Rock fort - Trichy
  • Sir,
    The Thaymanavar sannadhi is called as "ROCK FORT" - "Malai kottai"  temple.  (Golden Rock - is Pon Malai -  with a beutiful Anjaneya temple & Railway workshop.)
    The Pallava cave refd. to is the place where we use to play -"hide and seek" game
    in our childhood.  I was born and living in the same street, the back yard of the school
    I studied elementary classes -  is the pallava cave with beutiful statues. We were told
    that there is a secret pathway between this and a similar cave with statues at the top
    enroute to "Uchi Pillayar kovil".  The sound of the temple bell is famous - which can be
    heared for a few miles radius of the temple - use to ring once every hour in those days.
    In the rockfort temple you can see a lot of paintings on the "prakarams"
    which are many centuries old.  Four chains hanging from the upper (top) wall
    were carved out of stones should not be missed. 
    One must see the "Naganathar" (Siva) temple - situated near "Theppa kulam" which
    is considered to be the oldest temple formed at the bottom of the Rock Fort temple.
    You will feel the divine silence in front of the main Shivalingam in that temple.
    The name Rock Fort - came because of "Robert Clive" used that area as his fort and the
    main entrance situated near the temple tank is still called as "MAIN GAURD GATE" -
    with huge wodden gates of atleast 50 feet tall. The inner circle of the wall in front of the
    temple tank is converted as the famous "Clive's Hostel" for St.Joseph college which
    has been reffered by many tamil writers including Sujatha - a lot of times. 
    Thank you sps sir, you have taken me to my boyhood memories.

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/
  • I read that in the Sugandagundalamba sannidhi in thayumanavar temple,Soundaryalahari inscriptions are present. These inscriptions, i was told that are very old.

Is it true. any info on that? Since i find that all the stotra slabs in temples are new. max 50-60 year old. But this news claims that it is of 8th/9th century. Is it true?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters