ATROCITIES or REPULSION ?
  • " ... There is nothing wrong in discussing but utmost care must be taken to respect the sentiments and with clear proof... "

Let us take one temple for example - Chidambaram - which is known as Koil.

One of our respected members has brought out that it was a Jain Temple earlier ..

No documentary evidence to trace the Temple prior to Kochennaganan as per Tamil versions .. SANGAM PERIOD or Hiranya Varman (as per other sources 4TH CE )..

Now prior to that if we go .. Swetharanyam figures ..

Which is WHITE FOREST ... !

All mythological details ..

Swetha Maharaja - Swetha Kethu .. Swetha pushkarani etc., etc... from Literary Evidences ..

Invariably such details are traced to PURANAM -- say BRAHMANDA PURANAM - say one among the 18 !!

Now to verify the authenticity of PURANAMs ..

WHO WROTE ?
    WHEN WAS RECOPIED ?
    WHETHER COPIED VERSION WAS AS THE ORIGINAL VERSION ?
    WHO COPIED AND WHO VERIFIED ?

Source of last known Palm leave Copy .. etc., etc.. Carbon 14 test - Fixing the Era period etc.

IRVING WALLACE clearly demonstrated in his Fiction " The Book " that even a piece of Palm sheet from the Dead Sea Scroll - related to Biblical details (which was to be published as 2nd Testament) - which was proved ancient by C14 method - was later found to be HOAX because the Script written in Aramic language was done much contemporary !!

The Guruparambara details by Pillailogam Jeer involving KIRUMIKANDA Cholan - which figured in Dasavatharam Film (Sungamthavirtha Cholanai Garvam thavikkachol !! roared Kamal - indicating Kulothunga I ) - is absolutely false because (refer several discussions on the subject) (i) His Kuladeyvam was ENNAYIRAM NARASIMHA PERUMAL (ii) His isncriptions re grants ended :: IDH DHARMAM RAKSHIPPAR SRIVAISHNAVA PAADHAM EN THALAI MAELE !

Will keep the most refered Holy Feet of the Srivaishnavites UPON MY HEAD ( SAYS A MONARCH - KULOTHINGA I ) when the continue to maintain the Grants given to this (Srirangam ) temple !!

Movie makers conveniently IGNORED " Thillai Moovayiravar Thozhudhu Ethuthum Thiruchitrakoodam .. ! - as HYMNED IN THE PASURAMS BY AZHWARS !! Azhwars ( 7 - 8 CE) CONFIRMED that the Diskhidhars worshipped with reverence the Thiruchitrakoodam !! "

On the contrary - Thuppakki Krishnappa SHOT DOWN several Dikshidars in Chidambaram as per an European eyewitness account in 15th CE.

The Guru Parambara of Sankar Mutts also will not stand such scrutiny since - as discussed earlier - Acharya Aadi Sankara period is placed around 760 CE or so whereas these Paramparas traced prior to Jesus Christ !!

" .. Chola destruction of Jain / Buddhist temples: Yes, the same Cholas who gave permission to build the Chudamani Vihara at Nagai, and the same Cholas who's most famous lady (Kundavi, obviously) caused the construction of at least two Jain temples in her name... Somehow this doesn't add up? .. ""

(Same Kundhavai origin ) PAZHARAYAI VADATHALI (Northern Temple) - ANCIENT SIVA TEMPLE - was found to be PREVENTED FROM VISIBILITY AND WORSHIP - and Appar was pained to note this !

Recall Appar got converted from Jainism and embraced Saivism and the kind of TREATMENT he underwent (Tied to Stones and put under sea, Was fried in Lime-Kiln etc., - though WE Do See JAIN GURUs who avoid Walking in nights fearing causing harm to insects !!).

Then the Temple was cleared for worship !!

So the FAITH of Individuals - Faith of the Rulers - Authenticity of Records related to them - and CONTEMPORARY REPORTs - without taking into consideration of such factors - can not be looked in the BROADER PERSPECTIVE.

That is why Sankaranarayanan might have added " utmost care must be taken to respect the sentiments and with clear proof... "

sps

===========

===========

> > I came across this interesting discussion:

> > http://satyameva-jayate.org/2010/10/02/temples-destroyed/
    > >

There is nothing wrong in discussing but utmost care must be taken to respect the sentiments and with clear proof. It should not be like the historians who when scrutansied by law, answered like - i read in news paper, my maid servant told so etc etc.

1. Kulothunga 1 and vaishnavism. Not only srirangam and ennayiram discussed in our archieves - Tirumala, All vishnu temples of Kanchi, mannargudi, Thiruvattaru and many more speak about his contribution

The ulgaladha perumal temple inscription is published in details by TN govt. I have the book. will scan and post - may be this week end or next week end. very long and is like a drama. If any one had any doubts on him - these 2 inscriptions will answer them.

In war or when extremist hide in a holy place - somethings are inevitable. Independent India which is more secular than the secualrism itself , faced the crisis twice.
  • Swetharanya

I quoted the Ramayanam verse - where Valmiki mentions the killing of Antaga by Lord Siva

sa papaata kharo bhuumau dahyamaanaH shara agninaa |
    rudreNa eva vinir.hdagdhaH shveta araNye yathaa andhakaH || 3-30-27

While writing on Ramayanam - i mistook it as Anthagasura and was wondering - why the Thirukkovilur inncident is referred here.

But it stuck me today - while doing my sandyavandan, While praying to Yama - We pray Yamaya Dharmarajaya ...... Andhgayacha -

Yama is referred as Andaga - as he dosenot see any one - young -old, rich -poor ...

Hence Valmiki refers to slaying of Yama in swetaranya - Thirukkadavur is part of swetaranya.

I correct myself - and will make amendments in the final version.

Puranams do have certain basis - but cant be relayed 100%. In my Ramayanam series, i have not considered any purana versions at all.

• On a similar note, I read parts of this interesting book that claims Tirupathi Balaji temple was a Buddhist shrine: http://www.ambedkar.org/Tirupati/

Often in debates, the opposition of a view point will present the original point in a nice manner. I think it is a tradition based on several Indic discussions our philosophers practiced. For example, if a Adavatin would say criticize Samkya or Buddhic darsna; he or she presents the Samkya or Buddhic point first and then presents counter points.

So is this chapter on the Shilpa Sastras: http://www.ambedkar.org/Tirupati/ ; it offers lot of information on Hindu Shilpa Sastras. In fact the book offers lots of tidbits about Hindu temples. Of course it is upto the reader to ensure what is being presented is valid and a correct understanding.

Nothing is veda-vakku :-)

with regards,
    GRS

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters