Understand our cnt oncerns
  • I don't think the problem is as easy as just posting references. For one thing there are lots of different references on the internet and elsewhere, some pertinent to the topic and some otherwise and some purely a well written article that is the author's opinion but seems otherwise.

Keeping it simple the basic problem i have seen is posting religious references when we are having a history discussion and vice versa.For many people religion is fact without a second thought for others it is not so. So how does one bridge the gap? Not really easy. Next there are lots of discussions where people want other people's opinions and get upset if it is not what they think. You cannot post your own opinion with a 'reference' and there are some ethical guidelines on opinions - we even had some 'opinions' long time ago justifying Sati - by present day standards those are unethical, even though an individual's opinion.

To sum it up we cannot do without moderator guidelines on anything. Also just fyi someone doing research should never post another person's opinions as shared on the internet (with or without references). A valid research is backed by published/authorised material not by posts on groups.

Malathi
  • > I don't think the problem is as easy as just posting references. For one thing there are lots of different references on the internet and elsewhere, some pertinent to the topic and some otherwise and some purely a well written article that is the author's opinion but seems otherwise.

Hi Maloo
    in a decade the world jumped from a less or no information platform to excessive information platform.
    truly this is a more difficult situation weeding out the unwanted or incorrect.
    just imagine the number of books that have been burnt in history because their contents were not palatable to one sect.
    even in tamilnadu one of sujatha's novel in kumudham hurt the nadars and there was a case of burning the copies.

but now the flood gates are open. anybody can say whatever they want on a widely available platform the internet.every view point is amply represented.

governments try in vain to stifle it but cant.

a situation where a person with good reasoning and a time to weed out the info not needed with truly become enlightened .

venketesh
  • Yep, this is accurate summation.

>> For many people religion is fact without a second thought for
    >> others it is not so. So how does one bridge the gap? Not really
    >> easy. Next there are lots of discussions where people want other
    >> people's opinions and get upset if it is not what they think. You >> cannot post your own opinion with a 'reference' and there are some >> ethical guidelines on opinions.

History many times is written by people present during that time with a specific mind set, however many religious texts portray that mind set of people during that era.

Many western authors do not understand the religious sentiments of that era or have a pre classified notion based on their view points on religion. Either ways, west has written our history in a screwed up way, not that our guys have done any better. British have done enough damage to the system too.

Reality however is the challenge as the world opens up via the internet. Questioning scholars will come, answers must be convincing if not the ground will be shaken.

Well, after all, the world we know is now physically not flat as how people saw prior to the biblical times yet it is virtually flat.

- R
  • >
    > Well, after all, the world we know is now physically not flat as how people saw prior to the biblical times yet it is virtually flat.

Hi ravi
    that is precisely the problem with linking other subjects with religion
    like hindu history, that is christian geography.

what has a flat or round earth to do with god.?

venketesh

>
    > - R
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
  • > what has a flat or round earth to do with god.?

Irukku thalaiva irukku...
    Finding flaws in the creation of the Almighty Nature, the part of 'holier than thou' is always attempted by man.

Religion has always questioned science and vice versa. When the human heart stops beating, religion says, atma is gone where as science says cardiac arrest with a bunch of reasons.

Either ways, both do not have the mastery of how to retain the heart beating.

While the meter does tilt to religion in understanding and accepting death as a part of nature, science fights that.

- R
  • Dear Ravi

I beg to differ Science unravels the mastery of the creator!

In Angels and Demons of Dan brown that is one of the key disussion points...Yes Vatican was against science and did not accept the heliocentricity Galileo Proposed...

Science has sustained hearts when they stop beating...Pacemakers...Heart Transplant...As someone who has done it..its a great marvel to see the heart arrested and after surgery getting it to beat...

As a surgeon I am proud that the international surgical community accept the mastery of sushrutha

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

To: [email protected]
  • Well, the galaxies appear to be flat! Sampath
  • Dear Dr.Sridhar

Doctors are next to the 'God' or supreme nature, I am happy that your service is of great value to humans.

But I have to defer at a point where the greatest of Doctors can only postpone the inevitable.

Even if some one clocks 100, that reminds me of the last lines of Tom Hanks from the movie Green Mile.

- R

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters