Kerala : Abandoned Tamil Brothers
  • Formation of kerala:
    Shunning its identity as Tamil, Kerala as separate identity came into existance around 8 AD. This is all because of two reasons (my view):
    1. Cheras were abandoned my Pandiyas and Chozhas
    2. Influence of elements from north (brainwashed to shun their old identity)

Please share your view on this

P.S. I'm starting this thread to show we had lack of unity in the past as well us now.
  • Hi

I am rejecting this theory... cos of the fault in your point no. 2
  • Please explain.
  • HI,

You cannnot brainwash a society across large area.. Malayalam has similar words and letters(in scripts), but geographically also they are seperated, except for palgat pass and at cape kumari and have always been identified as a seperate ethnic group for well into ages.. I would probably disclaim the theory that they were integrated in tamilnadu, as there was no legitimate or accepted boundary for the tamilnadu region(till the language based division) and it has always been fragmented and there has been no integrations, something in the lines of integration of germany or even integration of India...

Also going by your theory, we should also claim telugu and kannada as seperated around the same time.. I guess this kind of thinking comes from our text book fed knowledge which has been proved to be faulty at many a times.
  • Hi
    there have been kerala kings who were well integrated into the tamil
    culture. ilang adigal was one such royal from the chera family. you
    can date his life with his magnum opus
    also one nayan mar and one alwar were from the royal family of the
    cheras.
    he chera kingdom was reportedly split into more than 20 parts by one
    cheraman peruman a contemprory of muhammed the prophet.
  • The earliest Malayalam literature (perhaps the first malayalam literature) dates 830 AD.
    Prehaps around 7th century AD, the Chera kings might have fed up with the isolation they have faced, on the hands of Chozha's and Pandya's. At that critical juncture, they were like 'a cat on the wall'. At that point, they might have got some political advise from outsiders (people outside chera kingdom) to form a separate identity. Maybe 'brainwash' is harsh word. But finally it boils down there.

There is one strong reason for this. Look at the 'Malayalam' language. Its a clear mix of both Tamil and Sanskrit. This mix is evident is all places of the malayalam language.

These clearly show an external influence over Chera Tamils which resulted in Malayalam and Kerala.

Looks like this discussion is going well. Would like everyone to pour your view.
  • Hi Jagathesh,

It may be a fact that Malayalam is a mix of Thamizh and Sanskrit (manipravaalam) with a lot of loan words from other languages including English, but one thing, in my opinion is, Malaylam contains a lot of pure Thamizh words for day-to-day use. For example, the word 'Padignaaru' means West in Malayalam, which is nothing but padiyum gnaayiru, a pure Thamizh term. Even 'paraithal' is a pure Thamizh word, which is not in vogue in our motherland now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters