Travelogue on the Cave Temple trip of Mahendravarman I
  • Dear all,

Here is the travelogue of the cave temple trip that took place on 21st March, 2009.

List of people: Chandru sir, Venkatesh Sir, Narayanaswamy Sir, Vijay, Sateesh, Ashok, SPS sir (till dindivanam) and myself.

I have tried my level best after reference to the texts and to my notes. Incase, there are any mistakes please let me know will correct them immediately.

Please click on the link below for the entire text with pictures

http://www.paintershub.com/?p=140

If anyone is interested in the same as .pdf file please send me your email id, will send it across.

Hoping you will enjoy the textual and photographical trip!!!

With Kind Regards,

Ragothaman
  • Wow!!!!!! Amazing cave temples & wonderful writeup & beautiful pictures!!

Hi,

I joined this group just 2 days back. I like "Ponniyin Selvan" the most but  I enjoyed "Sivagamiyin Sabatham" also very much. I really wanted to visit the places mentioned in those books. Your travelogue made me feel that I visited the places on my own.

Thank you so much.

• hi........
    i had joined in this group before few days.it's really nice to read everyone's views about ponniyin selvan.Kalki is a great legend.then i didn't have oppurtunity to read full novel...
    anyone have any views about kadalpura then share it........
  • WELCOME DEAR NEW MEMBER !!

AND GLAD TO SEE YOUR CONTRIBUTION TOO.. PLS DO MORE.

REGARDS / SPS - for all Moderators
  • Dear Ragothaman

Very nice travellogue. Travelloges should be written when the memory of the trip and its vibrations are still alive. This is such a travellogue.

* The Nataraja at Siyamangalam is the earliest in Tamilnadu. The prototype could have been derived from "Bhuyanga raaga naadam" or Bhujankatrachitam as referred to in Thevaram Hymns.

* Siyamangalam Pillar sculptures are also the earliest attempts to decorate pillars with sculptures. Later on it evolved as a complete stream of malasthana sculptures in chola period. Your photo is excellent.

* The structure you have referred to as kapotha is actually podhika arms of the pillar. This is Tharangam type. You are right - they have been inspired by earlier wooden models.
  • >
    > Very nice travellogue. Travelloges should be written when the memory of the trip and its vibrations are still alive. This is such a travellogue.

yes otherwise we forget the real emotions.
    2 instances yesterday.
    where we proudly climbed the rock cut steps, one at siyamangalam rock temple and the other the jain beds at dalavanur.
    coming down with the head held high was virtually impossible. the incline was too steep for that.
    we left all our pride to the winds and sat down and literally slided down step by step.

was fun.
    venketesh

>
    > * The Nataraja at Siyamangalam is the earliest in Tamilnadu. The prototype could have been derived from "Bhuyanga raaga naadam" or Bhujankatrachitam as referred to in Thevaram Hymns.
    >
    > * Siyamangalam Pillar sculptures are also the earliest attempts to decorate pillars with sculptures. Later on it evolved as a complete stream of malasthana sculptures in chola period. Your photo is excellent.
    >
    > * The structure you have referred to as kapotha is actually podhika arms of the pillar. This is Tharangam type. You are right - they have been inspired by earlier wooden models.
    >
    > Anbudan
    > Gokul.S
    >
  • > where we proudly climbed the rock cut steps, one at siyamangalam rock temple and the other the jain beds at dalavanur.
    > coming down with the head held high was virtually impossible. the incline was too steep for that.> we left all our pride to the winds and sat down and literally slided down step by step.

see 'the descent OF VIJAY' in photos in

'CAVE TEMPLES OF PALLAVAS' FOLDER

>
  • > Not me, Ashok took that photographs. Quite in awe with his photographic skills.

Very true. Photos are amazing !

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters