh.

Then he Mentions Other details ,

Thence the coast-line comes to the country Laran,
    in which lies the city of Jimur, then to Vallabha,
    Kanji, Darvad.

Next follows a great bay in which
    Singaldib lies, i.e. the island Sarandib (Ceylon).

Around the bay lies the city of Panjayavar (sic). When this
    city had fallen into ruins, the king, Jaur, built instead
    of it, on the coast towards the west, a new city which
    he called PADNAR.

The next place on the coast is ummalnara, then Ramsher
    (Rameshar ?) opposite Sarandib ; the distance of the
    sea between them is 12 farsakh. The distance from
    Panjayavar to ramsher is 40 farsakh.

I have a question to the members that is

" whats are thelocalnames ofthe capitals mentioned by ALBERUNI. "

thanking you

sakthi sree...
  • Gangai that mentioned here may not be the Varanasi to my knowledge.

The Gangamma river in Karnataka near Gokarna find a place in records of history. This I think I already shared with you. There is a Village
    This Gokarna finds a place in the book of Claudius Ptolemaeus,
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy) and Periplus
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periplus_of_the_Erythraean_Sea) who belongs to
    first century A.D. visited these coastal area and mentions about the ports
    through which cloths were exported.These two ports are mentioned in
    Mahaaniddesa (A Buddist Book) in B.C.250.

Periplus mentions about a port Angidii which may be Angadi which lies 7 kms
    from present Gokarna. This place was called Malai Nadu as the coastal areas
    were protected by mountains and Claudius Ptolemaeus quotes that they can
    enter the coast with guide.

This area was ruled by Mauriya Emperor in B.C.3rd BCE.

In the Sathavahana Empire (B.C. 235 to A.D.90-150, the empire did trade from
    Sea to Sea and were documented by Pliny, Strabo and Periplus. The notices are
    supported by various inscriptions. The port of Calliena (may be the place where
    river Gangamma meets the Sea) figures in several Buddists Cave
    inscriptions (H.B.Sarkar, Trade and Commercial Activities of Southern India in
    the Malaya- Indonesian world up to A.D.1511., Vol I., Firma KLM Pvt ltd.,
    Calcutta 1986)

After Sathavahana, this place was ruled by Gangas The Western Ganga Dynasty
    (350–1000 CE)

Abu Abd Allah Muhammad al-Idrisi al-Qurtubi al-Hasani al-Sabti or simply
    Al Idrisi, who visited this area in 1099–1165 or 1166., mentions about
    many ports in this area. (At the order of the King, al-Idrisi produced a silver
    celestial sphere and an enormous map of the world in disk form cast on a silver
    base. As a commentary to it, he wrote his large geography of the world. It was
    completed in January 1154 and became known as the Book of Roger in
    recognition of the King's important role in sponsoring it.)

He mentions about a Port located near West bank of Ganges which is none
    other than Present Gangamma river near Gokarna.(H.B.Sarkar, Trade and Commercial
    Activities of Southern India in the Malaya- Indonesian world up to A.D.1511.,
    Vol I., Firma KLM Pvt ltd., Calcutta 1986 page no 204.)
    After Western Ganga Dynasty The rule of the Chalukyas
    marks an important milestone in the history of South India and a golden
    age in the history ofKarnataka. The political atmosphere in South India
    shifted from smaller kingdoms to large empires with the ascendancy of Badami
    Chalukyas. For the first time, a South Indian kingdom took control and
    consolidated the entire region between the Kaveri and the Narmada rivers. The
    rise of this empire saw the birth of efficient administration, overseas trade
    and commerce and the development of new style of architecture called
    "Chalukyan architecture" and Kannada Litreture, which had enjoyed
    royal support in the 9th century Rashtrakuta court found eager patronage from
    the Western Chalukyas in theJain and Vashnava traditions. The 11th
    century saw the birth of Telugu Literature under the patronage of the
    Eastern Chalukyas.

In A.D.1000 Raja raja I gained foot in this area. After seven years
    Hoysala gained entry in this area, in North Karnataka and South Karnataka
    was ruled by Yadavas. After this in A.D.1294 Mohamadian force entered in this
    area with Allaudin as chief and Bhamini Kingdom was established in 1347.
    Malikaffur entered this place and looted many temples and traders.and next 135
    years there were struggles between Vijaya Nagara and Bhamini Emperors.In A.D.
    1490, Vijaya nagara Minister Narasinga entered. Then Krishna raya from
    1509-1529.

The Bahamani kingdom in India extended from the northern Deccan region to the
    river Krishna. This empire was founded by Hasan Gangu who waged a battle
    against Muhammad bin Tughlaq and freed the Bahamani kingdom. He ruled under the
    title of Bahman Shah and was declared the founder of the Bahamani dynasty. This
    kingdom was in constant war with the Vijayanagar kingdom which was located to
    the south of the Bahamani kingdom. The Bahamani kingdom was founded around the
    year 1346.
  • Thank you ramachandran sir,
  • Thanks ramachandran sir, for such detailed informations.

After I read, the notifications of alberuni, in the search of local names I have tried to transliterate and translate those names in google.

It gives me,

Panjayavar as bangayavar

Padnar as tanjunr

As it's phonetic sound bangayavar as the name may be the Palayarai. I remember that its also served as one of the capitals of the cholas.

Tanjunr, which directly sounds the tanjore, which was the capital before GKC.

As the notifications of alberuni belongs to the year 1030. It could be considerable as the GKC was not READY in the same year.

That's why I ask about the date of GKC.

Sir, As you mentioned about my note about Varanasi as the Ganges mentioned in Rjc's meikeerthi, I have to clarify the same.

If any king claims the hold of Ganges, it must be done as the whole Ganges must be conquered.

As it has been mentioned in matsya purana, the Sindh River in Pakistan, Ganges river in India and the river jamna

After I read, the notifications of alberuni, in the search of local names I have tried to transliterate and translate those names in google.

It gives me,

Panjayavar as bangayavar

Padnar as tanjunr

As it's phonetic sound bangayavar as the name may be the Palayarai. I remember that its also served as one of the capitals of the cholas.

As the notifications of alberuni belongs to the year 1030. It could be considerable as the GKC was not READY in the same year.

Sir, As you mentioned about my note about Varanasi as the Ganges mentioned in Rjc's meikeerthi, I have to clarify the same.

If any king claims the hold of Ganges, it must be done as the whole Ganges must be conquered.

As it has been mentioned in matsya purana, the Sindh River in Pakistan, Ganges river in India and the river jamna In Bangladesh which is also called as Brahmaputra.

In another term, the western ganges in uttrapatha, central Ganges in madhya desa and the eastern ganges in Purva desa.

With out conquering these three gas
  • Please plan a visit to Gokarna, Angidi where there are Jaina temple od AD 700 similor to the hall of Peruvudaiyar koil.

Rajaraja I might have made the hall like this after visiting these temples.

Please pay a visit
    By the by there is caste called Angidi Chettair. These traders might have accompanied Rajaraja I for trading at the place wherever he gone.

It gives me,

Panjayavar as bangayavar

Padnar as tanjunr

As it has been mentioned in matsya purana, the Sindh River in Pakistan, Ganges river in India and the river jamna In Bangladesh which is also called as Brahmaputra are the whole Ganges.

In another term, the western ganges in uttrapatha, central Ganges in madhya desa and the eastern ganges in Purva desa.

With out conquering these three ganges Ours Rjc cannot claim that, He conquered the Ganges .

Rjc has recorded these three regions

1. One of his Birudhas " purva desamum gangaiyum kataramum konda cholan".

2. His inscription mentions about uttarapatha victory.

3. The meikeeerthi line " veri malar theerththathu eripunal gangaiyum", which is the notification of Varanasi which is the border of Purva desa and madhya desa.

Then only it could be confirmed as he is the who had his hold in the whole GANGES.

Members pls pardon me for the previous interrupted msgs. Due to the typing while travelling it happened.

Thanking you

Sakthi sree

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters