"Octopus Man" Chola, Raja Raja I (985 - 1014 AD). Copper 17mm. Raja Raja
    standing (it seems like he has 6 legs, a little like an octopus, giving
    this coin a popular name of "octopus man" coins / God seated. aVF, much
    nicer than these usually are.

Obverse: King standing with conch in left hand Right hand is above the
    glowing lamp
    Reverse: Seated King with raised arm on right leg Legend Sri Raja Raja
    on right half

Please let me know if this is a RRC coin.
  • http://cgi.ebay.in/Raja-Raja-Chola---Octopus-Man-Copper-Coin-985--1012-AD_W0QQitemZ360163536527QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090618?IMSfp=TL090618159001r1981

Dear Ganeshkumar,

for the price of Rs. 149 and ready to ship (any amount) these are replicas ! Not too sure whether he stamped such coin during his rule.

with check for that too.

regards / sps
  • Dear Mr SPS, Thanks for the enlightenment. Replicas !!

So do we get to buy RRC coins - original ones ?? any source ?

Is there any govt rule that objects beyond so many years' will be a
    national treasure and individuals cant posses it?
  • Hi Ganesh,

The coin you talked about - is a coin of the Chola dynasty. But need not be that printed by RRC. The coins of this type were widely in circulation until the Vijaya Nagardynasty displaced the Tamil kingdoms and brought in their own adminstration system. Most of these coins are eroded and you can't read the sanskrit lipi at the back side clearly. I have seen some good quality ones which you can source through coin dealers.

Hoards of these coins are liberally found at many places in South India as well as in countries such as Ceylon indicate the spread of the mighty Chola empire and the Chola economy thrived at that point. You can literally get "any number" of these coins from ebays and coin dealers today! That was the wealth of the Chola empire.

To a question - whether they are fakes - I dont think anyone is making fake Chola copper coins today. But there is a chance that during the Chola empire itself, these coins were faked. This is apparent from the quality of the coins as well as the volume in which they are available even today. There is pretty much a chance of making fake gold or silver Chola coins ( especially the RRJs, KCs etc ) in modern times, because of the market value.

Some time ago, we have debated why the Chola coins are notdesigned properly while the technology of bronze sculpture was pioneered during the Chola era. For example look at the Gupta coins or the coins of Indo-Greek, Kushan times and even the coins of the cankam age / Satavahana coins. They were much better and die struck. We were not able to come with a proper answer. The Cholas were probably temple builders and didnt concentrate on the coinage. Many coin dealing websites call these coins as "octopus man" coins (the portrait of RRC is seen asthe "octopus man", because the arms look like the tentacles of an octopus and notnhing better could be made of it)- what a pity, but that is what it looks like.

And welcome to the world of numismatics BTW. Talk to coin dealers & you can also get lot of books on Indian coinage today. Spend your money too !!

See these website as well:

http://coinshoppee.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.chennaimuseum.org/draft/gallery/04/01/coin5.htm
  • Hi Ganesh,

The coin you talked about - it is a coin of the Chola dynasty. But need not be that printed by RRC. The coins of this type were widely in circulation until the Vijaya Nagar dynasty displaced the Tamil kingdoms and brought in their own adminstration system. Most of these coins are eroded and you can't read the sanskrit lipi at the back side clearly. I have seen some good quality ones which you can source through coin dealers.

Hoards of these coins are found easily ( some times weighing several Kgs ) at many places in South India as well as in countries such as Ceylon indicate the spread of the mighty Chola empire and the Chola economy thrived at that point. You can literally get "any number" of these coins from ebays and coin dealers today! That was the wealth of the Chola empire.

To a question - whether they are fakes - I dont think anyone is making fake Chola copper coins today, as the market value is small and number of coins one can get is plenty. But there is a chance that during the Chola empire itself ( or during late Chola empire ), these coins were faked. This is apparent from the quality of the coins as well as the volume in which they are available even today. There is pretty much a chance of making fake gold or silver Chola coins ( especially the RRJs, KCs etc ) in modern times, because of the market value.

Some time ago, we have debated why the Chola coins are not designed properly while the technology of bronze sculpture was pioneered during the Chola era. For example look at the Gupta coins or the coins of Indo-Greek, Kushan times and even the coins of the cankam age / Satavahana coins. They were much better and die struck. None of the Chola coins are comparable. We were not able to come with a proper answer. The Cholas were probably temple builders and didnt concentrate on the coinage or didnt possess the techology. Many coin dealing websites call these coins as "octopus man" coins ( the portrait of RRC is seen as the "octopus man", because the arms look like the tentacles of an octopus and nothing better could be made of it ) - what a pity, but that is what it looks like.

And welcome to the world of numismatics BTW. Talk to coin dealers & you can also get lot of books on Indian coinage today. Spend your money too !!

• Dear Venkateswaran,

Just on the platform in front of Spencer plaza - or in shops around Tourist importance like Belur / Halabedu - lots of coins - pasted on cards - (allegedly) of various origins - are being sold and are bargainable !! One can get 10 / 15 coins for 300 - 500 Rs. easily.

Hardly any of them are 400 - 1000 yr old !!

regards/ sps
  • Ok... If you go through Dr. Jaybee's viswacomplex, you will find the link to Pudukottai amman kasu along with its photo (araikkasu amman @ Brahadambal !) - of Thondaman period !

Today it is sold at Rs. 25 / Kasu (new edition !!)

Whenever something is placed / lost, we used to Pray to Arakkasu amman and offer Paanagam !

What is lost / misplaced used to be found in most of the cases !

regards/ sps
  • Dear Venkateswaran,

thanks for the links.

http://coinshoppee.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=27_64&osCsid=bfccce1dc8145e650e4756fe4a38340e

One gold coin : Rs. 6000. (1000 - 400 yr old )

1914 King George 1 anna is sold for Rs. 150 !

regards/ sps
  • Dear Sir,
    As you said, I have got several experiences of losing things & after praying to Araikasu amman, I have got almost all my things back. I can never forget when I lost my father's purse during my brother's marriage with all the ATM Cards, credit cards etc. and after praying to Araikasu Amman, we got a call from a school in our area that the purse was found in the school playground with all the things in it (of course, except for cash). We are used to offering jaggery instead of panagam.
    RegardsVardhini
  • Dear Mr SPS

I too noticed that price difference.

But for Rs 150 at ebay will some one create fakes of a coins ? How many coin collectors are there to buy these specialized coins. (I can understand at Rs 6000 it is worthwhile business - but at 150 the motivation to fake it goes down)
  • Very nice Vardhni.

About 20 days back - my manager in Kumbakonam - lost his bike along with a title document of our property also. Some guy taken away the bike with the document in the side box. We tried our best to locate.. not traced.

After 10 days prayed to Araikkasu Amman - Abhishegam !

Surprising !

The bike was found during a Vehicle check at Anaiukkarai and from the RC book my manager was traced by Police and upon his information we found the bike and the Document in tact !!

Of course Abhishegam concluded next Sunday itself at Pudukottai !!

matter of belief.

regards / sps
  • Dear Ganeshkumar,

No issues at all.

May be our coin - Collectors pay only so much sum so that the sellers do not have option but to offer at this rate.

regards/ sps
  • The coin listed for Rs. 6000 /- is a gold coin. The other ones are copper coins. The gold coin is perhaps a better specimen.

RRC copper coins are reported to be found in large hoards weighing several kgs...So they are very cheap... I dont think there are many buyers though.

We can probably give one RRC coin free to each participant of our event!
  • > We can probably give one RRC coin free to each participant of our event!

that should ensure peak attendance

can we really?

venketesh
    >
    >
  • An interesting idea !!

BUT... It should be authentic. Illaina kazhutha Vitta kai niraya madhiri aahirum.

I have ordered one today evening at Rs 150. (Vidhi yarai vittadhu !!). I thought I will anyway bet Rs 150 and bring it for the Aug event and check with you people about its authenticity !!

I will check with the ebay seller for more availability.

I should be getting this coin by this weekend and I will courier it to you Mr SPS. I will appreciate if you can pl the check and let me know its authenticity.
  • Dear Venkat,

Lets discuss this during our next meet.

Thanks and best regards,

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters