AVANI GANDARVA ISWARA GRIHAM- Balarama worship
  • Friends

Sangamhas many references of Balarama.( Purananuru padal no 56, 58, natrinai padal no 32, Paripadal -2, Thirumurugatrupadai, kalithogai padal no 25, 35)

The tamil name Vellaiyan denotes Balarama. ( Kannaiyan is krishna).

Now the only place i remeber seeing Balarama is in The Parthasarathy temple garbagraham. next to Parthasarathi. To his left. Rukmini to his right.
  • Dear Sankaranarayan,

It will be help if you relevant English translation too.
    Dear Member Katherine will be able to note that Balaraman worship did exist in Tamilnadu.

Vellaiayan (White person) - Balaraman

Kannayan - Dark person - Krishnan !!

Also recall you mentioned KulothungaI renovated Mannargudi Rajagopal samy temple. Will be glad if you canfurnish essential details.

regards /sps
  • A detailed article by Dr.RNagasamy explains the vellai nagar vazhipadu - white snake worship

I begin to think that the snake statue we see in almost every single temple sometimes with krishna and sometimes without krishna is a reminiscence of balarama worship.

Do you know what is balaramas flag? Palm tree flag! Imagined to be that of pazhuvettaraiyars in PS!!

G
  • Dear Gokul,
    Not just any palm is Balarama cognizance: must be fan palm only, I
    think. Not certain.
    Here's one at foot of tree near Heliodorus Pillar, Vidisha, MP.
  • Hi
    i mentioned 3 different things.

1. The references in Sangam. I have never mentioned that in sangam he is mentioned a s velliayan.  The referred songs by me donot have any Vellaiyan in that. i know that while writing the numbers.

2.The second ref is the Common tamil name - vellaiyan in use even today. (My Post The tamil name Vellaiyan denotes Balarama. ( Kannaiyan is krishna).) 

There is a Tamil name Vellaiyan which is still in use among Tamilians. Mostly in Chettinad.
    When i enquired this practise in my native karaikudi, the refernce for the name, i was explained by my tamil teachers  that Vellaiyan ( white person ) denotes balaraman . Simillarly the name kannaiyan( dark person) denotes krishna.

3. The third info is on Balaraman in Thiruvallikeni temple. That is another fact.

• Borassus (Palmyra Palm) is a genus of six species of fan palms,
    what exactly are you objecting to?
    kathie
  • sir

to my knowledge, It was Balaramar who was replaced by Buddha, rather than krishnar being replaced...

balaramar is considered to be the avataram of "Adiseshan"..

heard a story that, Lakshmanar was adiseshan in Rmavataram and was subordinate to Ramar and could not voice his concern to ramar on certain issues like seethai agnipravesam and stuff like that..

this made him a little worried that he might not be able to voice his concern when vishnu does something wrong during krishnavataram if he is subordinated to Vishnu in krishnavataram also....

so, vishnu assured that Adiseshan would be his elder brother during krishnavataram and he would obey whatver adiseshan says in the form of balaramar....

vishnu compelled adiseshan to take balaramavataram .. adiseshan being physically very powerful was needed by krishnar in the form of balaramar to eradicate evil ...

to compensate his agony
  • Dear Dhiwakarb,
    Just to add to the confusion, learning about renowned pairs of hero /
    Gods :
    if, in "MBh.", Arjuna/Krishna are avataras for NaraNarayana?

Who occupy a similar place in the "Ramayana"?

Does this have to do w history? Not sure. Delete if might be offensive
    to anyone. . .
    Kathie
  • thats what is being said madam

also , recent nara-narayana avatarams are Ramakrishna paramahamsar - Vivekananda....

ramakrishnar says this himself that he is narayana and swami vivekananda is nara ...

ramakrishnar says that he had a vision of a child coming into narayana's(himself)lap and wanting to be born as human and that is swami vivekananda..

regarding nara narayana in ramayanam, have not heard anything like that madam to my knowledge....

btw, why do you think that your post is offensive to warrant a deletion?????

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters