pungkuzhaliyaa nandiniyaa?
  • interesting topic

so gave it a name
  • > interesting topic
    >
    > so gave it a name

>Re: [ponniyinselvan] Re: (unknown)

Is a woman judged by how many men are enamoured by her alone?! Kundavai ponghiezhuvaal!
  • Mine too!! It is difficult to compare two people who are very different and yet have their own pluses and minuses. To me though the reasoning is like this - there are lots of Nandinis in historical fiction. Almost every historical novel starting with Ramayana has its share of villanous beautiful women - usually married to a key figure. Poonguzhali is a rare breed. Not that many people have written of a gypsy girl who can boat the stormy seas, talk to real and imaginary ghosts, drive away a leopard with a stone and finally transform into the wife of a ruler...So she gets my vote too..
  • I too agree with malathi....my vote is for poonguzhali...
  • pungkuzhali - kaaviyathin nijamaana viyakavaikum karpanai rasam kalantha arpudha padaipu.
    sangakaala veera pendirin ..satre garvam kalantha ..veru ulagathil sancharikum paathiram.

nandhini - kaaviyathin sithrakapatta pala excelling kunaadthisiyathin oviyam.
    veru ulagil anri, athe ulagathil ulla anaivaraium miga thiramaaiyaaga edai podum arputha padaipu

Both of them are so contradictory !!!! ! I hardly find similar traits in their nature !!!
    Pungkuzhali had a touch of innocence and dreamy nature ..
    Hardly recognizes the present state ..nor the people
    Kaatu raani !!!

Nandhini, in my view doesnt have the innocent touch.. She is very much upto the present state.
    Correctly studies the people's nature behavior..
    Naatu raani !!!

I contribute my vote for Pungkuzhali

-Gayathri
  • MCP point of view : Nandhini. Why would a girl character woo the readers? before I answer that, we need to understand that the opposite sex is usually more appreciative and being one, I vote for Ninad/M. She has the mystery and beauty. And that lures valibha ullangal.

Second, she has the pitiable past of fatherless-motherless character. So that creates more patchathabhams.

Third, her intention was to kill AK the crown prince. However heinous, this intensifies her character and it take the full attention of the readers - add to that the molten state that veeran AK takes when he is before Nandhini.
    To be killed by his own love, adds extreme dramatisation.

Fourth, the obscurity about Nandini - mystery around her birth adds strength and depth to the character, why sembian madevi played a spoiled sport when AK got attracted to her at young age, why she married an old man (pazhuvatteryar) when there many young studs who took sabatham that " kaalaal itta paniyai thalaiyaal seythu mudippen" - all this make her the heroine of the story.

PK on the other hand - has been portrayed as a pithukuli envious of vanathi and with her moods swinging from the north pole to south pole she is a stress-breaker in the story. There are so many instances that supports this - the instances of kollivai pisasu, making VT jump in to the sea thinking she is a nut case etc etc. But she does have her part of act well done too - likes of killing a cheetah, saving Arulmolzhi from the sea, trying to save vanathi from the floods etc. But she is not the stem of the story as far as the female lead character is concerned.
  • >
    > Both of them are so contradictory !!!! ! I hardly find similar traits in their nature !!!
    > Pungkuzhali had a touch of innocence and dreamy nature ..
    >
    > Nandhini, in my view doesnt have the innocent touch.. She is very much upto the present state.
    >

sarippa

what do nandini and pungkuzhali have in common
    other than being 'SUPER FIGURU"

i would like to point out they are actually 2nd cousins and could have many common traits

both had their eyes on the throne, though nandini betted on the wrong horses
    they had their own ways of ignoring or teasing the men who loved them

anything else?

venketes
  • Actually no one is discussing the women of Mass Destruction. Though one of the most shallow and most hated women characters of the book...
    Vanathi.. though she didnt directly cause any trouble... She is the mother of RJC the greatest conqueror in TN history...
    So by giving birth to RJC she can be termed as mother of mass destruction!!!
    Probably a mokkai argument ! but still thought I would post this!

Vairam
  • Any day nandhini by a huge margin....!

Poonguzhali - fickle minded!!!

Whereas Nadnhini very clear on her goal and wrked towards it without any
    hesitance!!!
    I wonder whether Poonguzhali has got the same foxy trait as of nandhini!!!
    I think Nandhini is a lot tougher than Poonguzhali mentally!!!!
  • hi venkatesh

"what do nandini and pungkuzhali have in common
    other than being 'SUPER FIGURU"

the first thing that comes to my mind is - both are kalki's creations
    -imaginary characters. ( need to find out the wive names of Uttama !!)

both grew up with very devote religious people - atleast as kids

both hated their aunts
  • > "what do nandini and pungkuzhali have in common
    > other than being 'SUPER FIGURU"

> both grew up with very devote religious people - atleast as kids
    >
    > both hated their aunts

lower middle class up bringing
    both wanted to break the ceilings their social stature conferred on them

my memory fails me

who was nandini's aunt?

the one point pungkuzhali expresses admiration for nandini is towards the end when nandini vanishes. that was one again kalki let his imaginatin gallop with out concern for the relevant situation.
    a normal royal hating pungkuzhali says she will be devoted to nandini( by then disgraced) for the rest of her life

venketesh
    >
    > cheers
    > vj
    >
    >
    >
    > http://www.poetryinstone.in
    > Here the language of stone surpasses the language of man
    >
  • both have a weapon concealed always?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters