St Ramanujar
  • dear Vijay,

Very very close.. By intution I knew it is Belur which holds the
    key.. and you too agree !!

In beluru Dasavathara panel, Buddha sarira !

sps
    ===========
  • Dear Sri Ramachandran,

Query 1 : Who was the Archarya in about 1030 - 40 in Kanchi.

Unless this is substantiated with sufficient proof - the points raised by you appear to be baseless.

Query 2 : St Ramanugar having born as a Buddist ...

In about 1030 - 40 AD - known Buddist connections with the Chola are ::

Overseas traders - particularly from East and Far East visited Chola Coast and RRC & RjC permitted construction of Buddha Vihars and gave grants too. Leyden grants deal with these... Likewise - overseas Kings / Emperors also might have permitted construction of Hindu temples in their lands.. Kind of cultural & religeous exchange progm - respecting each other's Faith.

Have not come across direct ref re St Ramanujar & Buddism.

Let us end this discussion at it.

Leave to majority of moderators to keep / delete related postings.

regards / sps
  • I never said he is a buddist.
    I shared a news that I read and asked the group if it was true.
    You should answer that alone.
  • Dear SPS Sir,
    You have asked to end the discussions about this but with querries.With due respect on your words,kindly permit me to answer the querries and stop.
    1. The Acharya at Kanchi:Sri Purna Bhodhendra Sankara Saraswati Swamigal was the Acharya inKanchi Mutt from 1014 - 1040.
    2. Sri Ramanujar was born at Sriperumbudur,in Kali 4118, Salivahana 940,(1017AD) Pingala Varusham, Sithirai month, Sukla Paksham, Panjami Tithi, Kadaga lagnam, Thursday noon, inHaritha Kothram, Thiruvadhirai Nakshatram. His father was SARVAKGNAR KESAVA SOMAIYAJI AND MOTHER KANTHIMATHI(sister of Thriumalai Nambi, disciple of Alavandhar). Tirumalai Nambi came from Tirupathy and named him as Lakshmanan, (which means Ilayazhvan, Ramanujan(anujan to Raman).
    Upto the age of 15 Ramanujar's father Kesava Somaiyaji was his Guru. After the death of his father Ramanujan went to studywith Yadhava Prakasar(not sankracharya at Kanchi) whose Gurukulam School was Tiruputkuzhi, near Kanchi. Yadhava Prakasa was a student in Kanchi Sankaracharya's Patasala and quit from it and wrote Vyasa Sutram and became famous at that time and started a Gurukulam at Tiruputkuzhi.
    (References: The Acharyas' History from Sri Sarada Peedam, Sankara Mutt Kanchi. In Kanchi Mutt they keep the list of Acharyas from 454 BC from the year it was started by Sri Sankara.
      2. Guru Parambarai Pravaham - 1880 Edition. - Both references can be checked with Kanchi Mutt and Sri Ramanuja Mutt or any Srivaishnava Mutts)
  • Dear Viswaksenan,

very nice reference.

Observations ::

1. St Sanakra Guru paramabara commences from 454 BC .. but there have been strong views that it could not have been prior to 7th Century - Gnanasambandar !

2. Yadhava Prakasa was a student in Kanchi Sankaracharya's Patasala and quit from it and wrote Vyasa Sutram and became famous at that time and started a Gurukulam at Tiruputkuzhi. (near Kanchi) !

absolutely right...

Thus other statements do not hold water.

Very conveniently we can end the discussion ...

thanks for the detailed informations dear Viswaksenan.

best regards / sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters