Note: The length of the name is comparable with the names of some
    International Airports and other Airports of India. eg:

(1) Thirutchirappalli International Airport

(2) Visakapattnam Airport

(3) Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport

(4) Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport

(5) Sardar Vallabbhai Patel International Airport

(6) Charan Singh Internatinal Airport

(7) Nethaji Subas Chandra Bose International Airport etc etc.
  • A very good article on the need for recgonizing the greatness of "Rajaraja Chola". While describing the stone marvel at Gangaikonda Cholapuram, it has been wrongly mentioned as"Shiva garlending Rajendra Chola". This stone carving depicts Shiva garlending Chandeswara Nayanar after giving "Eswara" tiltle to him according to Dr Bhaskara Thondaiman in his travelogue "Venkatam Mudal Kumar Varai"
  • Dear
    Similar to madurai airport could be called pandiyan airport and coimbatore airport to be called as cheran airport, so as we could remember our great rulers
  • Date:24-5-2003

Dear Gowrisankar Swaminathan,

Untill recently I too held the same view, which I gathered from the Writings of other Scholars that "this stone carving depicts "God Siva garlending Chandeswara Naayanar". But only recently I myself ventured in to the study of the Portrait Culture of Chola kings.

I personally studied two sculptures which was referred to by the Karnataka Archaeological Department as that of Kulothunga Chola - 1 at the Sakthi Muktheswarer at Bommanahalli in the Nelamangala Taluk, the other of Rajendra Chola - 1 at Kolar Siva Temple in the Kolar Taluk built by Rajendra Chola - 1, the third also said to be that of Rajendra Chola - 1 at the Nandhikeswarer temple at Nandhi hills near Bangalore. I have seen the Portrait images of these kings and doubt that these are the images of Kulotunga Chola & Rajendra Chola. There are no inscribed letters under these images to state that these are the Portraits of these kings. Further the Tamil Chola Inscriptions attached to these temples too doesnot indicate that these are the Portrait Images of the above kings under reference. These Images doesnot give any clue that the Portraits belongs to any Royal personalities, but that of some pious Chola Chieftains ruling the regions under Rajendra Chola - 1 or Kulothunga Chola - 1. The two Images which are said to be that of Rajendra Chola - 1 are in the meditation pose with shaven head without any Royal regalia on them. Hence I doubt the inferences made by Karnataka Archaeological Department.

But I reviewed these images with that of the so-called image of Chandikeswarer at Gangaikonda Cholapuram temple which is seen with some Royal Jewels and Head dress which have pushed me to infer that this could be that of the Rajendra Chola - 1, and he being an ardent devotee of God Siva like his father Rajaraja Chola - 1 could in all possibility have expressed his great devotion on stone by a sculpture depicting God Siva dressing a Garland on his Hair Knots. Hence Dr Bhaskara Thondaiman's inference "has to be reviewed and if required revised" with these findings. Further there is another Portrait Sculpture of Rajendra Chola - 1 said to be found in the Kalahasti temple in Andhra Pradesh which was also said to be buit by Rajendra Chola - 1 and which I have to vist and study this Portrait Sculpture. I am pursueing with my further study & research into same.

Virarajendra
  • Here's the panel in question: http://poetryinstone.in/lang/en/2008/10/28/a-masterpiece-of-sculptural-beauty-from-gangai-konda-cholapuram.html

The side-sculptures depict the story of Chandesa - the cows, the milking, the abishekams and the cutting off of legs. I don't think there's any doubt that it's intended to be Chandesa Anugraha Murthi.

I don't know on what basis it's supposed to be Rajendra, honestly. It's definitely not Shiva garlanding Rajendra Chola as Rajendra Chola. It's Shiva garlanding Chandesa, for which Rajendra may have been the model. Similarly, the rest of the cases claimed to be royal portraiture may just happen to be the royal in question modelling for that sculpture.

Shash
  • Dear Sir,
    Your good intentions behind renaming the chennai airport as Rajarajan Cholan International airport, it will not be accepted as there are political affliations behind it.Better if you can ask the Tirichirapalli airport to be renamed, it will fall within the uraiyur area of cholas....
    Regards,S.Karthik,Vandemataram
  • Dear Sir,

Would eagerly await your detailed study of portrait sculptures and bronzes.
    Regarding a few already reported have listed below

http://poetryinstone.in/lang/en/2010/08/26/portrait-bronzes-of-chola-kings-a-study-from-past-references.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters