AAdi perukku
  • Dear All

Wishing you all a prosperous ADIPERUKKU!!

My memories of adiperukku go to the days I spent travelling from Ariyalur to Thanjavur in the Bus when I was in 5th Std....with PS fresh in my mind ....looking at Cauvery,Arasilaru,,Kollidam and Thiruvaiyaaru had a special meaning...

I would be lying if I said I wasnt expecting Kundavai or Vanathi in a Odam or Alvarkadiyan in the crowds....

Living the TNJ Adiperullu is still good but had to live with Puthaaru....
  • Dear all

Belated wishes for Aadi Perukku

SPS its nice to hear about the venture to bring the Bronze from Sarabhai Museum but we have discussed this before what happened to the Bronze which is on the left side of the temple hall praying the Urchavamoorthys in Thanjavur?

Heritage Quiz in Thanjavur with possibly live telcate in one of the channels?

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson
  • Dear SPS friends & Family,

Thanks for Aadiperukku remainder. Still now I was a silent member of this
    group and enjoying reading various topics, by which I came to know more
    about our valuable Tamil culture and history.

Though long back I settled here in Germany, this year I plan to celebrate
    Aadiperukku – ofcourse inspired by SPS - it would be great full, if someone
    elaborate the history of Aadiperrukku and what we have to do exactly on this
    day.

If there is any one here in Heidelberg, please let me know, so that we can
    celebrate together.
  • dear friends:
    yes, this day brings back many good memories and events to all of
    us..in the cauvery delta zone (CDZ) we celebrate it with much pomp and
    splendour..in fact it used to be a local holiday and one should in the
    river fronts to see how people enjoy..
    our vandthithvan also started journey this day as kalki had penned..i
    just happened to cross kollidam yesterday and it is in full spate as
    kalki has desribed long ago..since metur dam was absent it should have
    been in floods..
    although we are now in a sewa front down south we do celebrate it as
    usual although people in this area do not know anything about this
    because it is a sea-based culture whereas our is a river-based
    culture..cholas were of course a mix of sorts as they were the first
    great sea farers, thanks to kalinga balu for his contributions...

may we share our joy with you all friends
  • DEAR SATISH DAMODHARAN,

Very nice to hear from you.

Re Adiperukku - we have to check the details in Literature etc., Not sure of inscriptional support. any how worth searching far.

Essentially - We have been reciprocating MOTHER NATURE - and During Aadi - with Rivers flowing in full swing - thanks to South West monsoon, We are worshipping the Water (River form) by offering flowers and praying for prosperity.

Since there was no Heavy Industry - economy thrived on Business (Trade) in Urban settlements and Agriculture in Rural area.

With RECLAMATION OF LAND ALONG CAUVERY (RIVER) BELT WAS ACCORDED PRIORITY, IT IS CLEAR THAT EVERY SQUARE FEET OF LAND WAS USED FOR CULTIVATION ( 1/32000 or so was the accuracy of measurement in ancient Chola Kingdom) and OF COURSE RICE EXPORT SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT ENORMOUS WEALTH TO THE EMPIRE !!

SO BASICALLY CHOSE TO CONDUCT A SIMPLE PRAYER TO A WATER BODY - WITH MINIMAL OFFERING (ENSURE NO POLLUSION) OF FLOWER AND SHARING OF ETHINIC FUD WITH YOUTH !!

IT CAN BE ADDED IT IS INDIAN CUSTOM TO RECIPROCATE THE ADVANTAGES WE RECEIVE FROM THE MOTHER NATURE - AND THIS OCCASION IS CHOSEN FOR WATER - LIKE FIRE CHOSEN DURING BOGI / DIWALI !

very best wishes, sps
  • Dear all,

Aadi Perukku greetings to everyone. :)
  • Like SPS sir said, it is primarily thanks giving to Mother Cauvery. Newly wed couples leave their marriage garlands on this day to the river apart from regular poojas on the bank, including making Maavilakku. I remember as a boy making a toy chariot taking through streets and leaving it on to the river. I hail from Veeranarayanapuram (Kattumannarkoil) and am proud our KALKI has chosen our town to start PS
  • "" ...........

ur vandthithvan also started journey this day as kalki had penned..

I just happened to cross kollidam yesterday and it is in full spate as
    kalki has desribed long ago..since metur dam was absent it should have
    been in floods.. although we are now in a sewa front down south we do celebrate it as usual although people in this area do not know anything about this because it is a sea-based culture whereas our is a river-based culture ........ ""

VERY APPROPRIATELY RECALLED SIR. !!

WONDERFUL TO HEAR FROM YOU.

WARM RGDS. sps
  • There are epigraphs refering to the ayana sankarantis - ie 1st of Aadi ( Dakshinayana) and 1st of Thai ( Utharayana) and also Chithirai 1 ( Mesha Sankaranthi)
    Interestingly references of Vaigai bathing festivals are found in literrature.
    But Kavirip Puthuppunal - need to be checked.
  • LIKE KADAMBUR VIJAY -
    OUR DEAR PAVENDHAN VIJAY ALSO HAILS FROM VEERANARAYAPURAM !!

VEERANARAYANAPERUMAL also figures in the First few Chapters and how can we forget Azhwarkkadiyan ?

thanks for the Greetings.

sps

============
  • Dear Friends,

Vadagalai - tenkalai topic is closed...

We do not encourage caste related discussions ...

Members may be aware that Dr. Kaliasam has written prequel to PS and published as Malarcholai Mangai ...

PS reminds us of alwarkadian / vandhiayethavan ..
    and their meeting at Veeranam !!

With adequate water in Cauvery belt, presently Veeranam is almost as described by Kalki.

let us focus on these interesting things.

sps

==========

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters