saiva siddhantham-conclusion
  • thiruchitrambalam,

SAIVA SIDDHANTHA BIBLIOGRAHY:
    1.veda phase,(BCE)
    The early works are called Vedas. They are rig,yajur,sama and adharvana. They are categorized into the samitha,brahmanaha,aranyaha and upanisads. The upanisads have the highest metaphysical contents and there are about 12 principal upanisads like isha,kena,katho,mandukya…etc.
    2agama phase,(BCE)
    Later phase the agamas which are 28 in numbers. They were followed by some 240 upa-agamas. Most of them are in Sanskrit only. Some are in tamil like the SIVATHARUMOTHARAM written in 16th century.
    3.Purana phase,
    There are about 7-8 siva puranas. Notable amongst them are the SIVAPURANAM AND LINGA PURANAM. They were written in the 4-5th century CE.
    4.Thirumurai phase,
    THIRUMURAI TEXS:
    The thiru murais were written between 5th century and 12th century. They are classified into 12.
    1.sambandar thevaram-first 3 murais
    2.appar thevaram –second 3 murais
    3. sundaramoorthy thevaram –third 1 murai
    4.manickavasagar thiruvasagam-8th thirumurai
    5.thiruvisaipa and thirupallandu-9th murai
    6.thirumoolar thirumandhram-10th murai
    7. prabandhams by various authors like karaikal ammayar, poets from Madurai like nakeerar,kabilar,baranar and patinathar..etc-11th murai
    8. sekizhar periya puranam-12th murai

5.Sastra phase,
    THE SANDHANA TEXTS:
    The sandhana sastras were written between 13th century and 14th century. The authors are called sandhanacharyas. They are six among them.
    1.MEYKANDAR:sivagnanabodham
    2.ARULNANDHI: sivaprakasam, thruvarutpayan, vinavenba, potripahrodai,kodikavi, nenjuviduthoodhu,
    Unmainerivilakam,sangarpanirakaranam.
    3.UMAPATHISIVAM:sivagnanasiddhiyar,irupa irupadhu
    4.THIRUKADVOOR UYYAVANDH THEVAR:thirukalitrupadiyar
    5.THIRUVIYALOOR UYYAVANDHA DHEVAR:thiruvundhiyar
    6.THIRUVADHIKAI MANAVASAGANKADANTHAR:unmai vilakam
    They have written together the 14 books of the sandhana tradition.

6.adheenam phase,
    PANDARA SASTRAS(OF THIRU-AVADUTHURAI):
    The thiru-avaduthurai adheenam was estabilished in the middle of 14th century by gurunamasiyar at thiruvaduthurai near the temple gomuktheeswarar. This is exactly the temple thirumoolar had hidden his sadhasiva-agamam (thirumandhiram) in the 5th century fearing the jain persecution. These books were retrieved later in 7th century by sambandhar near the nandhi mandapam of the temple.
    The adheenam is a monastery that holds the highest traditions of saiva doctrines. It has a library that has eight centuries of existence. The pontiffs are selected as per the saiva norms and the current head is the 23rd in that tradition.
    Some of the books written by the pontiffs of the adheenams are categorized and are called thiruvaduthurai pandara sastrams. They were written between 14th century and 17th century. They are,
    AMBALAVANA DHESIKAR:
    1.SANMARGASIDDHIYAR
    2.DHASAKARIAM
    3.SIVASRAMA THELIVU
    4.SIDDHANTHA PAHRODAI
    5.SIDDHANTHA SIGAMANI
    6.UBAYANITAI VENBA
    7.NITAI VILAKAM
    8.UBADHESA VENBA
    9.ADHISAYA MALAI
    10.NAMASIVAYA MALAI

DHAKSHINA MOORTHY DHESIKAR:
    11.UBADHESA PAHRODAI
    12.DHASAKARIYAM
    SWAMINADHA DHESIKAR:
    13.DHASAKARIYAM
    PEROOR VELAPA DHESIKAR:
    14.PANCHAKRA PAHRODAI

PADIYAM(BASHYAM) WORKS:
    These are notes and explanations to the original texts mentioned above. They are too many. Notable amongst them are,
    ASHTA PRAHRANAM-written in 9-10 century in Sanskrit
    SIVAGNANA MAPADIYAM-written by sivagnana mamunivar middle 18th century
    ARUMUGA NAVALAR-19TH century

7.modern phase
    Contemporary works: books written in prose and in English. Some of them are actively published in the cyberspace, like the TAMIL HERITAGE FOUNDATION and PROJECT MADURAI. Some important contemporary writers are,
    Prof.Subbu reddiyar-thirupathi
    Prof.Vellai varanam-porayar
    Prof.S.Kunchithapatham-thiruvaduthurai
    Prof.K.Vaidyanathan-thiruvaduthurai
    Prof.K.Loganathan –malaysia
    Prof.Rajasekaran-poombuhar

CONCLUSION:
    The core issues of saiva philosophy, that is pathi, pasu and pasam are well explained in most other works. Therefore I took up the other issues like the comparative philosophy and agamic psychology in my work.needless to say there are abundance of improvements that are needed in my task.
    I will be grateful to anyone who give their criticism and suggestions. I will be thankful to them and will be eager to correct myself.
    I must thank the above mentioned contemporary authors. I have liberally borrowed from their works both in inspiration and concept.
    I wish more saiva people will bring out scholarly modern works in English so that saivism will guide humanity in general and tamils in particular around the world.
    Thiruchitrambalam!

gandhi
  • Dear Thiru Gandhiram!

An excellent service you have rendered by providing this saiva siddhanandam series and kindly accept my hearty thanks to you

The BIBLIOGRAHY what you gave for modern phase, Kindly add the greatest service being rendered by Sri Maravanpulavu Sachithanandam, the 76 years old Jaffna born Tamil scholar now settled in Chennai, whose task of bringing all the 18000+ Thirumurais in to e-format was realised after hard work of nearly more than 10 years. Scores of people who have participated in thgis devine project and realised this site named www.thevaaram.org. The web site was made official by Tharumai Adheenam now.

Now people from all part of world can know and render thirumurai songs. All the songs have been explained in detail by various scholar. Most of songs were with Audio connected.The site is getting more than 30000 hits per day.

The good news apart from this, now Thirumurai is being taken to other language people in a big way. The process is going on at present.Already English translation of explanation is available and Hindi and Telugu also to certain extend. Kannada and Malayalam also started. The french institute at Pondy have shown interest in translating into french.

I suggest to Thiru to kindly make a file of Sri Gandhiram's full texts, so that the future generation, those who don;t know Tamil, would surely benefit.

Once again My Hearty felicitation to Sri Gandhiram!!

With respects
    Dhivakar
  • DEAR SRI GANDHI,

IN CASE YOU ARE INCLINED TO PUBLISH
    AND DOES NOT INVOLVE COPY RIGHT ISSUES -
    AND FACTS VERIFIED,

CAN ARRANGE PUBLICATION.

best regards / sps

========
  • Dear sir

Nice summary.
    Kindly see "Art thought and religion of the Bhairavas" by Dr.R.Nagasamy. It very much falls in line with your study and will be a treat for you. Also, "The presence of shiva" by stella krarmrisch.

Gokul.S

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters