palace of tamilnadu
  • Dear venkat sir/Dr.Kailsam sir,

Even though there was many  dynasty like chola,chera,pandiyan and pallavas why there were no big palaces (historic palaces) in tamilnadu,if any thing is there pls let me know.

Regards.
    Prabhu.K

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/
  • Dear sps sir,Dear venkat sir/Dr.Kailsam sir

Even though there was many  dynasty like chola,chera,pandiyan and pallavas why there were no big palaces (historic palaces) in tamilnadu,if any thing is there pls let me know.

Regards.
    Prabhu.K

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/
  • Dear Prabu,

Gud query.

Simple answer::

Our Kings placed the Places of worship much ahead of their abode.

Hence their Palaces perished.

But the Places of worship they built / rebuilt survived. Rather were built to survive.

Even their enemies revered the places of Worship - cutting across regional / linguistic affliations.

regards/ sps
  • Hi Prabhu

i think the simple reason is over building.
    the present tanjore fort must have been built over the foundations of the previous ones.

except in case of places which were deserted like gkc

and remember stone was a precious commodity. practically building materiel would be removed for homes.

a typical example was great pyramid of cheops. when earthquake loosened the limestone covering people carted it away.
    closely observe the pyramid and yo can see the top alone as smooth and the rest stepped

venketesh
  • Also, when the enemy wins the country, he destroys the palace and not temples. They give grants to temples in their name after winning.

( Refer Pulikesin III s grants to Kanchi kailsanathar temple after winning it from pallavas. He did not avenge the way Narasimha destroyed Vatapi)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters