• Friends, indians and tamizhans...

i have a question regarding the usage of the word "madhiyam" to mean afternoon in tamil.

i was watchinga programme by Peraasiriyar nannan, where he condemned the usage of the word....

acc to him "madhiyam" means time of nila and not afternoon..

he was literally shouting that even the so called great writers used the term "madhiyam" ... acc to him the correct term is "Pirpagal" for afternoon...

please clarify....

appaada... oru full subject matterai englislaye ezhudhi mudichitten...
  • Ayanam denotes the sun's position in sanskrit.

Madyanam is when the sun is in the Madyam - middle.

Madyanaiham is the sandya worship to be done at noon.

Madyananam should ( my guess) is shortened to madiyam.
  • I had the feeling that Madhiyam was from Madhyanam or Madhyam.
    The midday rituals are called Madhyanikam (of course sanskrit)
    It should mean more the midday, rather than the time when Moon is around.

So depending upon where you place the origin, the meaning could differ.
  • In the usage that I am familiar with, "madhiyam" is noon. "Pirpagal" is afternoon.
  • sirs...

you know peraasiriyar nannan very well.. he is averse using wrong words and more averse to using sanskrit in tamil..and so are many people who are learned scholars.. i respect nannan for his knowledge rather than his opinion on certain things.... in fact i learnt tamizh reasonably well because of his programmes in DD when i was a kid...

i think the correct word as pointed out by him is only pirpagal.... also when describing siva it is said that "maththamum madhiyamum vaithidum aran....." meaning having maththam and nila...

so to my knowledge, madhiyam is not the right word for meaning afternoon....so whererever possible, let us use pirppagal instead of madhiyam to mean afternoon...humble request though...

eppadiyo ennoda arivu inge velipattiduchchu....
  • Sir,
    Nannan is a respected Tamil Scholar. No debates on that. His views are to be considered.

Pirpagal - means afternoon, Would Pagal mean Noon then?

Madhiyam should mean Noon and Not afternoon.

The point being discussed is more the origin, hence the derived meaning.
  • sir

before 12 is murppagal.. exact 12 is nannpagal... after 12 is pirppagal....

so pirppagal is the right word... madhiyam is a tamil word referring to nila.. and a sanskrit word cannot be used for meaning afternoon.. is my humble contention.....
  • Need to go deep.
    Then masil veenaiyum malai madiyamum.
    Malai madiyam - dose it mean evening moon. No moon in malai.

need to go deeper on madiyam.

Nannan! Tamil scholar!!. Once during the Tamil newyear change he wrote in Ananda Vikadan ( or JV dont remember)thatChittirai, Vaigasi ...is not tamil. ) (appadi Podu). Looks he has not considered sambandar, appar, andal, sangam all as Tamil.he gave aadu, Thuali etc as names of Tamil month which is actually the tamil names for mesham Rishabam etc..

Need to check more.
  • sir

mun maalai .. pin maalai kelvipattiruppeengale...

and during vlarpirai, madhi rises in the evening sir.. talking about pirai soodiya sivan...
  • ange dhaan sir problem.. thappana usage aa illaiyaannu dhaan inge argument..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters