Annamalaiyar and Thalamboo
  • Dear Kathie

The myth around annamalaiyar is as follows

the five headed Brahma and Vishnu had a quarrell as to who was powerful and went to Shiva...Shiva said one of you find my feet and another find my head and whoever find that first is great...and he assumed his giant form viswaroopam

Brahma took the form of a swan and started flying up....Vishnu took the form of the boar and started digging deep. Vishnu could not find the feet and came back to shiva and acknowledged his failure and shivas greatness.

Manwhile Brahma was heading aup and came across a Thamlamboo a really fragrant flower and asked where it as descending from...it replying from Sivas head!...Brahma asked when did it leave and it replying a few yugas ago...Brahma was perturbed that Vishnu might find Shivas feet

hence he conspired with the flower and asked it to be his alibi to the fact that he had scaled shivas head.

Brahma claimed he reached the head and Thalambu sweared he did it. Shiva was furious that Brahma lied and got an accomplice and chopped a head off.(the skull in nataraja's hand a sign of pride)...he cursed Brahma that he would no longer be worshipped ....hence very few temples for brahma...as for Thalamboo he cursed it as an abode of serpents. Even today a type of snake called poonagam (cobra of the flower) resides in these extremely fragrant flowers.

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters