• dear PS lovers,
    A ? about cross belt [poonul] has been raised.I wish to say something about it.the real purpose behind wearing it is not to differentiate a particular caste.In olden times all castes used to wear poonool.only thing is the number of threads will differ.For Brahmins it is 5 threads and they have 5 duties...teaching,praying for the welfare of the society,looking after their parents,doing their duty to their children,and hospitality[virunthombal]....the kshatriyas...the kings should wear 4 threads one duty less , that of teaching.instead they have to protect the citizens.kshatriya bachelor should wear 3 threads [as u might have guessed , doing their duty to their children]..that's why we read in kandha sashti kavasam "muppiri nuulum muththani marbum..muthu anikinra maarbu]...and the vaisyas will wear 3 threads , their duty is to supply ,[or doing business] grocery and such other things to their country people.like that it goes.as you have the threads,as a reminder of your
    duty we will be duty conscious.
    CHO gives a beautiful explanation to this in his book ENGEY BRAMANAN "where is braminan?" .and he will define that no one becomes a bramin by birth but by the deeds.read that book to know more.
    ponniyinselvan
  • Dear Mrs. Kalavathy,

Thanks for such a wonderful description.. :) Did that mean, even ladies wore those poonools.. ? How many no. of threads would they wear?, is it the same no. as men too?
  • dear Rajarajan,
    should i be a brahmin to know all these things?i remember my granpa telling me that we belong to the chola dynasty and my mother would say "en makal rajarajan aranmanaiyil valarntha kunthavai pol" .she used to identify me with kunthavai.but the pity is that my granpa died when i was a school girl [and now i am 48] and i don't have any proof.so leave that matter.coming to the point,i used to read lots and lots of books.i know PS BY heart and i have read all the novels of Sandilyan and i have not left any author untouched.Cho's book describes poonool business in detail.anyhow thank you for the compliment
    karthik amma
  • Is this a custom ( i.e., wearing the sacred thread
    )practiced in Jainism and Buddhism today / ancient
    times ?
  • I think, yes. Jains wear, but not sure about buddhist.
  • On a lighter note, my nephew says his Poonool is a
    super thing to help relieve a nasty itch in his back:)
    Today is the Bangalore meeting:) 4 pm Barrista
    St.Marks Road
  • dear akka your explanation is very super.you deal every think is very bold. Hats of you akka

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters