Kambar : Some Land Mark we can make and discuss

1. His original Name
    and Tamil Accent
    2. His Nathamuni's Links
    3. VaLLal Sadayaippar
    4. Ottakooththar
    5. Kuloththunga-3

What wiki says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kambar_(poet)

Kambar belonged to the Ochchan or Occhan caste, traditionally nadaswaram players in southern India[2][3]. But he was brought up in the household of a wealthy farmer in Vennai Nellur in south India. The chola king Rajendra Chola having heard of this talented bard, summoned him to his court and honoured him with the title Kavi Chakravarthi or The King of Poets[1].
    Kamban flourished in the 12th Century in Therazhundur, a village in the culturally rich Thanjavur District in the modern state of Tamil Nadu in South India. Kamban was a great scholar of India's two ancient and rich languages, Sanskrit and Tamil. Mahavidwan R. Raghava Iyengar in a scholarly biography,Kavichakravarty Kamban writes in detail about this 12th century poet.
    According to tradition, Kambar's son, Ambikapathi was put to death after having fallen in love with the King's daughter and Kambar himself had to flee. In his old age, he was obliged to support himself doing manual labour[1]. He was then supported and patronized by his friend Vallal Sadaiyappa Mudaliar[4].
  • Dear Dhivakar,

I know .. relying on WEB information alone will not do.

will check what is avl in print media already and revert.

regards / sps
  • Dear Dhivakar Sir,

I agree with you that the wiki details on Kambar seem to have lot of flaws. I don't have much understanding of the Period of Kambar, and so would follow this thread closely, mostly as a reader.

One thing I wanted to highlight is: Mudali or MudalikaL mentioned in Srivaishnavaite books are not a caste name – so that cannot be connected with the caste name of `Mudaliyaar'. `MudalikaL' in Ramanuja period/Srivaishnavaite books refer to the people who are disciples of Ramanuja or a particular acharya/guru, and the disciples came from multiple castes. I am sure you know this with your extensive reading of these books.

An additional information on Kamba-ramayanam's arangetram at Srirangam: There are accounts mentioning this happening at Nathamuni's time, Ramanuja's time and Parasara Bhattar's time. None of these can be taken as correct unless it is confirmed from other sources.
  • Thanks Kumaran for closely watching.

I do not prescribe Mudali or MudaligaL in caste category. But these words appeared in works of elders. Mudali who takes respects from the King or Mutt Leader as first in Line and probably Leader in meaning too.

Mudhal Amaichar too Mudali only. (Madurai Naickers' Viswanatha Mudaliar was very famous name)But what I sought here Sadaiyappa Mudaliar, the wiki quoted to be checked, because mudalikaL and mudaliyaar in meaning both are same.
    Actually in books he was quoted only Sadayappa VaLLal only, not mudaliar.

Anyhow, let us find out more. That is why this thread started.
    If you have any details, please contribute.

Dhivakar

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters