An Interesting Novel - Toss of a Lemon
  • I read this novel ( Author is one Padma Vishwanathan )upon recommendation from dear Kathie.

It is an interesting period saga spanning five decades and three generations - beginning with Sivakami - the young brahmin child bride from a village near Dindigul who later is widowed at 15 and single handedly raises her children and manages her land, property and raises her two children to adulthood. The author has done very extensive research on life in the late 18th and early 19th century and the story has great nostalgic memories for those whose ancestors lived like Sivakami did.

The children of Sivakami grow up into the freedom struggle - her son even ends up having an encounter with Kalki himself and other freedom fighters of that era. The grand daughter becomes a huge fan of Kalki's literary work especially Sivakamiyin Sabatham (am typign the whole name considering the parellel discussion on Hitler and SS!!)

The story ends with Sivakami's great grand daughter who is settled in Canada and looks back at the ancestral line - a thin parellel to the author herself who is a south indian lady settled in canada.

Anyways it was very interesting to read a book in English on a period saga in southern india. The author makes no social comments but lets Sivakami's story speak for itself on situation of women, caste biases and the freedom struggle. Other than Sivasankari's super descriptive Paalangal i have not read any other novel of life and family situations in southern india in that period.Also this is the first novel probably where Kalki appears as himself meeting the people involved in the story.

Anyone else can read the book and it would make an interesting discussion.

Thanks Kathie for the recommendation and this goes on my list of best reads for last year!!

Malathi
  • toss of a lemon

http://anocturne.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/the-toss-of-a-lemon-by-padma-vishwanathan/

should read it. and just till i get the book just what does kalki do as a charecter

venketesh
  • >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The grand daughter becomes a huge fan of Kalki's literary work especially Sivakamiyin Sabatham (am typign the whole name considering the parellel discussion on Hitler and SS!!)

ha ha thanks maloo,

though there is constant discussion whether punning is the lowest form of wit or the highest form of intellect nothing tickles your brain like one.

the best definition i have is
    To pun is to treat homonyms as synonyms

and the best trivia i have is shakespere was a habitual punner. there are more than 3000 cases of his punning

venketesh
  • Venkat,

Kalki is portrayed as a progressive writer. The son of the heroine Sivakami attends many meetings and parties with political and literary figures and at one of these he meets Kalki. There is no direct dialogue but he comes back and tells his family about Kalki's views on freedom struggle and also his forays into being a music and movie critic. There is mention of lathi charge when Tyaga Bhoomi is screened. Then the grand daughter Janaki reads SS and describes the story to her husband.

I am really sorry you found this review on the book which to me seems very unfair and biased. There are lots of great reviews on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Toss-Lemon-Padma-Viswanathan/dp/0547247877/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263780317&sr=8-1

Malathi
  • Hi Maloo
    i read the review after i posted it.

but am getting more and more curious

is the kalki incident based in mayavaram

where he did the thani nabar sathyagraha?
    he had a personal permission from mahathma( vasan wasnt too impressed and fired him anyway)

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters