complexion of the heroines
  • we live in a complexion concious society
    palaniappan vairam raised a question to me today in face book

'Pungkuzhali Fair or dark.....
    being in sea (saline water) she would be really tanned and dark...What does Kalki say about her color?

so what does kalki tell us about the complexion of the heroines.
    he generalises kadambur women to be dark. so manimekalai should be dark too

he says something about the moon and the sun being together when kunthavai and nandini come together

what does he say about pungkuzhali?

venketesh
  • Actually in the picture in Face book Punguzhali was really fair.
    The doubt came because even in Chola Lineage the people of Sundarar Chola are fair. Other I guess must have been dark (mother of Sunara Chola was fair hence the lineage was fair- faint memories of what i read in the book). So that leaves us out with question of complexion of heroines.

Kundhavai being royal and Sundara Chola family she must have been fair. Same can be said of Nandhini , she lived most of her life as royal(so basically when I mean royal they had facilities for make up and stuff).

Manimekalai I think Kalki has explicitly mentioned she was dark.

So this throws up question about Punguzhali. She was always in sea(salt water, sun ...tanning) and also a raw rural,tom bay kind of female(Except for her natural beauty ..it dosent seem she really took care of herself to look beautiful). So has Kalki anywhere detailed her complexion in the book?
  • There is very little chance anyone who lives an outdoor life close to the ocean with rustic lifestyle has fair complexion even if they are born with it. I don't think Kalki had anything different in mind he just might have missed saying so explicitly. There was (and in some ways is) a huge stigma in our country against dark colored people (more women but men too). The same stigma that converted Sri Krishna from dark to blue to make it palatable for elite pervades everywhere.
  • > Actually in the picture in Face book Punguzhali was really fair.

the picture was computer generated. we have nandini also.
    asterix pictures were the inspiration for it.

venketesh

> The doubt came because even in Chola Lineage the people of Sundarar Chola are fair. Other I guess must have been dark (mother of Sunara Chola was fair hence the lineage was fair- faint memories of what i read in the book). So that leaves us out with question of complexion of heroines.
    >
    > Kundhavai being royal and Sundara Chola family she must have been fair. Same can be said of Nandhini , she lived most of her life as royal(so basically when I mean royal they had facilities for make up and stuff).
    >
    > Manimekalai I think Kalki has explicitly mentioned she was dark.
    >
    > So this throws up question about Punguzhali. She was always in sea(salt water, sun ...tanning) and also a raw rural,tom bay kind of female(Except for her natural beauty ..it dosent seem she really took care of herself to look beautiful). So has Kalki anywhere detailed her complexion in the book?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Vairam
  • > Kundhavai being royal and Sundara Chola family she must have been fair.

Actually Kundhavai herself mentions to AVM that all the 3 of them;
    Kundhavai, AVM and AK have taken up their features and complexion from their
    mother's side.. This she says when they talk abt the probability of Nandhini
    being their half sister.
  • Hi Friends,

I came across a Kavithai about Punkuzhali and posted here
    http://svprsk.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post.html

Please checkout.
  • WOW!!!FANTASTIC!!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters