Tidal Waves that destroyed regions of Ancient Tamil Nadu
  • Date:11-4-2012

Anbulla Vaasakarkale,

There had been an earth tremour today afternoon in Sumatra, with the epi-centre at the 'Arche region' (former Ilaamurithesam) of Sumatra.

Alerts have been given in many countries of any possible Tsunami including Nicobar Islands (former Nakkavaram)

Tsunami has affected Tamil Nadu of India too on many occasions in the past. The following URL will lead to my Thread in Mayyam Hub, in connection with same - for those who may find the Thread of some Interst.

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8301-Tidal-Waves-that-destroyed-regions-of-ancient-Tamil-Nadu
  • Thanks a lot for the interesting and informative article sir. If you give the tamil works in Tamil fonts also, it will be helpful.
  • Sir,

About Kumarikkodu and Adiyarkkunallar's commentary, my question is this:
    Can we really trust a commentary that was made a thousand years after an
    epic that was made a thousand (at least) years after the fact?

He seems to be reading a whole lot of details into the epic that don't seem
    to exist in the text itself...

What's the location of all these lands, if they indeed did exist? What's
    the time-frame? If we know some of that, archaeology and geology can help
    with the rest.

Also, the land around Kumari is protected by Sri Lanka and the shallows of
    Adam's Bridge. Rising sea levels may do it, if we're talking about shallow
    waters around that area, but a tsunami is rather unlikely (unless of
    course, it came from the south-west, which again is not so seismologically
    active)...

For a better example, I'd suggest Poompuhar. It's right on the path of any
    tsunamis from the Sumatra region, and it was destroyed at least once that
    we know of. Being in historical times, I doubt rising sea levels in this
    case. A tsunami, or several, seems very likely.

Shash
  • Date: 11-4-2012

Anbumikka Shaswath,

My answer to your first question is as follows:

An individual called Virarajendra has written a Research article titled "The origin and spread of the Cult of Kannaki (Pattini) in the Mayyam Hub Web site. When you read through his article you will note much details (commentary) have been given on the life history of Kannaki and Kovalan by him - living 2000 years after this historical incidence took place. Can we trust on his details & commentary ???

The answer is - he has chosen a Literary Document called Silappathikaaram written by a poet named Ilango Adikal who was a contemporary of the period of Silapathikarem period 2000 years ago and has given first hand informations on the incidences that has actually taken place as confirmed by the evidences from other sources.

Likewise though Adiyaakku Nallaar lived 1000 years back after the last Tsunami incidences he has given so much of intricate details not from his imagination but very possibly quoted from a historical or literary document written possibly 2000 years back and was still in existance 1000 years later during the Adiyaarkku Nallaar's period but lost to us today.

Further this information are from Adiyarrkku Nallaar's commentry found in Dr U.V.Saminatha Iyer's edition of Silappathikarem, in the Iraiyanaar's Ahapporul Vilakkam, and seperately in a set of Ola Leaves found in the Sittrambalakk Kaviraayer of Tamil Nadu of the 19th century, but all having slight variations.

There are many research books written by different Scholars on "Lost Lemuria" a land mass that was in existance south of Kanniyakumari of which Sri Lanka formed a part. The text Sivatharumoththiram states that the landmass with a mountain known as as Mahendramalai submerged into the sea and prior to same the Sri Lanka was on the east of Mahendra malai. This give us a hint when many lands south of Kanyakumari submerged in to the sea Sri Lanka remained and became an island in one of the major Tsunamis. If you read through my article carefully, and also read through the sections discussing about Mahendramalai in my Thread titled "Evolution and development of Saivaism in Tamil Nadu" also found in the Mayyam Hub Website, much of your doubts can be cleared.

The Second Thamil Sangam was in existance in the Pandiya Nadu at the time of Valmiki Ramayana wherin Sukrivan was requested to search Seetha also at Pandiya Nadu in Kapadapuram.

The date of the first Thamil Sangam devastated by Tsunami is still to be properly determined.

Lastly I want to end up with what the Silapathikarem says of the destruction of Kapadapuram which is:

"Pahruli Aartrudan pan malai adukkathu Kumarik kodum (kodu = hills)kodum kadal kolla...." which will be some food for thought to clear your doubts.

Mikka Anbudan

Virarajendra
  • Sir,

The reason I ask these questions is that there's no geological evidence for
    a massive land mass south of India. At best, a few coastal areas may have
    been submerged. Not even the most powerful tsumani can sink an entire
    continent. So, where do we place these stories?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters