Pallavaram Zamindars - Request for information
  • Strange.. Nobody seems to know these Zamindars or their descendants..
    I tried googling, talking to people from that area.. doesnt help..

Veegopalji, you lived there for 20 yrs right? any clues?
  • Pallavaram is considered to be one of the oldest inhabited places in SouthIndia.
    A major archaeologicalfind was made in the year 1864 when the Britisharchaeologist
    Robert Bruce Footediscovered a stoneimplement from thePaleolithic Ageinside a ballast pit.
    Since then, a number of stone age artifactshave been uncovered.Most of these artifacts
    are currently lodged in the Egmore museum.

The present-day town of Pallavaram has its origins in the setllement of Pallavapuram which existed during
    the time of the 7th centuryPallavakingMahendravarman I.The remains of a cave shrine constructed by
    the Pallava ruler have been found at the spot where an Islamic dargahnow stands.

It appears that Sayid Badr Ud-Din, waged a jihad forGolconda, was martyredfighting the Portuguese at San
    Thome {St. Thomas Mount]. His body was buriedin Zamin Pallavaram and came to be called Sayid Badr Ud-Din
    Sahid dargah. The dargah is still available there. "Kandhuri" or "Urs" is an annual festival conducted by the faithful
    in memory of these mystics.

Both theMughal Empireand theBritish East India Company had their cantonments in Pallavaram.

During the 17th century, Pallavaram remained dependent for sometime, upon the Portuguese colony of
    San Thome. During the 18th century, the British established a cantonment at Pallavaram, supplementary to
    the one atSt. Thomas Mount. Awireless stationwas established in the early years of the 20th century.
    onwards, Pallavaram formed
    one of the chief areas of Greater Madras.

There used to be a big bungalow where some muslim families resided. People used to say that they are the
    descendants of Pallavaram Zamindar but no names are available ! We lived in a colony named Lathiff
    Colony in ZaminPallavaram which is the only place named after a Muslim. So I think he might be
    the zamindar but I am notsure. At the same time, strangely, there are also no other colonies named
    after a muslim ! My father used to tell us that when our house was constructed there, at the time
    of excavating the landfor the foundation there used to be lot of human skeletons ! Maybe the
    war was fought there or the placemight have become a burial ground No further details are available !

veegopalji
  • Thanks for the info!!
  • You may try approaching Mr. Annal
    He does lot of research on these.
    His mobile no is9381039035.
    Please keep me updated
  • To add to this conversation, folks in this forum may be interested in reading the original discovery reported in the Science magazine last year. Science, one of the most prestigious publications, reports discoveries of importance. Attached you will find the original article by Dr. Pappu and his team of researchers. Since the report alters our current understanding of Hominins movement a special report by one of the editors was published in the same issue (also attached).

The significance is that a group of Hominins seem to have settled around Chennai region (Pallavaram, Attirampakkam) some 1.5 million years ago. Hominins are pre-cursor species to Homo sapiens (that is us the humans). The attached Science comment article (see figure) that the finding at Attirampakkam is one of the oldest found thus far outside of Africa. Thus the excavations have led to revising our current understanding of migration of “stone tool technology”, as shown in the figure.

The Hindu covered this publication at a later time, and if you want a lite version, please see: http://www.thehindu.com/arts/history-and-culture/article3516451.ece

Or, at Antiquity: http://www.antiquity.ac.uk/projgall/pappu297/

Regards, Raj Mutharasan
  • Amazing articles! It is really a great feeling to hear about our town's history and it's significance in ancient times. I lived in Pammal for 15 years and have heard about those places. It is believed that the region where I lived should have been a cemetry in Pallava period ( not sure how far it is true). There is also a temple build during Chola period.

I would like to know more about these places in ancient dynasties. Also many places in Chennai would be having such history behind them. Can anybody share those details?

Gayathri Muralidharan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters