Chidambaram - Golden Roof
  • Not sure whether this has been discussed already and dont remember
    either....

We have discussed that Parantaka I was the one who made the roof of
    Chidambaram temple 'Gold'.
    I came across Appar's padigam in which he mentions 'sem ponninal ezhidhi
    meynda'...meaning the temple had golden roof during Appars period itself.
    The padigam says that 'pon meyndha' was first done by Deva's.

http://www.thevaaram.org/thirumurai_1/songview.php?thiru=5&Song_idField=50020&padhi=002&startLimit=8&limitPerPage=1&sortBy=&sortOrder=DESC

So even before Parantaka I chidambaram had golden roof and may be Parantaka
    I repaired or replenished the golden roof.

I have 'Thevaram - varalaatru muraiyil moolamum uraiyum' by pulavar .P. Ra .
    Natarasan...he mentions that even before Parantaka I, deva;s laid golden
    roof.

Thought sharing with the group.
  • THIS IS A VERY VALID INFORMATION DEAR SATISH ARUN.

SHOULD CHECK WITH SCHOLARS.

VERY VERY USEFUL INFORMATION.

WILL CHECK IN B NATARAJAN's (SRB's son )- THILLAI ALSO.

NOT SURE READ THIS ANYWHERE EARLIER.

VERY BEST REGARDS WITH THANKS.

SPS

============
  • really interesting one satish. I think Venkat had used this verse in
    thillaiyil oru kollaikkaran
  • Dear friends

Siddharthapuri became Chidambaram..thiru chittar ambalam..the high seat of Buddhist learning. The golden roof for the Hall was made even then.The Pallava King,
    King Rajasimha, erected a golden pagoda in Nagapattinam which Thirumangai Alwar desecrated to add the gold to Srirangam temple.
    R. Narasimhan
  • All the ancient ones were destroyed and taken by Malikaffore.
    The present day structure is of Vijayanagara.

After A.D.1500
  • Dear Sir,

There are several Kulothunga period inscriptions avl.

Vijayanagara structures also there.

As mentioned earlier - an extensive study has been made and written and published by Shri.B. NATARAJAN (former GM /Southern Railways) son of Shri. SR Balasubramanian in his Book called THILLAI.

pls refer the same for more details.

regards/ sps

============
  • Very good one Satish.
  • Interesting!! But is it possible that "Sem Pon" means "Copper" instead of "Gold". Maybe experts can throw light.

-SR
  • This night at 10.00 PM the Sun News telecasted a news on Chidambaram!
  • Dear Member clarified that he referred to Mahendra's father King Rajasimha - PALLAVA lineage and related ASI inscriptions

===========

Some one can go into these details.

rgds. sps
  • Dear member Rajan,

That is revealing.

WE HAVE TO REVISIT THE DETAILS AGAIN IN DEPTH.

REALLY MIND AWAKENING..

WE HAVE TO FREE OURSELVES FROM SPECIFIC MIND-SET AND LOOK AT THINGS AFRESH..

thanks and regards/ sps
  • hey

mahendra pallava father was simha vishnu

rahasimha was narasihmavarman II son of parameshwara I and was succeeded by
    parameshwara II

http://www.poetryinstone.in
    Here the language of stone surpasses the language of man
  • There are 2 temples by name sempon.

1. Thevara thalam - sembanarkoil. the thevara name is some thing like sempon . need to check ref. swami name swarnapureeswarar.

2. Thirunangur divyadesam - semponsaipalli.again referred as golden temple.

there were2 moresempon temples that time. and the name of swami is swarnapuri eswarar makes sempon = swarnam.

request members to give the thevara name and divyaprabanda names of these stahals and swamis.
  • Thevara thalam - sempon palli enum sempanar koil

http://www.thevaaram.org/thirumurai_1/koil_view.php?koil_idField=137

can any one check the padigams and confirm. remember reading that both appar and sambandar have sung.
  • Dear member Narasimhan observes:

Simhavishnu or Avanisimha, the son of Simhavarman and thefather of Mahendravarman I, was the first Pallava monarch who extended his dominions beyond Kanchi in the South. He has not left any stone or copper-plate inscriptions, but is known only through the records of his successors. His territory may be said to have extended as far south as the river Kaveri, which is referred to in a record of Mahendravarman I at Trichinopoly as ‘the beloved of the Pallava’.[4] Simhavishnu must have bequeathed this extensive dominion intact to his son and successor as evidenced by the latter’s inscriptions at Trichinopoly (Nos. 8 and 9) and in the Pudukkottai State (Nos. 7 and 7-a)
    During the reign, however, of his son Narasimhavarman II Rajasimha, which was comparatively free from any political disturbance, great progress was made in the direction of temple building. Among the monuments that owe their origin to him may be mentioned the Kailasanatha and the Airavatesvara temples at Kanchi, the ‘Shore Temple’ at Mahabalipuram and the Talapurisvara temple at Panamalai (No. 29). An interesting tradition connected with the construction of the Kailasantha temple is contained in an inscription[16] found therein, which refers to a celestial voice heard by the king. This is evidently an allusion to the story in the Periyapuranam[17] wherein it is stated that the Pallava king was directed to postpone the consecration of this temple, so that the Lord might be present elsewhere at a similar ceremony conducted in the mental plane by Saint Pusalar. Narasimha’s queen, Rangapataka also, raised a small shrine in the same temple.[18] In the Kasakudi plates of Nandivarman Pallavamalla,[19] Rajasimha is said to have bestowed his wealth on temples and Brahmanas. He is further credited with the construction of the Buddhist Vihara at Negapatam, which is commonly known as ‘China-pagoda.[20]’

sps

==========
  • Thevaram org says even thirumanthirum refers about the temple being golden and thirumualr kalam is before appar.

http://www.thevaaram.org/thirumurai_1/nayanmar_view.php?nayan_idField=14
  • Sempon should mean only an alloy of gold snd copper.
    Why should we look for some other meaning?
    R. Narasimhan
  • Dear Friends

scanning the thevaram org randomly on the thevara sthalams.

Intrestingly in kalvettus of Thiruvadigai, there is a news that the somebody - ponveynda- of thiruvadigai temple.

Now consider this info with our " Pon veinda" of tanjore temple.

need to search more.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters