Enlightening article on Aryan Invasion Theory
  • Hi all,

Check the link.

http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/ancient/aryan/aryan_frawley.html

It was truly enlightening. In the middle of reading it, I was wondering why
    an article like this is not written by an indian? The author himself had put
    the same question in the end. Please do read.
  • >> I was wondering why
    > an article like this is not written by an indian?

Please read through Irvatham sir's works on Indus Valley.

from Iravtham sir's interview
    http://www.harappa.com/script/mahadevantext.html#4
    "As all scholars who have studied the problem agree, the incoming Aryans were relatively a very small minority and they were able to dominate only culturally and ultimately, in the assimilated Indo-Aryan or north Indian people, the indigenous racial element must have slowly surfaced. That is why we have no such thing as early Aryan pottery, because the pottery continued to be made by the local people. As someone has said jokingly, archaeology knows of no Aryans, only linguistics knows of Aryans. This is true. The answer to this is that the incoming Aryans were small in number. In this respect there was no cultural discontinuity. The real discontinuity was in language, principally, and in religion and ritual in the earliest levels, but in later levels, modern Hinduism as we know it is a composite of both pre-Aryan, native, animistic and tribal religions and the incoming Aryan religion. Perhaps when the Indus script is deciphered, I would not be surprised to find that the greater part of modern Hinduism has a Harappan lineage. "

"If you ask what similarity is likely to emerge, the first and most important similarity is linguistic. Culturally, there is a problem. The modern speakers of Dravidian languages are the result of millennia long intermixture of races. There are no Aryans in India, nor are there any Dravidians. Those who talk about Dravidians in the political sense, I do not agree with them at all. There are no Dravidian people or Aryan people - just like both Pakistanis and Indians are racially very similar. We are both the product of a very long period of intermarriage, there have been migrations. You cannot now racially segregate any element of the Indian population. Thus there is no sense in saying that the people in Tamil Nadu are the inheritors of the Indus Valley culture. You could very well say that people living in Harappa or Mohenjo-daro today are even more likely to be the inheritors of that civilization.

In fact, I plow a somewhat lonely furrow in this. I often say that if the key to the Indus script linguistically is Dravidian, then culturally the key to the Indus script is Vedic. What I mean is that the cultural traits of the Indus Valley civilization are likely to have been absorbed by the successor Indo-Aryan civilization in Punjab and Sindh, and that the civilization in the far south would have changed out of recognition. In any case, the present South Indian civilization is already the product of both Indo-Aryan and Dravidian cultures, and the language itself is completely mixed up with both elements. Tamil alone retains most of the earlier Dravidian linguistic structure. Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada have become Indo-Aryanized much more, and culturally, the Hindu religion is a complete combination of all these elements. Therefore while it is legitimate to look for survivals, those survivals are as likely to be found in the RgVeda as in Purananuru, a Tamil work, as likely to be found in Punjab and Sindh as in India and Sri Lanka. So we have to separate our approach of a linguistic connection where it is permissible to construct proto-languages and try to decipher a language, but if you are looking at the survival of cultural and social traits of Harappan civilization they are likely to be all over the subcontinent, overlaid with centuries of transformation in culture and of language. Some of the myths may survive but may become unrecognizable. It is not a very easy or straightforward relationship that you can trace, it is a tangle. "

Present works have gone to say Aryan settlement took place in phased manner with two identified regions in Indus valley with different age of settlement. The author(forgot who wrote the paper...went through all about Indus Valley when I wrote My Hisrtory of Murukan blog)says since there is two marked difference in settlement in these two regions, settlement has taken place over years and surely wouldn't be outcome due to an invasion. It looks like more phased settlement like periodic migration.The over population of the regions led to lesser resources which made poeple move south.

All these are theories.There are theories that say Indus valley people were not Dravidian, rather they were Munda( Three language groups in India - Indo Aryan , Dravidian,Munda)

There are so many such works available but only we are not aware about it.
  • I came across this article and couple of others as well after sending the
    mail. I was reading about Lemuria when I came across lot interesting
    articles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters