New member of this group : about myself
  • Vanakkam friends,

Thank you all for including me as a new member in this wonderful group! I wanted to tell you a little bit about myself and what Ponniyin selvan did for me. I grew up mainly in North and western India and therefore have never studied Tamil in school (although it is my native language). My parents, who are deeply interested in Tamil literature taught me to read and write it at home and tried to make me read Ambulimama and Tamil magazines. However, it was very hard and so I gave up. Years later, I came to study in Chennai - I had heard about Ponniyin Selvan from my parents. My curiosity was aroused and I sat with a Tamil-English dictionary and the book. The first chapter on the Veera Narayana Eri took me half an hour to read! By the end of the third chapter (where Azhwarkadiyan makes his appearance) I was under the spell of Kalki. By the end of the book, I had a glimpse of how rich my culture and language was, and I have to thank Kalki for bringing me back
    to my roots. My ancestral village is in Thanjavur district, and my visits after reading the book are so different. Last year, I went to see the Vinnagara Koil and the priest pointed me to what he said was a statue of Kundavai near the entrance.

About myself presently: I am a scientist and live in Canada. I am glad I can hear more on my favourite topic from people all over the world due to this Yahoo group.....

Best wishes for the new year,
    Suneeta
  • Sumeetha Madam,

that is very nice of you ..

in a capsule mail. Wonderful.. a Writer in you .. !

We have Doctors - Media persons - Writers - Computer / IT
    Professionals and rich variety of personalities from various walks
    of life..

Most welcome..

Pls go through first 300 mails in our Group.

And post queries .. share your experience..

with best regards / sridhar, venkat, gokul, krupa, ram & me -
    sps :: moderators
  • Hi Suneeta,
    welcome to the group.My mother was the person who put me on to PS.It is a captivating world for sure.Thank you for the new year wishes.God speed.
    with regards,
    shanthi.
  • > I gave up. Years later, I came to study in Chennai - I had heard
    > about Ponniyin Selvan from my parents. My curiosity was aroused and
    > sat with a Tamil-English dictionary and the book. The first chapter

Kudos to your effort. Most people lost interest when they do not have
    command over Tamil. They assume it is very difficult to read historic
    novels with its detailed descriptions etc

welcome to the group

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters