places name in chennai
  • I am reading a book on epigraphs of Chennai city and Chengalput district.

Villivakkam

The name is recorded in Thirumullaivayil during Sembian Madevi period as Ambattur Nattu Villipakkam.  In Villivakkam Agastheeswarar temple, a pandya record mentions the place as Gangaikonda Chola nallur of Puzhal kottam in jayamkonda chola valanadu.

The Nandisvarar temple near st thomas mt station is mentioned in RRC period as 
    - Alandur Mahadevar
  • Splendid Sir. We will wait and watch for more.

VKR
  • I am residing in Villivakkam for 45 Years

When I was young I found many inscription on the wall of Sivan Temple which later on white washed and pasted with lime. before 10 years there was a spech among public that the inscriptions mentioned about the properties the temple held and later on few persons to encroach the land found certain inscriptions mentions about the lands that they held prefered to remove them or hide them.

If the lime is removed and inscriptions comes out it will tell many stories.

Some 5-6 years back, one Dr.Raja Velu sr.epigraphist from ASI visited the temple and took copies of inscription at Sakarachariar sannahi.
  • It is not the case of this temple alone. In many temples - inscriptions were removed, damaged as they mention about the land.

Our temples suffer more damage than what it suffered in the hands of Malikkafoor from these people and the people who are renovating the temple. ( Thiruppani)

Recently i went to Takkolam. The temple is sand blasted, tiled ( coverig inscriptions)

Inspite of repeated plea, nothing happens.
  • Money power sir.. everything is contracted out and if they lay tiles, extra
    money, sand blasting extra money...
    who is bothered about culture and heritage.

When i see temples with tiled walls, i feel as if its a bathroom and not a
    place of worship. I dont know how these people have such filthy taste :(
  • It is not only money

Gurukkals feel that it is convenient to clean

The EOs / ubayatharar feel that they have done an excellent job by making it look new.

The Manimangalam Rajagopal swami temple - which has many Rajadiraja/Vira rajendra inscriptions, which tells the history of Rajendra's sons - i was told that those walls are completely painted.

since i am planning to go there for Ramayana series - a friend warned me  after seeing my notes on the temple - warned me that i will have a heart attack, if i visit the temple.

A case of maintaining w.o knowing what it is. The inscriptions give not only info on history - they have many inner meanings of Tantra sastra.

I will go there after 2 weeks once my shock of thakkolam subside.
  • Valasaravakkam - ARE - 1940-41 No 111 - 4Ry of Virarajendra - Simha Month, Punarvasu star

Agreement by a Sivabrahmanan - Tazhuvakkuzhainda Pandian Idar Neeki Bhattan  -to burn a twilight lamp in the temple of Tiruvelvisvarmudaya nayanar at Valliserpakkam in melur nadu - with the wife of another Sivabrahmana of Kommiapakkam.

This temple was found ruined in 1940.

Local residents - Can you confirm me the temple. In 1988, A lingam was found in the tank bund and a temple was built and locals refer the lord as Agastheeswarar. Locals pl confirm whether there is any other temple?

Now the Melur Nadu?  Porur is refered as Perur in Kolappakkam inscriptions. Dont know whether it is a typographical error by ASI/or by the one who read the inscription or whether there is any Melur is nearby?
  • Dear Sankar Sir
    Valliserpakkam, Kolapakkam of Melur Nadu, Puliyur Kottam was a Buddhist
    Centre in the RRC period. Sri Vijaya Maharaja of Sumatra had a cordial relation
    with RRC and donated land in the area. T.Satyamurthy and Mr. Rajavelu, of ASI
    found some Buddha idols and Ganesa Idols near Agastheeswarar Temple in 2006 and
    made reports.
    Melur is the area where Agastheeswarar Temple is situated and one of the
    divisions of Puliyur Kottam of Chola Nadu. You can see the divisons of Chola
    country in SII Volume 12 Appendix C and D in full. This may help you a little, I
    think. Regards
  • Thanks a lot sir.
  • Is this the same temple on the main road in Arcot road, valasaravakkam?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters