former royals and present privileges
  • friends,
    the arcot nawabs have been ruling thondaimandalam from 1650-1830, the tanjore marathas were in power from 1670-1760. but the nawab family is the only indian royal house to have the "prince" title even today. the tanjore marathi family continue to occupy major portion of the palace complex even though it was constructed by nayaks. should all these continue? while the rajahs of ramnad and pudukottai do not have such privileges, the nayak descendents are in obscurity.
    gandhi
    chidambaram
  • If you count the most famous Tanjore Maratha - Serfoji II, it should really
    extend to 1832, in the same way that we extend Mughal "rule" to 1857...

As to the others, are there still descendants of the Nayaks around?

I personally feel that it isn't particularly important - Serfoji, Tirumalai
    Nayak, Vijayaraghava Nayak, Ragunatha Tondaiman, Nawab Muhammad Ali Wallajah
    and Raja Raja Cholan are part of history. We are all inheritors of their
    legacy, though they may feel proud of being descendants of such
    illustrious fore-bearers. If we can find out who they are, it would be
    interesting from a genealogical point of view, but hardly earth-shattering.

If they enjoy any private property acquired by their ancestors, in the way
    that much of the Tanjore palace is treated, let them. That's just simple
    property laws. They may use the title "Prince", in the same way that we use
    honorifics like "Iyer" or "Mudaliyar" - as an identifier, but it has no
    meaning in law, beyond some privileges in trusts and the like. But we don't
    need to undertake any affirmative action on their behalf, in my opinion.

Shash
  • Respected Sir,

The Ramanthapuram and Sivaganga Royal families still have the palace with them and live there.

The Pudukkottai Palace is on lease with Govt and not taken over. Since Thondaiman moved to trichy he gave the palace on lease.
    Every one has a right over his aancestralproperty. In fact the Palace devasthanams of - Pudukkottai, Ramnad and Tanjore - are well maintained than the one under adheenams.

let us leave them as they are.

Contrary to the popular belief that all Hindu temples are under Government - Please note that there are many temples under Adheenams, Mutts,Palace and Private people.
  • Dear Mr.Gandhi,

You are not clear about what you propse.

When privy purse and other privileges dimwitted or abolished, Central government shooul have said yes or no ,to continuing the titles, case by case or in genera. This is an area of legal expertise.

I remember rightly, it was conferred on govt conferred it on specific members in a generation, applying rule of law.

But I feel by the ancient rule heridity any male descendant, by paternal line would get the title.

But we talked of democracy and made paupers of princely heirs.Now those who entered politics and are making wealth that could last for generations.

What a pity !

VKR

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters