Few notes on Adi Shankara [1 Attachment]
  • Dear VKR,

Not sure what you are really up to...
    //

*Temples ,pujas to umpteengods and goddesses with innovated sthala puranas
    and donations became ostentation of Bakthy by the rich of the feudal
    society, particularly since Pallava period, when Brahmins were brought in to
    Tamilnadu, which only promoted Vaidics and not Spirtuality.*

//

You people say brahmins were brought into Tamil Nadu during pallava
    period...

Tholkappiam which is considered to the first tamil literature mentions about
    'marai odhum vediar', many sangam poetry refers vedam, vediyar and the
    rituals and homas and yagas umpteen number of times.

So do you mean to say that sangam poetry are post pallava? I think pallavas
    are from 5th to 7th century....so you date sangam poetries to 8th century AD
    or later?
  • Dear Sir

Before replying to your questions let me ask you some questions.

1. You say Pallavas brought Brahmins to Tamilnadu? You mean to say that there were no Brahmins and Vedic rituals in Tamilnadu before Pallavas?. Please justify your statement.

2. You say Sambandar propagated Saiva Siddantam. What do you mean by Saiva Siddantham? What way it is different from Advaita or Dvaita? Will mere worship of Siva makes one a Saiva Siddanti? Have you read Sambandar fully? Do you have any padigams that says that he is not propagating Vaidega Samayam? Please give references and justification.

3. You say referring big names is a hollow satatement? Which version of  Sankara Vijayam you are referring? Please explain.

4. Bhakthi, Purana and temple worship - Do you mean to say people who spread that - Alwars,
    Nayanmars, Meera Bhai, Ramdas, Kabirdas, Surdas etc etc all did that for money? Qualify your statement.

5. Temples were for money? What was their status till British came? How they functioned? What were their role in the society? Please give details.

Once you answer these questions comprehencively- I will give my reply.
  • Temples have a very complex social, religious and economic character. Temples are complex organizations to say the least. The worship in temples are considered "parartha" - for the sake of others, i.e. the society/community. The worship of deities in a house is categorized as "svartha" - for the sake of self and family.

The temple is a public property and the worship and duties conducted by the priest is for the welfare of the community in which the temple resides and for the mankind.

Festivals and processions carried out are entirely for the community to participate in the activities and ceremonies of the temple. Else why even have them? Such processions are not stipulated for the deities in our house.

Apart from providing jobs to the priests, temples provide jobs to artisans, temple cleaners, guards, artisans and several kinds of artists.

GRS

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters