1000il oruvan
  • Friends

So Much effort, conflict between class and mass. I remeber reading in a magazine ( think Kalki) on a movie long back.  ( A movie of of Pratap bothan which was adopted from Irwing wallace's Miracle) That is applicable for this one also.

' It is like standing before Muniyandi Vilas. One side you have sambrani and Jasmine smell and other side mutton & fish smell."

• Watch it only if you like gore and violence.

Women are degraded to a extent that you can't watch the final scenes sitting in a theatre without putting your heads down.
    I felt ashamed that i spent money watching a movie like this.
    It is a disgrace to use the name of Choza in this movie (whether you have a disclaimer or not), described as a dark skinned tribal war lord and what not..!! RRC would have cringed. There are SO many positives from our ancient Tamils which could have been exhibited, i was not even able to find a single one.

Movie takes a ugly turn in the second half. Portrayal of Indian army is the worst it can get and it attracts negative publicity. It is not a wise decision to depict war crime in climax. The movie lacks depth in Story, Script,Editing and the movie gets hijacked by recent events in Sri lanka, without concentrating on the reason where the story started. The Director was not sure how to end the movie though!! No wonder it was in production for more than 2 years.

I was never a fan of selvaragavan, The concept..Searching for ancient statue ( which is equivalent for searching Rathnaharam) and the Tamil which is 1000 years old, was the only reason which made me go to this movie, But when you come out of the theatre you feel like you have been assaulted
  • Hi All,

WE are traditionally dark skinned people. What would we look like, if we are to live in a desert/rocky terrainfor a long time? Dark skinned would be the answer.Kalki clearly says Sundara was first fair skinned chola as his mother was from Vaidumba lineage and hence he was named so, that would also mean most of the chola lineage till that time was dark skinned.

Beauty of the plot is that a tribe or a group of peoplein isolation can retain all the elements of the root culture. Dialogues in the second half have been fine-tuned to retain or show what the people would generally speak, keeping the root words like (vilithal - to call, thagai aarungo - clear your thirst), navakantam, battlefield suicide in the face of defeat ( by the red-colored tribals). Our beloved epigraphist Mr. Ramachandran from Reach foundation has provided consultation on chaste tamil dialoguesfor most of the scenes in the second half.

Battle scenes inspired by 300, still a worthy watch. In the scene where Karthi fights the giant in a gladiator like fashion, 1 young boy beats him to fight and tells him to learn kalari, interesting side point.

Introduction scene of parthiban as the chola lordwhere beats up 7 hungry males jumping to get a hold of flesh, while he stands & hangs his head in silence,to see a young mother squirt blood from her breasts, to show the poverty level of the clan was really touching.

Except for mystic scenes and some unbelievable magic scenes, movie is a treat to watch. ToI review gives this movie a 3 star rating. Keep your ears tuned to hear and understand all the chaste tamil spoken in the second half.

For the violence against women, please do note there are recorded instances in all the wars participated by the indian army, that it was involved in mass atrocities against women, children and unarmed population. Manipur, Kashmir, Punjab, Eelamare a classic instance of such atrocities which havebeen known. Tamilnadu police is not better off, in their search of Veerappan, an entire village has terrorized with systemised violence and justice is yet to reach that village.
  • Yeh,

Indian army was recieved with rose petals in Srilanka, manipur, assam and NE. And you add Punjab.

They were trated as royal guests.

Can you tell us how many army 'police personnel died witin india - In Punjab, manipur, srilanka, assam, kashmir.

Please read Junior Vigadan articles on Indian force.

Learn from US on how to fight terrorism. If i die in bomb blast, it is a news item. If a terrorist dies in police attck ,it is atrocity. Good.

In the whole world, Indian army is the most restrained. It is fighting a war with its hands tied and trap right under.

Nowmy reply will be called propaganda.
  • No where in the movie it is mentioned Indian Army.
    In the beginning they say it is private security involved.
    SO to take the act as Indians Armys work is upto the viewer.

Also to me the the climax is more abt war crimes.
    Reema sen speaks about the war crimes of cholas in between and its directors angle that war crimes will continue through ages. Man is yet to civilize himself completely!

This movie would surely create more furore and discussion. But lets just stop with history part of the movie as we expected it to be. And unfortunately very little of real history is there , though some ancient customs and traditions are well captured.

It going to go into a big vicious discussion if we are going to discuss about Indian Army now!
  • Hi Shanker

very interesting

each of your mail reveals to the group your great knowledge acquired painstakingly by keeping your books close, your eyes shut and your ears well closed.

venketesh

> In the whole world, Indian army is the most restrained. It is fighting a war with its hands tied and trap right under.
    >
    > Nowmy reply will be called propaganda.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
  • > Beauty of the plot is that a tribe or a group of peoplein isolation can retain all the elements of the root culture.

kalki's last story was about a race of tamils isolated for a 1000 years on a pacific island.

venketesh

Dialogues in the second half have been fine-tuned to retain or show what the people would generally speak, keeping the root words like (vilithal - to call, thagai aarungo - clear your thirst), navakantam, battlefield suicide in the face of defeat ( by the red-colored tribals). Our beloved epigraphist Mr. Ramachandran from Reach foundation has provided consultation on chaste tamil dialoguesfor most of the scenes in the second half.
    >
    > Battle scenes inspired by 300, still a worthy watch. In the scene where Karthi fights the giant in a gladiator like fashion, 1 young boy beats him to fight and tells him to learn kalari, interesting side point.
    >
    > Introduction scene of parthiban as the chola lordwhere beats up 7 hungry males jumping to get a hold of flesh, while he stands & hangs his head in silence,to see a young mother squirt blood from her breasts, to show the poverty level of the clan was really touching.
    >
    > Except for mystic scenes and some unbelievable magic scenes, movie is a treat to watch. ToI review gives this movie a 3 star rating. Keep your ears tuned to hear and understand all the chaste tamil spoken in the second half.
    >
    > For the violence against women, please do note there are recorded instances in all the wars participated by the indian army, that it was involved in mass atrocities against women, children and unarmed population. Manipur, Kashmir, Punjab, Eelamare a classic instance of such atrocities which havebeen known. Tamilnadu police is not better off, in their search of Veerappan, an entire village has terrorized with systemised violence and justice is yet to reach that village.
    >
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Nanda
    > http://jobdealsinfo.ning.com
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ________________________________
  • Never in the Movie indian Army is mentioned, though there is a specific
    mention of Ex-Millitary.

As for the movie - I have watched fight seqences in Gladiator with a
    fascination and jealousy with a feeling when an Indian movie is going to
    have this kind of visual clarity. I am so glad that a Tamil Movie was able
    to give that pleasure to me. The movie has its weekness, does lack depth in
    screenplay, but the visual's are really a treat. The fight sequences in the
    arena and the last war sequences are a treat to watch - though it is
    influenced by a lot of hollywood movies, but still to bring it on screen to
    india itself is a great achivement.

The goreness is a drawback, it will make the women flinch and unwatchable
    for children. But that is the truth of any war isn't? I actually see this
    movie as anti-war, showing the cruels of war, any war - in this case which
    eliminates a whole race.

I think, this is the best movie Selvaragavan has made - though it has it
    mistakes. Poineers always makes mistakes.
  • Ha

venkat. Great. Learnt tfrom you that Indian Army and policeare fighting like US army.

If stating contrary is eyes, ears and books closed. let it be.

But You have silently moderated my chidambaram south entrance propaganda proof and not shown to puiblic.

Is that because you read a lot?hear a lot? see a lot? But this is your habit all along.

Good. Umpire is also a player.
  • Hi Shanker
    being a moderator doesnt take away a right to participate in debates.
    and how could i miss a debate with a person like you shanker
    its a pleasure.

venketesh
  •  
    > But You have silently moderated my chidambaram south entrance propaganda proof and not shown to public.

there is no moderation in this group now. so all the more easy for you sanker to exhibit your ignorance on a wide variety of topics

dont you understand you got even the location of the closed door in chidambaram door wrong.
    you dont even know where the door is located in the temple, but consider yourself an expert

what proof did you give.
    every historian in this group knows chidambaram temple possibly was razed to the groud twice and rebuilt after the nandanar episode.

we are all here in this group to learn , not teach or sermonise

venketesh

>
    > Is that because you read a lot?hear a lot? see a lot? But this is your habit all along.
    >
    > Good. Umpire is also a player.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    >
    >
    >
  • Venkat

You are totally going out of focus. The context i said is about "Propaganda"

I siad there is a propaganda going on that the south tower of chidambaram is closed because of Nandanar enterd through that.

I said i saw poster acroos Cuddalore and Pondy on that. ( I did not write the posters either, )

When youasked me when i isited , i said i visted the temple 2 years back.

Later i said, on searching such items are in the net itself as nandanar entrance.

I asked you to tell me

a. Whether it is a false propaganda?
    b. If it is right, then it is our duty ( i said , we should call that a campaign and not propaganda) to open the entrance/door.

You have to tell me whether the statementof closure is right or wrong.

If it is right, i said i will change my self and support that campaign.

In the following it is shown as nandanar entrance. Istead of harping on toer, entrance etc etc, please clarify whether the statement is right or wrong. I will learn. I dont have any " Horn". I will learn and what you to tell me with proof.

Proof of propaganda: Nandanar Entrance ( Thirunalai poovar alies saint Nandanar Enterd here and Mingled with cosmic Dancer Lord Nadraja Now closed for Untouchablity) Nandanar ...
    wikimapia.org/.../Nandanar-Entrance-Thirunalai-poovar-alies-saint-Nandanar-Enterd-here-and-Mingled-with-cosmic-Dancer-Lord-Nadraja-Now-...
  • Hi,

I think mails are getting too personal here. It is turning more as a fight
    rather than a debate. Please restrain.
  • I watched the movie and am totally in search of words to describe the film.

a. What in the bloody world was the director thinking!!!!
    b. The guys who gave a 1/2 star rating were probably drunk watching the movie...

I watched the movie and it left me with a VERY VERY bad taste. Is this the chola portrayal ?

A poor perverted selective mix from all sorts of western movies including snakes in a plane, not to mention copies of 300, gladiator, mummy etc.

The tamil ?? It was more of ilangai thamizh than ancient thanjai (with some words in the mix). Disappointed in that too.

There was no damn story - a pathetic screen play and worse.... no logic what so ever!!!!

Compared to a holistic movie thought, the blood and gore was probably the lightest and easiest part.

Why in the world did it take 2 years for this mayhem!!!

The last scene just depicts the title of the movie, but by that time, you just get the feeling the blair witch project was a breeze of fresh air...

- R
  • the director was on Vijay TV and he said a lot of the depiction was his
    imagination. He was bang-on in understanding that the kings were not gold
    studded as they show in the movies usually (I have not seen this movie - how
    is the king depicted?), and life was not all that rosy those days - it would
    be his victory even if 1% of the population understands that aspect.
  • Well, that i guess all understand 'the rosy - gold studded' part of depiction.
    I am talking the holistic view of the so called movie.

If it was 17 reels, easily 7 are unwanted... 2 - 3 go to the songs, some stupid humor and rest is... phew.

I am even surprised that this is the guy who made kadhal konden.

- R

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters