South Indian temple styles
  • Dear SPS,
    no, I don't have many photos of U or P, other than the REACH photos of
    U.
    And when at Thirukogarnam, 1/07, I was still upset because the museum
    was closed that day, and somehow missed seeing the saptamatrka there.
    Didn't realize what an ancient and wonderful temple it was.
    kathie
  • returning from a fast visit to karaikudi - kindrakusi, pillayarpatti, solaiandavar and thitumayam temple visits.

Pillayarpatti saptamatrika have veerabhadra on one end. ( first time observing) thanks gokul

but these idols must be later - second pandyas as the siva temple part is much later.

• returning from a fast visit to karaikudi - kindrakusi, pillayarpatti, solaiandavar and thitumayam temple visits.

Pillayarpatti saptamatrika have veerabhadra on one end. ( first time observing) thanks gokul

but these idols must be later - second pandyas as the siva temple part is much later.
  • BASICALLY PILLAYARPATTI WAS A SHIVA TEMPLE !!

After visiting PPatti - visited Thirukkogarnam again.

In the Second Linga (there are two) inside the Sanctum Wall facing North - there is a Pillayar resembling Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar !!

Means - Lingam is visible for direct worship. Pillayar is not.

Likewise in Pillayarpatti, Pillayaar is visible for worship.

In side the Sanctum - facing south - encased a Sivalingam.

Dr. Kalaikkovan has written these details in varalaaru.

No one is permitted to enter this sanctum - except during cleaning (Uzhavarappani) once in 2 yrs or so.

enlisted for that... but should be fortunate to be called in.

rgds/ sps
  • Siva predates Pillayar in Pillayarpatti

The cave has only one entrance .

The inscription mentions both - Thiruveesar and thesi vinayagar. Pillayar is as old as the inscription atleast.

How the dating of siva is arrived- as many have written so.
  • Dear Sankaranarayanan,

You have done very nice serial on Ramayana - before Kamban.

Can we have a summary .. with references.

Now discussion on Sapthamatrika - Annaiyar Ezhuvar.

Points need to be summerised.

with photos added this will serve as a very good reference book.

Village deities.

Points need to be summerised.

with photos added this will also serve as a very good reference book.

Can we consider publishing them as a team ?

Or atleast as BLOG REFERENCES..

Dear Friends,

pls advise.

rgds / sps

===============
  • Dear Sir,

Defenetly.We can publish as PSVP book with more details from members after summation.

1. Village deities - have to complete a few more. Waiting for references and can be closed by end June

2. saptamatrikas - will compile all concepts - both kanya and Matrika.

3. Ramayanam before kamban - 3 more temples are ready. More and more info are pouring.I will be sending a mail tonight requesting members for some help with reference to epigraphs and pictures.
  • Dear Sir,

A small question as you are talking about Pillyarpatti. I have heard from people saying that Pillayar idol is growing in size and they did some pujas to make it stop growing. Similarly in many temples I have heard the same things for Pillayar idols. Is it really true? Can a Pillayar idol grow in size?

Thanks & Rgds.,

Shiv
  • No sir.

It did not grow.

rgds / sps
  • as far as i know, ( since i belong to that place) this is not true. but this legend is associated with namakkal anjaneyar

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters