field trip of second batch- Nurse
  • Pariyaram panni marundidum pengal

- Nurse!!!

As it is said that there is only one inscription on hospital available -

This may be the only source on nurses!.

Request members to give info - if any such details on this.
  • Dear Sankaranarayanan,

I remember to have read inscriptions - re HOSPITAL and SURGEORY as well ..

Will locate and post shortly.

sps

=========
  • Which is very interesting topic though.

I understand the internal medicine that was done at that time and minor external possibilities for cuts and braces.

Was there any surgery that was even performed ? If yes, how and which situation was that done. Sushrutha is said to have practiced plastic surgery but the definition of which is sort of broad compared to what is done today. Also risk of infections and how it was handled.

Trepanation was practiced world over to some extent too however that cannot be termed as 'surgery' in today's standards.

Would be curious to see what is the chola / south indian medical practices outside of internal medicine.

- R
  • Another important part of surgery would be amputation - as I recall,
    surgeons in medieval and early-modern England were referred to as
    "Sawbones".

Proper amputation and rehabilitation (if done) would have been quite an
    important part of medicine during those days...

Shash
  • Dear All

Interesting discussions

Sushrutha is said to be the father of surgery ...plastic surgery even as cutting off the nose was a common punishment...aka soorpanagai....he used to apply jaggery or honey to the cut sides fix them together and get black ants to bite them...once the ants bite both sides twist the neck and leave the head attached....ancient stapler!! he is supposed to have done lithotomies as well removal of stones and amputations.

Ancient egyptians were experts in sucking the brain through the nostrils prior to mummyfing..

In UK...the doctors were the educated elite who did not perform amputations blood letting abscess drainage as they were dirty! below their level. They used the services of barbers to do that over a period of time they became barber surgeons. and formed the royal college of barber surgeons which then progressed to royal college of surgeons...since they were not educated or elite they were called Mr ......so and so and not doctors....That tradition stays to date in UK....as a payback for the insult on early surgeons....You study to become a doctor...you then train to become a surgeon and are called Mr.....Some of the surgeons in Uk do take offence if addressed as Dr......So I studied 5 years to become Dr Sridhar Rathinam and another 5 years training to become Mr Sridhar Rathinam .....so todate I am Mr Rathinam and nor Dr Rathinam in UK...

This tradition is only in UK

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

To: [email protected]
  • Quite interesting. Even here, I believe, anything to do with cutting
    (surgery), piercing (ear, nose), pedicure etc. was done by the barbers s
    they possessed the strength, skill and nimble fingers.Sampath

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters