Pics from Somnathpur/Rama premya swamy temple - channapatna
  • Hi All,

I guess my previous mail maybe got ignored because of the subject name. I had taken some pics at Chenna Keshava temple at Somnathpur(25kms from Srirangapatna), Hoysala style architecture(Star shaped temple with lathe work pillars, wall reliefs and murals and exotic roof cravings of banana flowers in various stages.)

Due to mail size limitations, I have not been able to send it to the group, let me know, if there is a location to which I can send the same, or even in zip format.

Somnathpur - is a ASI Heritage site built around 800 years ago.

I had also visited Rama premya swamy temple in channapatna with tamil wall inscriptions, reported Chola period, this temple is claimed to be 1600 years old and has been renovated often. Anyone has any other info on the history of this temple, do let me know. Ramanujar is said to have prayed in this temple.
  • Post as much as the photo section can hold,or create a photo
    album using your yahoo ID in yahoo.com and then post the link in
    the group.

Chandra
  • Mr Nanda

I wish to add few more points to Chennapatna Ramaaprameya swamy Temple.

It is highly revered place on the Kanva river situated north east of the Temple famous for the Navaneetha Krishnan. Erected by the Rajaraja Chola's North western Thanda Nayaka after his Thalakkadu campaign (Raraja Chola mandalam) in 10 th may of ca 1006 AD . Prior to this war , it was under the firm Control of Gangas of Thalak kadu, Even If u Go to Doddamalur soutwest of Chenna Patna, u will find many more Pallipadais of Chola Commanders who died during this campaign with beautiful 11th Century Tamil inscriptions decorating the outer walls. It was also a Brahmadesam under Imperial cholas.
    many more in the Next mails

GSK.
  • Dear SPS

The Details which i have given in my previous mails are mostely from The Book Titled 'Imperial Cholas in Karnataka' by Professor Kuppuram and Chola -Chalukya wars by American Institute of Oriental Research. Kindly go through it for further details on this Topic.

Let me Know about u .

GSK.
  • Dear SPS

The Details which i have given in my previous mails are mostely from The Book Titled 'Imperial Cholas in Karnataka' by Professor Kuppuram and Chola -Chalukya wars by American Institute of Oriental Research. Kindly go through it for further details on this Topic.

Let me Know about u .

GSK.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters