Question on India - on ancient verses
  • Hi All,

Sorry for being so ignorant on this subject. I was just thinking which is the oldest inscription / verse in tamil which mentions about "India". Now, the boundaries of the country is defined; but earlier, I would think it would be their respective country – Chola, Pandya, Chera, othe dynasties in North/Central India.

Or, did they know know about India (Bharath) being a single country, etc? If not in Tamil, is this mentioned in Vedas saying the boundary from Himalayas to Kanyakumari? Perhaps, historians termed India as a country by the common culture / religion?

Thank you!
    Rakki (http://rakkimk.wordpress.com)
  • Hi All,

Sorry for being so ignorant on this subject. I was just thinking which is the oldest inscription / verse in tamil which mentions about “India”. Now, the boundaries of the country is defined; but earlier, I would think it would be their respective country – Chola, Pandya, Chera, othe dynasties in North/Central India.

Or, did they know know about India (Bharath) being a single country, etc? If not in Tamil, is this mentioned in Vedas saying the boundary from Himalayas to Kanyakumari? Perhaps, historians termed India as a country by the common culture / religion?

Thank you!
    Rakki
  • There are references of Himalayas and there are refernces of this culture being one.

since traveling could not post in detail

just a sample from Purananooru - which i posted some times back on vedam and Tamil

அந்தி அந்தணர் அருங்கடன் இறுக்கும்
    முத்தீ விளக்கிற், றுஞ்சும்
    பொற்கோட்டு இமயமும், பொதியமும், போன்றே!

புலவர் சொல்றாரு அந்தியில், அந்தணர் செய்யும் முத்தீ வழிபாட்டில் இமயமும் பொதிகையும்  உறங்க செல்கின்றன. அதாவது இந்த முத்தீ ஓம்பல் இமயம் முதல் குமரி வரை இருந்தது.
  • Dear sirs,

As I remember that, in the ancient days, India was not available as in the present day boundary regions.

In the ancient days, " baratha varsha" Is the notification which contains 5 major divisions.

1. Uttara patha ( north west)
    2. Madhya desa ( central)
    3. Aparanta desa( west)
    4. Purva desa ( east)
    5. Dhakshina patha ( south)

The rivers were the boundaries of these regions.

This some parts of this baratha varsha is present india.
  • Sankar Sir,

Thanks for quoting that from Puranaanooru. That means, people knew that Himalayas existed. I’m still wondering how they are connected to as a single country called “India” and its people. Do the people living at that time have the bond, or the feeling where saying “we are indians”? Is there any references to that sir?

Sakthisree,

Thanks for the reply. So, can we assume “India” is something created / united by the foreign invaders (Mughals, British)? They brought everything together, thus uniting us? Not sure if I thinking this in the correct way. Need some thoughts around this as well.

Please pardon my ignorance.

Thank you!
    Rakki Muthukumar
  • Hi,

This isn't ignorance - it's a very deep question to ponder... Please don't
    apologize for asking great questions! ;-)
  • Dear Member
    India was not definitely created as one nation by foreign invaders. As an
    Indian you dont have to read foreigners' texts for evidances. There are lot of
    references in our old literature.
    In Mahabharatha, Bhishma Parva in its first two chapters Jambhu Kanda
    Nirmana Parva and Bhoomi Parva (total 12 chapters) tells the divisions of world
    and Bharthavarsha which contains 56 countries and its sub kingdoms and kings
    totalling 171 and their boundaries. Vishnu Purana and some other puranas are
    also gives these details.
  • Pretty much what I said sir (though I didn't have the references on hand as
    you do).

My reference to non-Indian sources is for corroboration only. And I used
    examples from the rest of the world to draw parallels to similar situations
    from other places also, in an effort to convince the questioner that this is
    not unique to India alone. Non-Indian sources also tell us that India was
    treated as a whole by outsiders. This is important, because it tells us that
    it's not just the pipe-dreams of a single king. We can't be biased in our
    selection of sources. The more sources we have, the more we can accept.

Having 56 kingdoms and 171 total divisions explicitly shows us that the land
    was *not* politically united, but that it had a certain encompassing
    identity that didn't arise from just politics. I generally don't like the
    term "nation" - it comes with too much baggage. I think "country" or "land"
    are perfectly viable terms for the concept. That's why I keep saying
    "identity" and not "nationality".

Shash
  • Dear Shashwath Sir
    It is little difficult for me to understand what you are arriving at. I
    responded to your statement in the third para.

As for our internal identity...

First of all, recall the phrase "Bhaarata varshe, Bharata Kante". The key word
    here is "Varshe", signifying the monsoon winds. If we apply this classification,
    Bharata Varsha is the land where the monsoon winds blow - a very obvious
    definition of the subcontinent, since the bounding factor for the monsoons are
    the Pamir Knot mountains - the Himalayas, the Hindu Kush and so on. So, there's
    also an ancient identity of India as a whole. I'll call this the "Geographic
    identity".

Politically, I guess you could claim that we were not united through history, at
    least until we were invaded. But then, which country was so united?
    Historically, the fundamental identity of peoples has always been regional or
    local; city states, tribes, etc. An identity as a nation, something bigger than
    regional differences is only imposed externally, by factors such as geography
    and, yes, invasions.
    I tried to tell you that Bharat was already identified to mark a portion of
    the world with geographical divisions, with many kingdoms with their own history
    and not by invasions.

There was a history before Kajini's invasion in north. A history in south
    before Muslim invasions. Our people were identified regionally and locally at
    every portion of the country.
    Previously the kingdoms in south didnt worry about the problems in north
    and similarly in north. Now after we became one nation, our people in south
    joins the army and goes to fight in the northern border. And we care about
    something happening in distant north. Is this you wanted to tell about a nation
    and country?

I understand that your thoughts fly at a higher values, but I feel little
    difficult to grasp to say anything. Kindly explain a little more. please.
  • Let us bite the bullet.
  • Sirs,

As I read in some books ,

It seems to be the the hindusthana was the first notification as the present Indian territory which starts from Sutlej river in Punjab.

The indian scholars before freedom, notifies kabulisthan which is present afganisthan, sindhusthan which is present pakistan, hindusthsan as present India.

It cannot be assumed as the the regions were united by invaders.

I could say " the regions were parted by the invaders."

As it is said in the books the whole baratha varsha starts from the yavana desa and ends at cape komarin. Some islands were included in this baratha varsha.

Chandra dwipa - east Bengal
    Naga dwipa - Sri lanka
    Swarnadwipa - malaysia
    Savakadwipa - java, Indonesia

And some others also.

Thanking you
  • Sir, I think you understood most of what I was trying to say.

Basically, my argument is that it can be said that we became politically
    united only after various invasions. But also, that there was a cultural
    unity, on top of the political and regional diversity. We may or may not be
    called a "nation" in the way that France or Germany are called "nations" (as
    in, we have multiple languages, multiple ethnicities and so on), but in our
    own, very special way, we're definitely a "country" with a unity that cannot
    be only the product of invasions.

I was trying to explain that the original questioner was correct in terms of
    politics, but the concept of belonging isn't a product of politics in the
    first place.

Shash
  • Thanks all for the kind replies. It is definitely wonderful to think about how people would have identified us in the past. So, what I understood by these discussions is : Regions existed in those days, not countries. And, all these foreign invasions brought these regions as a country ruled by a king/ruler be it Mughals or British. But as well those invasions created more countries – such as Pak, SL, etc since all were a part of so-called India region. And, all the patriotism which we have now are for the country “India”, which in the past each kingdom had it’s own like “Chola”, “Chera”, etc.

Did I understand this correctly, sirs?

.RM

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters