19th heritage trip - another choice.
  • Dear All,
    We have member Subashini from Germany who wanted to go for a heritage trip but it was bad luck it coincided with what Vijay from Singapore has planned on the same day. The problem is Subashini is available only by 9:30 Am and Vijay wants to move as early as 6.30 AM.

So we have worked out an alternative heritage plan under the aegis of REACH's heritage tour we conduct regularly and here is the plan:

=====================================================================
    Stone age to modern history, we'll have a diverse experience in One day, from 10 Am to 5 pm., food arranged at the reserve forest itself.

10:00 All please assemble at the hillock base of Kundrathur Murugan temple after having your breakfast :)
    11:00 Nallur Nayaka period Yatri Mandapa, Somangalam - Navagraha sthala - Moon temple,
    12:30 Navalur- open jeshta 8th/ 9th century statues
    13:00 Leaf fossil site - Gundu Perumbudur - near Malayapattu village, where Adyar river origin starts
    13:30 Lunch at MagaNi village - Pallava Structure - Statue, Nayaka period sculptures, Dolmen Cyst, cave circles, iron melting kiln,

magani -means burial site of Rajas (Prehistoric), then Rajnikanth's Baba Ashram, 16 feet Anjaneya, Sapthamatrika near MagaNi village near Malayapattu village, reserve forest with a big water body, trekking possible, meet tribals Iruzar and Ottar in the forest
    If time permits 17: 00 ASI maintained Manimangalam Dharmeswara temple (8th centruy) Pallava type, Manimangalam is the famous Chalukya - Pallavar War site.
    We will share the van / food expenses.

Orissa Balu will call upon Subashini, coming from Germany and both will come to Kundrathur spot by 10 Am, where our trip starts. Others who wish to join tell me which is convenient pick up point (is Guindy Le Meridian hotel entrance OK?), so that I can drive the van to that point say, by 9 AM and then proceed to Kundrathur?

Those who wish to join can reply back with their phone numbers and email ID to [email protected]
  • hi chandra

just a slight correction - its not vijay wants to move and we will start by
    7.30. we would like to cover maximum possible places in a day and hence the
    early start. fyi, i too land at midnight of 18th. idea is to hit the road
    early, and leave the city before the traffic starts.

Good luck
  • fine. Let's exchange our experiences we had in both the trips for the benefit of those who follow later, about both the trips, Vijay.

Chandra
  • Dear Members,
    I agree with Vijay that if we start early then we have good enough time to cover things. However if there are members who could only be available late morning, I hope that the trip can be planned accordingly to accommodate those, such that they meet the group at some place in between. I am arriving early morning on 19th and quite ok with 7.30 AM start. I think SPS sir and Chandra sir can talk on this and reach to consensus. My first preference would be to meet all the members, secondly as I am coming to Chennai after a long time so would also like to visit some places in company of members ofcourse.
    Also can we get some itinerary of this trip so that I know what to expect.
  • Dear Saurabh ,

I think we should leave it to individual preference / choice.

For those focussing in History - the temples planned by Vijay will suit.

For those focussing in religeous aspects - the temples planned by Chandra will suit.

Re meeting various members, 19th evening - we can plan a beach-meet !!

Request Vijay / Chandra to suggest.

Re 20th meeting - it will be more with outstation culture / heritage enthusiasts ..

rgds / sps
  • The blog and photos of the heritage trip we went along with Subashini Tremmel of THF, Nanda, Natarajan and Ramnath Mani of PSVP group is here to see:

http://reachhistory.blogspot.com/2010/06/modern-history-to-cave-man-site-trip.html
  • Thanks sir

what is written in the valeeswaram inscription?

is there any mention of the lords name as valeeswara

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters