Days mail
  • Dear Venkat
    The answer to your question as a minority in foreign nation can be bad! But as professional you move in an educated circle but there are indercurrents there all the time. Vellaikaran atleast on surface will attempt to be equal!

I don't think anywhere else you will have taxpayers money given to built a large temple complex for a ethnic minority. Balaji Temple in Birmingham has been funded partly by the millenium project The land I understand was agoin leased from the local council...having said that they are encouraging religoius harmony in their small way in reciprocation...there are 7 small figuritive hills...one dedicted to each major religion..buddism..christianity..Islam...etc and the biggest for Balaji..

Malathi
    Though I agree with your point regarding minority feeling.
    I take exception to two points..the Dalits and backwords may not feel the difference I think is politically uncorrect..Infact they I think will feel better here than home atleast you respected for what you are professionally!there was nice chapter in Inspite of the gods by Edward Luce..where he interviews a Principal of a big instituition in a city ..well respected by all..however cannot walk with slippers in his home village...(before any one starts its Western media propaganda...This man is married to an Indian and lives in India and it is actually a very good book on India)

Shankar
    I am really sorry I have to agree with Venkat..Please do not believe all you read or hear...Bobby Jindal converted when he was in Highschool may be he had ambitions but nobody forced him to convert to become a Governor!!

from Wikipaedia
    Holyoake invented the term "secularism" to describe his views of promoting a social order separate from religion, without actively dismissing or criticizing religious belief. An agnostic himself, Holyoake argued that "Secularism is not an argument against Christianity, it is one independent of it. It does not question the pretensions of Christianity; it advances others. Secularism does not say there is no light or guidance elsewhere, but maintains that there is light and guidance in secular truth, whose conditions and sanctions exist independently, and act forever. Secular knowledge is manifestly that kind of knowledge which is founded in this life, which relates to the conduct of this life, conduces to the welfare of this life, and is capable of being tested by the experience of this life."[8]

btwa UK and US are not called secular It is France and India, south korea,mexico

GRS
    I am talking about the masses ...My children know about the heritage of ancient tamils and our culture..
    let us not forget the British dug out our history and educated us...Indus as well as a lot of temples which were in ruins including our beloved bigtemple, so the average Joe public who doesn't know this because we don't have enough of it in our history books...its only Indus..Kushans..Moarya..gupta..Asokha..Harsha..Mughals...british(half a page on Tamil kings and Vijayanagaram..)
    They can easily be led astray by these fictory(fiction+history) movies.

Even our learned member Sankar believes that a true Hindu Bobby Jindal had to convert christianity to become a Governor...in a country let us face it the president is a son of a Kenyan with a middle name Hussain.

GRS
    Have you decided when you are closing MEET THE TAMILIAN....I THOUGHT PEOPLE WERE GOING TO WRITE A FEW WORDS ON THE MAN THEY WANTED TO MEET AND WHY

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

Emily Dickinson
  • Dear sir,

As i said, i will change my opinion on Bobby Jinda or Barrak Obama.(But that dosenot make Obama a Muslim either). I would be greatful if you confirm me that Religion is not an issue for a Citizen for getting elected to Presidenct/Governorship.

Since you have clarified that, as US, UK are not secular, then the question of Govts affliation dosenot araise.

Then that leaves India, South Korea- a unique place.Again South korea is again in adifferent position.

You may be right with refernce to US but sir i request the same to you on indian situation.The ground reality is some thing different. many of the ground newsare my first hand information

I will be the most happiest person, if proven wrong.
  • Dear Shankar

As far as US..You have to be born in the USA

http://cgi.stanford.edu/group/wais/cgi-bin/?p=10967 This is an interesting read if you are interested.

I am afraid Shankar we are discussing something that is totally not realted to our group..In India we have had Elected members based on peoples votes....The highest office of presidency has been rotated on a reasonable basis I dont think we have had a christian president yet!!

SRi

Emily Dickinson

To: [email protected]
  • I really did not want to respond to this but I feel I have to.

> As i said, i will change my opinion on Bobby Jinda or Barrak Obama.(But that dosenot make Obama a Muslim either). I would be greatful if you confirm me that Religion is not an issue for a Citizen for getting elected to Presidenct/Governorship.

Do you know anything about the founding of United States or its principles ? Please do not bounce in without having adequate information.

You can write any fiction on history and literature, but please do not do so for the current state of affairs.

- R
  • Dear All
    A lot has in one day...

I think enough is enough a few passionate mails with /without insight have derailed/highjacked our group ethos...

members have said goodbye...Good Luck to them

I have closed the poll

I am sure you have seen the results...

There are nice questions and threads started let us keep them coming...

I am sure we welcome religeon in the context of history....If not I am afraid for the near uture we will have to suspend such messages...

Some may be upset ....but I think we need this turmoil to settle

Kind regards

sri

Emily Dickinson

To: [email protected]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters