KARTHIGAI- HISTORICAL SHORT STORY
  • Dear members,

I have just uploaded the historical short story karthigai in our file section. Our respectable memeber B.Muruganantham commented that

"Excellent story with very good narration. Writing short story
    is difficult and that too with historical background is very difficult.
    Great to read powerful short story after a very long time"
      I request the members to read the story and enjoy and send your valuable comments
  • Dear members,

I
    have just uploaded my historical short story karthigai in our file
    section. Our respectable memeber B.Muruganantham commented that

"Excellent story with very good narration. Writing short story
    is difficult and that too with historical background is very difficult.
    Great to read powerful short story after a very long time"
      I request the members to read the story and enjoy and send your valuable comments
  • Dear members,

I have uploaded the scaned copy of the Karthigai historical short story and it is available in our File section.
    Our great naveena vu.Ve Sa. Sundar krishnan converted the pre-edition version of the story in most readable format which is enclosed with this mail.

Members who have not yet gone through the story may please read the story and send your comments at the earliest.
  • Dear Dr. Kailasam-

I read with satisfaction your fictional short story based on historic events during Rajendra Chola.

Please accept my congratulations on an interesting plot and good cogent narration of the events.

a. You have very cleverly used in the plot administrative restrictions during important days of month such as full moon which was fully exploited to the legal advantage byheroine Karthigai in fighting for her hero ( relevance here is character Kannagi fighting for Kovlan) ! Another interesting reference is the release of water after midnight referred by Chief of Garden (தோட்ட வாரியம்). He seems to know the rules better than the Head of Sathurvedi Mangalam, Mayavan !

b. There essentially lies the weakness of character of Mayavan, adevioushead of the village/ town without scruples. He is referred in conversation as 'Maharaja' ; this is confusingly and contradicting especially when emperor Rajendra, being the epitome of justice so central to the theme of the story is the real 'Maharaja'.

c. There are a few side incidents I thought not relevant and did not go well with the main theme of the story; Mayavan's reference stating' சோழ மகாராஜா என் மேல் கோபமாக இருக்கிறார்' and his subsequent reprimand of the hapless ' மெய்க்காவலன்'; Karthigai's mother's resurrection from death and making that some how relevant to the family's faith on 'ambigai', relevance to Varadhan who helped Ananthan to join Veda pata salai etc.

d. You have well referred a few historical systems prevalent at Chola’s regime such as 'குடவோலை' ; apt description of the salutations to Chola emperor by the horse riding soldiers, historical reference of Kailasnathar temple constructed during Pallava's period.

e. Your description of the sun rise and mutual response of the living and other organisms and the introductory paragraph nicely describing the lake, setting sun, irrigating canals are all good, showing a good command over the language and interesting usage of words.

The narration brings out your eloquence as a story teller and intelligent observer of the historical references learnt from inscriptions and other sources.

I wish you every success as a historicfiction writer,
  • Dear,
    Thnak you very much for your excellent comment of the historical short story karthigai
  • Dear Sundar,

As you have pointed out, I slipped in calling mayavan as maharaja. It should be sinna maharaja.

Regarding faith on Ambigai, Karthigai's mother is Saivist and his father Sundararajan is Vaishnavist. Their family is residing near Kailasanathar temple. Though her husband is Vaishnavist, Karthigai's mother is having faith on Ambigai and the same is followed by Karthigai.

"«õÁ¡§Å «ó¾ì
    ¸¡Äò¾¢ø «ôÀ¡Å¢ý §Áø À¢¡¢ÂôÀðÎò ¾¡ý ¾¢ÕÁ½õ ¦ºöÐ ¦¸¡ñ¼¡÷¸Ç¡õ. ±ÉÐ ÁÉÐ «õÁ¡×ìÌ
    Ò¡¢Ôõ".. ±ýÚ ¸¡÷ò¾¢¨¸ ÜÚŨ¾ ¸ÅÉ¢Ôí¸û.

Hence Anathan called her ambigai. He tretated Karthigai equivalent to God.

I am very thankful to you, for making excellent minute observations. Thank you sir, I will avoid such mistakes in my future writings.
  • Dear members,
    can any body inform whether vana kula vandya devan and kudavai has children? If so what are their role in chola kingdom.
  • Dear Shri Kailasam,Congrats on a well written short story.
    Regards,PN.
    On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:06 PM, laxmanan kailasam
  • Dear,
    Thank you very much for your kind remarks.
  • Hi All,

Can somebody provide me the link to view this short story.
  • Dear Madam,
    I am enclosing Karthigai for your kind perusal and reading you may kindly send your remarks at the earliest
  • Dear,
    Thank you very much for your excellent comments
  • Dear Prasana,
    Thank you very much for your excellent remarks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters