see the photo album named as "temples")

i also met manager of that temple. He told that many sculptures & coins
    of chola's were stolen by

theives. Now also theievs are taking the coins from the river( small
    river without water ).

Nobody in that village are taking care of that.. Plz take this issue as
    important one..
  • Dear Ravindran,

I just had a look at the Old Temple under re-construction in the Photo Album - under the title "Temples" as mentioned by you. It appears to be a big Temple.

What is the old name of this Temple. Are there many Inscriptions in this Temple. Have they been copied by Tamil Nadu Archaeologial Dept ? If so in which Volume of SII or any other journal the text of these Inscriptions do appear or has been discussed.

The Palayaarai Temples should be also studied closely as this was the
    early heraditary hometown of Cholas, and possibly will help us to unearth more information on the medieval period Cholas.

Awaiting your response.

Virarajendra
  • Hi virarajendra,

I think u seen all the photos in the album " Temples". I posted both Pazhayarai &

Darasuram temples in that album.

Both the temples are taken in control of Tamil Nadu Archaeologial Dept.

But Darasuram temple is in good condition as that of tanjore temple. But Pazhayarai temple is in bad condition. Now only re-construction work is going on.

Pazhayarai temple name is Somanatha Temple ( in kela-Pazhayarai).

Darasuram temple name is Airavatesvara Temple

• hi!

I went to keezhapazhayari on feb.15 2009. The renovation is happening in the temple. MR.Swaminathan a local person who is in charge along withe village people working on the thiruppani.He told me there is hardly any support from government. they have lost few icons too. I had a word with chndra from reach foundation about this temple.. he said he will look in to this... so, hoping for good....
  • Dear jayakumar,

Thank u  for ur reply.

And i want to know about that temple renovation work .How fast they r doing renovation

work. Any security person is provided to that temple to stop the theft.

• Hi!

I spoke to swaminathan twice after i visited pazhayarai. they looking for funds and no security have been put up as such.,.... i am planning to visit pazhayarai next month.i have requsted them to not to replace the floors or pillars with any modern materials. reach foundation is yest to give me a reply

Om jayakumar
  • Dear Jayakumar,

U did very good job (Regarding of pillars & floors)...

After going to pazhayarai, give me the information about the renovation of the old temple.

• When are you going, any specific date? I will accompany you
    by
    REACH FOUNDATION Chandra
  • Dear Chandra sekaran,

i am not going to Pazhayarai...i think jayakumar is going to pazhayarai..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters