Reflecting a rich heritage - kathirgaamam
  • hi friends!
    There is a famous temple for God Murugan in the southern coast of Sri Lanka called "Kathirgaamam", where "Veddas" (vEduvar) tribes are carrying out all the temple activities as "poosari".
    The temple is situated within the jungle and it is believed that VaLLiyammai lived there (where God murugan fall in love with her as well). There is also a hill called VaLLimalai.
    Still the very old traditions are maintained there.
    You can also find about that temple in Arunagirinathar's lyrics.
    anpudan,
    vijayaalayan
  • vijay

I thought Valli lived in Vallimalai in North Arcot and got married in Thiruthani to Murugan

Sri
  • Hi Sridhar!
    All what I can say is...
    Still the people in the Kathirgaamam area live in the very old type life-style... hunting, "thinai" fields, paddy fields,...... and that life style exactly resembles what is told in the "Murugan & Valli's love story".
    The great worshiper of God Murugan, Arunagirinathar, who wrote lots of lyrics has mentioned about that temple ("kathirakaamak kathirvElaa ....").
    Kathirgaamam is situated in the Rohana-nadu mentioned in the Ponniyin Selvan.
    anpudan,
    vijayaalayan
  • For those who are interested.

http://kataragama.org/research/kailasa.htm

http://kataragama.org/index.htm

anpudan,
    mathy

> Kathirgaamam is situated in the Rohana-nadu mentioned in the
    Ponniyin Selvan.
    > anpudan,
    > vijayaalayan

>
    > I thought Valli lived in Vallimalai in North Arcot and got
    married in Thiruthani to Murugan
    >
    > Sri
  • Dear Vijay

I ve enjoyed reading about Rohana nadu more in Akilan's Vengaiyin Mainthan ( story set in Rajendra cholas time where Ilango the hero retieves the Indiramalai and navarathna kreeedam of the pandyas kept safely in Rohanam)than in Kalki because in PS he just mentions it where as in VM He describes it so vividly and its so beautiful.
    Tirukonamalai
    I agree with you that things havent changed in the landscape between pS time and now

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters