ARJUNA THABAS PANEL
  • I too read this article appeared in ‘The Hindu’. I have some reservation on the points mentioned by Mr. Dr. Baluswami.

Most of researchers have already agreed this is Arjuna Thabas Panel. Let us also go along with them when lot of proofs shown on this.

But his contention on the place of Thabas, i.e. Himalayas, is debatable. I have to seek some details from scholars who known better about Himalayas whether there a hill called Indrakil was there. But at the same time, there were ample proof available with us that Indrakiladhri (Indhrakil hills) is very much in the Southern part of peninsula, and present Vijayawada Hill range is actually called as Indrakilaadhri even now.

Mahakavi Bharavi’s’ Kiraataarjuniyam’ which mentions indrakiladhri hills and srisailam Hills (Shivasaila), clearly shown the place of Arjuna who did thabas and Shiva appeared as Hunter and after brief spat, Shiva appeared before him in original form and blessed him with pasubhathaastra. The places he mentioned suits to southern parts. Srisailam was also recorded as Siva Sailam during Sathavahana, Ikkshvaaku and Pallava times.

Apart from Bharavi’s descriptions, the swayambu Shivalingam at Srisailam was named ‘Mallikarjuna Swamy after Malleshwara and Arjuna, both fought for a varaha (boar). The Malleshwara Swamy (Shiva was worshipped in this name at Vijayawada) along with Arjuna chasing a varaha upto Srisailam Hill range appeared to be a true incident one, if anybody observed the geographically situated places of both Vijayawada Hills and the continuation of Srisailam Hills which form after Krishna parting these ranges in two places in between.

The sthalapurana of Srisailam and Vijayawada confirms of Shiva and Arjuna’s theory, where Arjuna got the Pasubhathaasthra from Shiva.

Apart from Arjuna Thabas at these Hill ranges, there were also proofs that Pandava did stay at these Hills during their ‘sojourn in the forests. During this peiod only Arjuna did penance for pasapathaasthra as per the advise of Srikrishna. And there were many Madhava Temple at present wherever Kunthi stayed and prayed Vishnu and five of the deities were called as ‘Kunthi Madhava’.

One such Kunthi Madhava Temple situated at Padmanabham in the same Eastern Hill range, which is little farther than Indhra Kladhri. Recently I took our Chandra and Sukumaran too to this Temple.

The Hill range near Visakhapatnam was called as Bhimaadhri and later a small portion was named after Simhachala Varaha Narasimhamurthi. A town nearby called as Bheemunipatnam. And Pandava did pray Shivalingas in Central Andhra Hill ranges, one such area was called as Pandavalinga in the forest area of western Godavari district.

I surprise most of times, the historical and puranic incidents happened in northern border of Tamilnadu conveniently forgotten by our researchers. Even in finding roots of Pallava’s history too.

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/
  • > Mahakavi Bharavi’s’ Kiraataarjuniyam’ which mentions indrakiladhri hills and srisailam Hills (Shivasaila), clearly shown the place of Arjuna who did thabas and Shiva appeared as Hunter and after brief spat, Shiva appeared before him in original form and blessed him with pasubhathaastra. T

Dear Dhiwaker
    thiruvetkalam in chidambaram has the same legend, and the lord is called pasupatheshwarar

lovely temple. was very close to my college.

venketesh
  • There are not many South Indian sites on the Mahatirthayatra, Vana
    Parva, MBh,
    but Shri [Srisailam] is definitely the prominent one. But wouldn't
    South Indians want to
    think Kiratarjuna took place in the South, & Northerners want to think
    it took place in Himalayas?
    There is quite a distance between SriSailam and Indrakiladhri Hills
    where KannakaDurga temple is.
    Which one do you think it was?
    Does Mallikarjuna have to do with white jasmine?
    Kathie
  • Dear Kathy!

Happy New Year!!
    Sri sailam is mentioned in vana parvatha of MbH. It was called as Sri Parvatha and in Tamil it is called as Thiru Paruppatha Malai (translated as it is) and three saints of Tamil Vedha, Gnana Sambantha, Thirunavukkarasar and Sundarar sang songs on Paruppatha Nathar, i.e Shiva.

There were ample proof provided by Tamil Saint Thirunavukkarasar in his songs that Arjuna got the blessing of Shiva, who came as a hunter,here at Srisailam. The Jyothirlingam here has many names, and one is Mallikarjuna Swamy. According to legends, The Vijayawada name derived from Vijayan, means Arjuna. The sthalapurana here says that Arjuna prayed Malleshwara, the presiding Diety in the Indrakiladhri hillsalong with Kanaka Durga.

A tamil discussion is going on in Min Tamil, and a great SanskritScholar Mr. Dev said that Indrakiladhri is situated in Himalayas and sthala puranas can be over-ruled when compared to original format of Mahabharath. But our elders like Thirunavukkarasar counted this hill as the one where Arjuna got Pasupathaasthram.

Friends to follow this quite intresting discussion in Tamil can browse
    http://groups.google.com/group/mintamil/browse_thread/thread/6c9fc9365b9df07e

A Very happy New Year to one and all,

Dhivakar.

When you compare the distances of Himalaya range with Eastern Ranges like Vijayawada Indrakilaadhri and Srisailam, is just very little only.
  • this following mail has gone into myspam folder thinking the same with you all. so, I am reposting here.

And Kathy, there is connection with jasmine flower and Swamy at Srisailam, as far as I know.

Dear Kathy!

Happy New Year!!
    Sri sailam is mentioned in vana parvatha of MbH. It was called as Sri Parvatha and in Tamil it is called as Thiru Paruppatha Malai (translated as it is) and three saints of Tamil Vedha, Gnana Sambantha, Thirunavukkarasar and Sundarar sang songs on Paruppatha Nathar, i.e Shiva.

There were ample proof provided by Tamil Saint Thirunavukkarasar in his songs that Arjuna got the blessing of Shiva, who came as a hunter,here at Srisailam. The Jyothirlingam here has many names, and one is Mallikarjuna Swamy. According to legends, The Vijayawada name derived from Vijayan, means Arjuna. The sthalapurana here says that Arjuna prayed Malleshwara, the presiding Diety in the Indrakiladhri hillsalong with Kanaka Durga.

A tamil discussion is going on in Min Tamil, and a great SanskritScholar Mr. Dev said that Indrakiladhri is situated in Himalayas and sthala puranas can be over-ruled when compared to original format of Mahabharath. But our elders like Thirunavukkarasar counted this hill as the one where Arjuna got Pasupathaasthram.

Friends to follow this quite intresting discussion in Tamil can browse
    http://groups. google.com/ group/mintamil/ browse_thread/ thread/6c9fc9365 b9df07e

A Very happy New Year to one and all,

Dhivakar.

When you compare the distances of Himalaya range with Eastern Ranges like Vijayawada Indrakilaadhri and Srisailam, is just very little only.
  • Karaikkal also considered as the sthalam where arjunan got his pasupadam ( Thelichery)

( In the evening will check tellichery thevaram)

The Vijayamangai near kumbakonam is - according to appar - Panduvin Magan Parthan Pani sei.

Vijayawada got that name because of Durga's Vijaya ( victory) - as for i know

Srisailam - swami is malligai and ambikai is the bee ( vandu) that drinks the honey of the malligai ( Pramaramba - Pramaram - Vandu)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters