History of Sri Chennamalleswaran & Sri Chenna Kesawa Perumal Temple
  • Sri Chennamalleswaran
    & Sri Chenna Kesawa
    Perumal Temple

    The English set
    their feet on Madras during 1645.
    At the time the temple was located at the Place where High Court stands now.

    The lands were measuring 270' x 270'
    = 72,900 sq. ft. and it was donated by one Mr.Nagappan, who was working as
    agent for the East India Company, to one
    Mr. Narayana Iyer on Aug. 1646, and one Mr. Bery Thimmappa had constructed the
    temple, and donated the same to Mr. Narayana Iyer on 24th April 1648. (Monday,
    Tiriyodisi, Chirai month 28th, Sarvadarai year, Salivahana 1569 24 - 4 - 1648)1

    Between 26th October to 9th November 1645, the East India
    Company entered an agreement with the then King of Chennai, Sri. Ranga for
    doing trade with Chennai. In that Agreement, King Sri Ranga, put a condition
    that English should print its coin, and one of the coin should bear the symbol
    of Chennakeswara Perumal with two Devis.

    temple was removed by English during 17572. Due to this an unrest
    prevailed among the Public and a case was filed against East India Company.3
    The Court ordered the company to allot a land for the temple, and was alloted
    at Peddu Naiken Pettah, and a land measuring 24,000 sq. ft. was allotted at
    Gongu Ramaiah street. (Present Devaraja Mudali Street).
    The People who were residing at that time there, were allotted another land and
    a sum of Pagodas 565.254 was given as compensation to the residence
    to shift their houses. Apart from this, the company gave pagodas 1173 for
    temple construction, and Publics, Merchents, Mirasdaus, Jamindars donated to
    amount Pag. 9275. The Then Company Agent Mr. Manali Muthu Krishna
    Mudali donated Pag. 5202, and took charge as Dharmakartha of the temple. The
    total amount for construction of the temple costed Pag. 15,650. It took 4 years for compleation
    of the temple, and Kumbabishekam was held during 1780 Mr. Manali Muthu Krishna Mudali died during

    The East India
    company gave Pag. 500 every year to the temple for festivals, etc., The Temple
    management collected a Tax of Pag. 800 every year from the traders and Public.
    The Maha Raja of Kalahasti donated Pag. 100 every year.

    The Post of Agent, Mr. Manali Muthu
    Krishna Mudali was holding at that time, that Mr. Mudaliar will collect the tax
    on behalf of the company from the public and hand over the entire amount to the
    East India Company, and for this he was paid a handsome amount as commission.

    Mr. Manali Muthu Krishna Mudali was
    having a Property if 100 caunis of land at that time5 (one cauni = 24 grounds = 57,600 sq. ft.).
    Apart from this Mr. Muthu Krishna Mudaliar was holding lands at Manali where he
    prepared salt. These lands were leased to Mr. Muthu Krishna Mudaliar by the
    East India Company. In tenture of time, it was registered in favour of Mr.
    Muthu Krishna Mudali.

    Mr. Manali Muthu Krishna Mudaliar
    had three sons, namely Thambiappa, Ponnaiah, and Solaiappan.

    After Mudaliar's death during 1792.
    His eldest son Chinnaiah Mudali, took change of the temple

    Mr. Chinnaiah Mudaliar had two sons
    by name Mr. Chinna Muthu Krishna Mudaliar, and Lakshmana Mudali.

    Mr. Chinnaiah Mudaliar died during
    1818, after which the Dharmakartha Post should have been given only to Mr.
    Chinna Muthu Krishna Mudali. (But Mr. Thambiappa, next brother of Mr. Chinnaiah
    took charge of the temple with the help of the then collector Mr. Murrey.) Mr.
    China Muthu Krishna Mudali was holding office during 1817 for few months only,
    and at that time he minted a copper coin of value Half Anna with Raman and
    Lakshmanan alone. (The Pose that they are going for vanavasa to live in the
    forest). He stayed as Dharmakartha of the temple. (He gave this letter to the
    company on 06 – 01 – 1817 and took charge on

    06–02–1817. He minted the Raman &
    Lakshmanan copper coin during April 1817 (Rama Navami day). But, Mr. Chinnaiah
    Mudali took change (snatched the Dharmakartha Post) from Chinna Muthu Krishna
    Mudaliar during August / September 1817 with the assistance of Mr. Murrey, the
    then Collector of Madras, and started receiving funds from East India Company
    and collected donations from the merchants and Public.

    Mr. Chinna Muthu
    Krishna Mudaliar was forced to vacate the office of Dharmakartha, and returned
    to Manali to look after this lands at Manali. Mr. Thambiappa died during 1833,
    and Mr. Thambiappah’s son Mr. Appa Rao Mudali took change as Dharmakartha of
    the temple.

    Mr. Chinna
    Muthu Krishna Mudali filed a suit in the court on

    12–10–1833 through his advocate Mr. Teed, for the
    Dharmakartha Post.

    By the mean time
    Mr. Lakshmana Mudali younger Brother of Mr. Chinna Krishna Mudali also filed a
    suit, on 18– 01 –1834, through his advocate Mr. Vivash, for his share in the
    Manali Estate.6 and Prayed that the Judgment on Dharmakartha's case
    should not be delivered until he gets his Judgment..

    The then Collector, appointed his
    staff to mainta
  • - Dear Ramachandran Sir,

    That is wealth of information.


    Reminding us of Poona MALLEE !!

    Thanks for sharing.

    with best regards / sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters