History of Marraige - Theevalam and Thali,
  • Dear Friends

The main function is taking seven steps before the fire together by the bride and groom who hold their hands together( in somestates going round the fire with the bride and grooms dress tied together)

The Theevalam is more of an Oath taking ceremony and beautifully explains the concept of marriage.

At the beginning of each step, he recites a Veda mantra to invoke the blessings of Maha Vishnu. Through these seven mantras, he asks Maha Vishnu to follow in the footsteps of his wife and bless her with food, strength, piety, progeny, wealth, comfort and health.

At the conclusion of the seven steps, he addresses his wife with a moving statement from the Veds summarized below: Dear Wife! By taking these seven steps, you have become my dearest friend. I pledge my unfailing loyalty to you. Let us stay together for the rest of our lives. Let us not separate from each other ever. Let us be of one mind in carrying out our responsibilities as householders (grihasthas). Let us love and cherish each other and enjoy nourishing food and good health. Let us discharge our prescribed Vedic duties to our elders, ancestors, rishis, creatures, and gods. Let our aspirations be united.

This is the main ceremony of the marriage.

Intrestingly Tamil kadavul Kannagi had a simillar wedding.

நீல விதானத்து நித்திலப்பூம் பந்தர்க்கீழ்
    வான்ஊர் மதியம் சகடுஅணைய வானத்துச் 50
    சாலி ஒருமீன் தகையாளைக் கோவலன்
    மாமுது பார்ப்பான் மறைவழி காட்டிடத்
    தீவலம் செய்வது காண்பார்க்கண்

As for as the little i know on THALI, it didnot even appear in Andal's varanam Ayirum.(6th, 7th AD)

vaai nallaar nalla marai odhi mandhirathaal pachilai naaNal paduthu paridhiveithu kaaichinamaakaLiranran en kai patri theevalam seiya kana kanden thozhi naan

Then ammi midithal, Pori Idal etc.

Only in sdoundaryalahari it appears.

The line தாலி களைந்தன்றும் இலனே in Purananuru- meaning is required.

Looks Thali is a later addition but perusunga karanam illama senjirukkadu
  • >> perusunga karanam illama senjirukkadu
    Yaarukku karanam irukkanumo avanga senjirukkalam :)

> At the conclusion of the seven steps
    Keeping Vishnu aside, this looks very western to me... a process / binding contract and nothing more.

Kannagi story is intriguing, again the bond between them is pure love, I am not really sure about the thaali mangalyam etc.

Kovalan is hated in today's society for tormenting Kannagi, but Kannagi nor Madhavi hated him for this regard. His love for both women remained same though Madhavi is one who gets really affected (as we all have seen Kannagi enough).

If Kovalan had lived any longer, I am sure he would have gotten back to Madhavi at some point in time, alas Ilanko adigal, had a shorter life span for him :-)

To me, the organized marriage in indian history and dominance aspect comes from these societies of Jain / Buddhism (Kalabharras) - even Aadi sankara is post that period, i believe.

- R
  • The organised marriage was recorded in the Puranas also.

Even Vedas tell about this. ( Lobamutra - Agasthya). Maitreyi represent the true meaning of marriage in the Indian sustem where she was both mentally and spritually competent with her husband Yagnyavalkya.

Marriage as a sytem was there for long time.

Please dont westernise the Seven steps. Was there any culture in west beyond Rome till 4th. The Roman system of marriage is well known.
  • >> Maitreyi represent the true meaning of marriage in the Indian sustem where she was both mentally and spritually competent with her husband Yagnyavalkya.

As I read it, this is not a physical sync, all along there is no way to enforce love. The Mr & Mrs Sage in subject were truly a 'couple' by mind and spirit.

Marriage in later days looks more like a way where the powerful men forcibly enforced their authority & 'contract' over women they loved in a 1-way road and ceremonies scared the shit out of people :-) from breaking.

I would possibly think that this happened from the buddha / jain period, particularly flowing in from the west where there was much war / trade happening between cultures.

I would say define, Radha was married to Chandrasena (I believe thats the name), whereas, Radha was 'Truly Married' to Krsna. First part was the contract, 2nd part was actual.

- R
  • thaali is being created by ladies only sir...

purushan sariyillainnaa appadiye kazhuthai irukkinu poidalaam...or appadiye kazhatti purushan kazhathula maati irukkidalaam...

eppadiyo .. all is for lady's advantage only....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters