Mannar kovil art defaced
  • http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/12/stories/2009071257351600.htm

I brought this to the notice of the reporter Mr.T.S.Subramaniam, but the Hindu magazine group does not allow a senior person like him to decide his own itinerary and he had to wait and club 3-4 events to visit the said temple. It was last July when the damages were not done, but now as the article has come, the damage is already done, inspite of me persuading with the E.O, the priest. to request them to hold on but was of no avail. Thirupulivanam, now Mannar Kovil, and more as quoted in the article? Any lawyers, legal experts reading this, or members who can take it up to Lawyers known to them to file a PIL / promote a heritage vandalization anti-act, to record severest punishment for those responsible, be it the E.O of the temple too?

Chandra
  • This is really painful. First thirupulivanam and now this temple.Atrocious on the part of the government officials.If they dont know how to preserve the age old murals, let them stop at that and not deface or mutilate them.Is it with the intention of destroying our heritage that our government brought the Chidambaram temple under the aegis of HR&CE? Pathetic to the core.
    Our group should talk to the concerned people and ask them to stop this atrocity immediately. Nothing can be done about the lost ones anymore. Let us try to stop the others from being lost :(.
    I will try and talk to one of the cabiner ministers(though i seriously doubt if others will listen to him).
    And with regards to PIL's, i dont think they will have any effect. Please let me know if i can contribute monetarily as i cant contribute physically sitting in saudi.
  • Dear Chandra,

let us face it.

We are not talking of a temple .. or Hindu temple for that matter.

We are talking of a CULTURAL ASSET of HERITAGE VALUE.

Our Secular system can permit this Label..

P-I-L can be one option..

Pls keep 2 - 3 samples :: thirupulivanam - Mannarkoil etc.

We will try to workout whether WE ARE ALONE or have Company.

regards / sps
  • On Sunday 12 Jul 2009 9:16:20 pm Sivapathasekaran wrote:
    > Dear Chandra,
    >
    > let us face it.
    >
    > We are not talking of a temple .. or Hindu temple for that matter.
    >
    > We are talking of a CULTURAL ASSET of HERITAGE VALUE.
    >
    > Our Secular system can permit this Label..
    >
    > P-I-L can be one option..
    >
    > Pls keep 2 - 3 samples :: thirupulivanam - Mannarkoil etc.
    >
    > We will try to workout whether WE ARE ALONE or have Company.
    >
    > regards / sps

What about Intach and other such organizations? Would they not be interested
    in protecting a piece of our culture?

I have seen this sort of thing happening all over - our current degraded
    "culture" considers it shameful if a temple's walls are not caked with
    emulsion paint, like the work of a makeup artist from the netherworld. I won't
    personally blame the EOs and trustees of the temples - even if they're willing
    to consider a proper restoration, the public won't let them do it. If they
    don't colour the entire temple bright pink and green and blue, the people will
    probably think that the officials have swallowed the money!

Talk about irony!

Regards,
    Shashwath

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters