chola navigation package
  • dear all,

while surfing i found a review about the book " chola navigation package ". the review is very interesting. i think i will get this book very soon. searching for an online purchase of this book to deliver at singapore.

http://dakdr.blogspot.com/2007/08/chola-navigation-package.html.

this is the link. pls take a look at this blog.

thanking you
  • The link is not opening
  • Thanks Shahshwat

In Sangam there are reference on Tamil Navy

I was wondering whether our people went to Himalayas through sea route and engraved fish,tiger and bow as mentioned in sangam and silappadikaram.

Of cource there are references in Mahabharata where a Pandya ( and his army)fought bravely on Duriyodanan side. This is referred by Pandyas in Chinnamanoor plates also. Hence Land route also was used by our people to reach North.
  • In general, it's easier to use the land route in the peninsula. There are no
    rivers running north-south, and if you go by the Bay of Bengal, you could
    easily get caught in a cyclone. I don't see the advantage of the sea route
    for much other than reaching the other side of the sea (ie, Burma, Malaysia
    or Indonesia).

Of course, the land route was used quite often; you have various bits of
    trade going up and down...
  • Highly Scholarly Doctor from Malaysia observes::

RAJENDRA CHOLA NEVER SET FOOT INTO KADARAM SOIL -
    NOR RULED S.E.A.

CHOLA ERA 10 AD. AFTER THAT KADARAM DATES BACK TO 1ST CE, WHICH WAS THE PALLAVA EMPIRE. THE LARGEST AT ITS TIME IN SOUTH ASIA.

HENCE THE WORD :: " PAHLAWAN" EXISTS TILL TODAY !!

WITH WARM REGARDS TO DOCTOR,

sps

=========
  • Date: 23-6-2010

Anbu Mikka Thiru SPS,

My very very humble advices on what is referred below.

(1) I am very much interested in knowing the name of the Scholar under reference.

(2) As per the Doctor it is true Rajendra Chola - 1 himself never went on the Kadarem expedition, but he sent his forces possibly under the leadership of a Chola Prince - and his Generals to Kadarem.

The Rajendra Chola's Meikeerththi----says

"Alai Kadal Naduvul pala Kalam seluththi Sangirama Vijayothungavarmanana Kadaraththu arasanai vaakaiyum poru kadal
    kumbak kariyodum ahappaduthth(i)..."

There are very many evidences to Rajendra Chola's Kadarem expedition, both from Tamil Nadu & "Malaysian historical Documents".

I will very soon be writing a Research Article, "with all evidences too given", in PonniyinSelvan Website titled "Chola Empire and its relations with Malaysia & Indonesia".

I have already read a Paper in English on the above title at the 6th International Tamil Conference Seminar held in Malaysia in 1987, Session presided by Dr Noboru Karashima and in the presence of Dr Singaravelu of University of Malaysia. The article which I propose
    to write is with much more informations than the one I submitted at this conference.

Until such time this Research article appears in PS Group Website soon, for those interested in knowing more on this subject and also on Kulothunga Chola - 1's Kadaram expedition, please read through my PDF File in Tamil stored in the Ponniyin Selvan - File Section under the caption "Virarajendra PDF"

Mikka Anbudan

Virarajendra
  • Read thru the pdf file - impressive notes.
    Have some questions - will pen them down.
  • Dear sundar ji
    It is excellent work dear.  
    I could not find appropriate appreciable words to praise you for this velvi.

Goddess Saraswathai will definitely give her blessings.
  • Dear VR,

I replied you.

Will also forward your mail.

rgds/. sps
  • dear all,

Finally yesterday i got the book " CHOLA NAVIGATION PACKAGE " via online purchase delivered safely in a perfect sealed packing to my residence in singapore. still i didnt get in to the book. but have little glance. this book has many maps, wind flow diagrams around bay of bengal, measuring details of stars positions using hands, ports along east and west coasts of india, srilankan ports.

these are the contents :

1. EARLY TAMIL NAVIGATION

2. SEA ADVENTURES OF PALLAVAS AND CHOLAS

3. NAUTICAL PERSPECTIVES OF THE NAVAL EXPEDITION OF RAJENDRA CHOLA

4. CHOLA NAVIGATION CONCEPTS

5. STELLAR NAVIGATION AND LOCATION FIX: A MANUAL EXTRACT

6. ARENA OF CHOLA NAVIGATION

7. PARALLEL SAILING TO RHUMB LINE SAILING

8. CHOLA NAVIGATION PRACTICE AND THEORY

9. EPILOGUE

References and index

after the glance, i felt that if we read this book with a guidence of a seaman or if we have a minimum amount of sea knowledge, this book will be a great feast for us.

i feel very happy, because i was searching this book for the past 5 months. finally i got this book.

thanking you,
  • Dear sakthi sree

Please send me the Online ID for "" CHOLA NAVIGATION PACKAGE", because I'm
    also very much interest to purchase.

I check in the Net, but they said not available, something. So please send
    me the NET ID as soon as possible.

Note:

Still I'm searching the Publisher & Sales Shop ID's..
  • dear sir,

this is the online link http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=chola+navigation+package&sts=t. pls try this.

thanking you,
  • Hi,

Which site did you order this book?

Thanks and best regards,
  • hi

if you are in singapore, drop me a mail with your contact number please
  • dear sir,

this is the online link http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=chola+navigation+package&sts=t. pls try this.

thanking you,
  • Dear sakthi sree

Really surprised thanks this favors mail

Many thanks. But they mentioned two Book seller names; one is "India"
    another one is "UK"

India means = the book rate around 500 /- rupees only.

But UK book rate is 1250/- [$18.77 book rate + $6.23 - Shipping = $25 -Total
    rate]

Do you prefer in which book? Please mentioned clearly, and which book you
    purchased?

Please I need your comments & suggestion!!...

Note :

I'm eagerly waiting for your comments and suggestion; please asap send me
    the details after that I would like to purchase the book.
  •  Dear All,

This is a good news, if any one want the book " CHOLA NAVIGATION PACKAGE" you can get it from  Sterling Book House, 181, Dr. D.N.Road, Fort, Mumbai - 400001.

You can mail to Mr. Rajagopal on his mail id [email protected], His contact number is 09820913792.

He can send the book, I got it from him . As a mariner it is a great  & interesting book for me. I will read it fully and then comment.

Thanks and Regards 
    Aravindhan.K.V.
     R/O Trident -2
    Daily move forward atleast an inch..

• Dear Aravindhan.K.V,

Many Many Thanks for giving great news, I'm also spoke with Mr.Rajagopal and
    get the Information's.

Really surprised, still I'm also searching and post the mail in to this
    blog.

Now only I got the great and happy news.

Once again thanks to you.
  • Dear Mr. Hariharan,

it's alright.. no need of thanks .. we all are friends and sharing the informations..

Have a nice day.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters