[Poetry In Stone|கல்லிலே கலைவண்ணம் கண்டோம்] Mannargudi Sri Rajagopalaswamy |மன்னார்குடி ஸ்ரீராஜகோபால
  • Gokul,

I think Mannargudiis much older. Probably KulothungaI period. If I am correct, itwas hewho built this as either Veera Narayana Chaturvedi Mangalam or Raja NarayanaChaturvedi Mangalam.

Please correct me if I am wrong. However both Achuthappa Nayakar and Ragunatha Nayakar, contributed a lot for its development. We can see the statues of both of them in front of Perumal Sannidhi.

And Vaduvur, as per my knowledge is by Sarfoji and not Ragunatha Nayaka. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Andsee the attached for Vaduvur.(Forthose, who see it in the web, Iam uploading it in the photos section)
  • SPS Sir / Raghavendra,

Thanks for the clarifications. Veera Narayana... I mistook it. But Idoknow that the lake by Parantaka Iwas called as Veera Narayana Yeri or Veeranam in the present day. But I was confused with thename of Mannargudi.

Ragavendra's message confirmed the correct name.

Regarding theinfo that Sarfoji constructed Vaduvur, please see the link :
    http://archives.chennaionline.com/toursntravel/placesofworship/rama.asp
    http://www.aaraamthinai.com/aanmeegam/2003/dec28aanmeegam.asp

Keeping the Sthalapuranam part and Hagiology aside, it says that Sarfoji (Or Some king in his lineage as indicated in Aaramthinai site), found the idols under ground and after a small tussle with the locals at Vaduvur, re-installed the idol there. While the Sthalapuranam version is always questionable, the first known historical person to have constructed the temple at Vaduvur is Sarfoji. This is why I said so.
  • Mannargudi Srividya Rajagopala Swamy's Garpagraham and temple have more than 7 inscriptions.
    1. Kulothunga I period - 2
    2. Thiribuvana Chakravarthi Rajaraja devar - 1 (..?)
    3. Thiribuvana Chakravarthi Rajendra Choladevar - 2
    4.Konerinmai Kondan _1
    5. Jadavarma Sundra Pandian period - 1
    6. Achudhappa Nayakkar - 1 - I have the copies of inscriptionstranscribed and if somebody can explain them I will be thankful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters