Part 2 Chapter 8
  • (First of all my advanced apologize for any mistakes in my English. To be frank I m not good in English)

Part 2 Chapter 8

In the Nothern part of ILANGAI, next to the Jaffna peninsula, there are several islands such as "Nayinatheevu", "Pungudutheevu", "Neduntheevu" (Delft),........

In this chapter...... (paragraph 12).... Poonguzhali mentions about "naahaththeevu"......
    Naahaththeevu is now called as nayinaa-theevu. I think Naahaththeevu is the proper name and correct and . There is a famous Hindu kovil for "Naaha-pooshani-amman". So, the name mentioned in PS is the correct name for that island.

But, the continueing sentence contradicts..... There is no such land routes from Naahaththeevu to the other parts of ILANGAI as it is an island. The only possiblity is..... Vanthiyaththevan would have used any public transport (boat service) to enter Jaffna peninsula and proceed (again from Jaffna...... has to use a boat to go to Maathottam between Keratheevu - Sanguppiddi). As ILANGAI Tamils were good in sea transport services from pre-historic times, Vanthiyaththevan would have managed.

paragraph 17......
    The facts about the geography and wildlife mentioned are the real facts. Even now you can see the Wild animals along the coastal line path to Maathottam. Even now, there is a Wild life sanctuary called "Willpaththu" near by, which is the biggest national park in our country and you can find Leopards, Elephants, etc there.
    There is a sentence as Vanthiyaththevan describes ILANGAYAR as uncultured / dangerous people and Poonguzhali denies it as utter lie.
    Unfortunatenly...... even now some outsiders (including some TAMILNADU Tamils, I m really sorry to write this) call ILANGAI / EELA THAMILAR as "Tigers" / LTTE / dangerous people........ But, only we know what all happened to ILANGAI THAMILAR, how we suffered, ......... all we know is "LOSSES".
    (nowadays due to the biased impact of Mass-media, backed by people in power, wrong messages are passed along the world, and most people believe what they see / listen from Mass-media as they are).
    Here we have to thank characters like "Poonguzhali" in the PS, for understanding us.

Paragraph 18........
    Vanthiyaththevan says as "Chola forces are there from Mathottam to Pulasthiya-naharam".
    Mathootam, as mentioned in PS and "Thevarangal" (Hindu lyrics by Sampanthar and Suntharar)..... is a place of important for Tamils for both Religous and Historical aspects. There was a big God Siva Temple called "Thiru-ketheeswaram", as mentioned in "thevaarangal", which was destroyed entirely by Portugese. The Kovil was rebuilt after 1950 and again damaged due to recent wars. The name in use for Maathottam now is "Maanthai". It is a Tamil area.
    Pulasthiya-naharam is now called as "Pollannaruwa". It is an area where Sinhalese live. Earlier Anuradhapuram was the capital of the Sinhala regime and Cholas changed Pulasthiya-naharam as capital, as it is situated close to Maathottam (Tamil area from prehistoric times) from where they get helps immediately. Chola Kings built Kovils for God Siva, and still few are existing (in abandoned state) without any care as no Tamils there.

Paragraph 19......
    There are conversations about "Pootha" / "Potha theevu". Now the island is called as "Pungudu-theevu". I could not find any reason for the new name. So, "Poonguzhali's theory" mentioned there, again works.
    All what I know is..... people from that island are successful businessmen.

I want to wait for few comments before writing again and I welcome all of your comments even if they are criticisms.
    And, again and again all what I wish to say is...... all what I write here are of my own view......... I never have any intension to hurt anybody by any chance........

Bye!

anpudan,
    Vijayalayan
  • Vanakkam Vijayaalayare,

It was a wonderful job. I enjoyed it a lot esp. because I come from
    Punguduthivu. Even though I had spent only 3 years there,
    Punguduthivu holds a special place for me.

I too have wondered about the usage of 'Pootha theevu'.

If any one is interested in learning more about Punguduthivu. Pls
    check this out.

http://www.pungudutivu.com/Phistory.cfm

Jaybee Sir told me a bit about the the historical connections of
    Punguduthivu. I will make it into a jpg file and upload it.

BY THE BY - What happened to solving the Periya Kovil Saaram
    Puzzle??? (Since I could not figure it out, I was watching eagerly
    from the sidelines.)

anpudan,
    Mathy

>
    > In the Nothern part of ILANGAI, next to the Jaffna peninsula, there
    are several islands such
    as "Nayinatheevu", "Pungudutheevu", "Neduntheevu" (Delft),........
    >

> Paragraph 19......
    > There are conversations about "Pootha" / "Potha theevu". Now the
    island is called as "Pungudu-theevu". I could not find any reason for
    the new name. So, "Poonguzhali's theory" mentioned there, again works.
    > All what I know is..... people from that island are successful
    businessmen.
    >

>
    > Bye!
    >
    > anpudan,
    > Vijayalayan
  • Interesting facts Vijayalayan. Keep writing. Hope your mails will bring back the discussions here.
    About naagatheevu: I have a couple of doubts.
    1. What is the distance between naagatheevu and jaffna, the mainland?
    2. Oceanographic studies have shown the part (Northern SL and Tamil Nadu, India stretch) of Indian ocean is cyclone prone (correct me if I am wrong!). This fact has been very deftly handled in the novel aswell. Is there a possibility that 1000 years back there *was* a stertch of land ( an isthumus of sorts) between naaga 'theevu', (a misnomer, then) and the main land, which could have gone under the sea due to some kind of sea erosion and/or cyclone?
    3. I dont know if I should be asking this. I am just curious. How long has the thamizhar/sinhalese problem been there in SL? I think Kalki has used a lot of cliches chipping in current conditions (in 40s and 50s) into his novel. In the same chapter which you have mentioned, Poonguzhali says to VD: asurargal (yutham seibavargal) were trying to turn this (SL) heaven to hell. I was wondering if this problem existed back then and it was Kalki's way of expressing it. I have read that he travelled to SL twice when he wrote the novel to look at all the places he was to mention in the book. What do you all think?Rocket mail perumale! ennanga pesave maatengringa? Nanum KVR-um ungakitta pesinom. Neenga pesave illaye ??!Waiting for more,
    Thilak

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
    ~ George Bernard Shaw
  • >Interesting facts Vijayalayan. Keep writing. Hope your mails will bring back the discussions here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters