Period of Azhwars
  • Dear Vizag Dhivakar,

I recall you brushing aside - when I told you 2 - 3 years back the following episode ::

In The book titled 108 Divyadesam by Ethirajan - Vaishnava Sidhantha Kazhagam, Karaikkudi - re SEEKAZHI VINNAGARAM - it was mentioned that when Thirumangai was passing through with his disciples, he was asked to move silently because sambandar was resting and there were exchanges between the two subsequently and Sambandar impressed with Thirumangai - gave him a VEL (Spear type) ..

Lateron Thirumangai composed on Sambandar on the lines "when you could bring back a girl to life from ashes, why left this Thiumangai .. - in Nayagi - Nyagan bhavam "

At that time you told me : SPS - the incident could have never occured .. because Thirumangai was much later to Sambandar !!

Today I found it as the right occasion to confess ! (though I verified the details immdiately and found you to be correct, I could not record it earlier !).

Also recording our present CM's remark when he spoke to you recently :: "Read EMDEN ! "

( In Emden Novel - published last year - Vizag Dhivakar mixes RRC's Samadhi state and wrote !).

http://tamilartsacademy.com/articles/article08.xml

As a result of the above study the following are our conclusions:-

1) The Vaigai bed inscription is that of Cendan Maran who ruled atleast for 50
    years (650-700 A.D.)

2) He was the hero of the Tamil work Pandikkovai.

3) The chronology of the early Pandyas could be placed at the beginning of about
    560 A.D.

4) The city of Mangalapura established by Arikesari was located in the Pandya
    country.

5) But the Mangalapura where his son defeated the Maharatas is identical with Mangalore.

6) Appar was a contemporary of Mahendra, Mamalla and the Pandya Arikesari.

7) Appar's date would be circa 580-660 A.D.

8) Jnanasambandar was a contemporary of Mamalla I, and Pandya Arikesari Nedumaran.

9) Sambandar's date would be circa 640-656 A.D.

10) Thirumangai was a contemporary of Rajasimha and Nedunjadaiyan of the Pandyas and Nandivarman Pallavamalla and may be assigned between 700 and 800.

11) Nammalvar's date would be about 745 to 780 A.D.

12) Periyalvar was a contemporary of Sri Mara Srivallabha and his date would be Circa 800-885.

13) Andal is to be assigned to the second half of 9th century.

best regards / sps
  • Thanks for remembering.

During the Gnanasambandhar period, there was a necessity towards co-ordination of all faiths on the basis of Vedhic culture to destroy the non-vedhic theories.

The periods of Kaliyan (Thirumangai) was already established through his 'pasurams' itself.

The recent article of your's through Dr. Nagasamy, was an excellent one. It has almost brought out the years of Alwars and Nayanmars.

Then coming to a new point of Kambar period, Kambar might have emerged immediately and after lettle time after Nammazhwar/Madhura Kavi. I recently read one Old book written by KATHIRESEA MUDIALIAR, which said during early 10th century, Nadhamuni and Kambar faced each other at Srirangamduring arangetram of Kambaramayanam, Nadhamuni asked Kambar to to minimise the exploitation of Sadayappa VaLLal in Ramayana.Earlier Kambar put VaLLal's name in every 100 paasuram, but after that he agreed to put every 1000 verses. (Ayiraththil Oruvar!!)

When Nadhamuni's period is well during early part of 10th c., Kambar, like Nadhamuni, was a strong follower of Nammaalwar, who wrote 'Satoghopa Anthaathi' on the great Saint.

The present Srirangam claims of Kambar arangetram has some points, it seems.

Dhivakar
  • Aazhvargal Kaalanilai - Mu Raghava Iyengar

History Of the srivaishnavas - T.A. Gopinath Rao
  • Dear Dhivakar,

WOW.. KAMBAR..

When Nadhamuni's period is well during early part of 10th c., Kambar, like Nadhamuni, was a strong follower of Nammaalwar, who wrote 'Satoghopa Anthaathi' on the great Saint.

The present Srirangam claims of Kambar arangetram has some points, it seems.

LET US ENLIST WHAT IS KNOWN RE KAMBAR IN THE FIRST PLACE.

thanks and regrds / sps

=================

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters